• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New FX Crown owner

My crown also came with a stupidly high reg pressure for a 0.22 - Just under 150bar. It's almost as if they built and set it up as a 0.25 or 0.30 and then just slapped on the wrong barrel and probe.

Made a big difference to ES, accuracy and shot count lowering the reg pressure. The reg is also much more stable now at 120bar. Previously it would creep up a fair bit. 

Are you saying the reg pressure fluctuates between shots? If so, it's possible it needs to settle in but more likely something wrong.

If you're saying it has a higher pressure right after a fill then drops off after a shot or two, I'd say that's normal.

When I fill mine, the reg pressure gauge always reads a few Bar high. What I do is burn two shots (no pellet) and then it's good for the rest of the fill.

I think it's normal for the reg to fluctuate a couple of Bar from fill to fill until it settles in, maybe around 500 - 1,000 pellets. Mine took about 1,000 at 140bar before the needle settled solidly on 140.

But even my worst ES was about 20, which is more than acceptable on any day. The fact that mine has produced single digit ES several times is just fantastic, and goes to show that tuning the hammer spring to the reg pressure is totally worth the time it takes to do it.

I didn't keep good enough notes but out of the box, it was 140. After filling the bottle it was 155, after shooting two magazines it was 150. This morning it was at 160 after sitting all night.

I decided to lower the regulator pressure to see if the pressure would stabilize, so I pulled the bottle, degassed it, screwed it in some, put the bottle on, and adjusted it to around 130.

My hearing isn't very good so I didn't notice it had a leak but did notice the bottle pressure dropping faster than normal. I put the rifle up to my ear and could hear the air coming out.

I pulled it apart including pulling the regulator, didn't see anything obvious, put it back together, no leak. At the moment I have no clue what was leaking but it started right after I pulled the bottle, degassed it, screwed the regulator screw in and pressured it up again. I did turn the adjuster screw out (CC) a couple of times to bring the pressure up, but that's all I did.

I didn't have any luck with adjusting the hammer spring at several different pressures, 140, 130, currently set at 125. The spread was always 40-50 between adjustments I couldn't really tell where the peak was.

I finally gave up for today, set the hammer spring housing clearance to 8.5 mm, shot 18 over the chronograph and ended up with an average of 903, ES 49 with the regulator at 125.

I shot a few pellets at the target to check the scope and it looks like the pellets are hitting the target sideways, it's making an oblong hole, not a nice clean round one.

Maybe tomorrow I will clean the barrel and try some non lubed pellets and see if that fixes that issue. It seems to group well even with all that's going on.

Cheers, PB

I feel for you, as I'm having problems with a new Red Wolf. If you are seeing evidence of pellets keyholing, then I think your problem is greater than a slight reg tuning issue. That will not result from a velocity variance, unless it is huge. With air rifles, we don't have the many ammo issues as found in cartridge rifles. If velocity is even nearly acceptable, gross accuracy issues would seem to have to be the result of a barrel problem, assuming there is not something like pellet clipping going on with a moderator. The Crown is unique in that it has numerous parts in its barrel assembly, and I expect your problem will be related to one or more of them. I've been rather amazed that my Crown shoots so well, given a design that has so many areas of potential problems. 

Here I thought I was done messing with it, but I just couldn't let it go. I figured out it only tumbles the pellet when the shroud is extended, nice round hole when it's pushed all the way in.

I don't see any marks on the exit hole of the end cap, it must be hitting the inside lip as it enters the end cap.

I thought about removing the end cap, but I don't have the proper tool and if I try with long nose pliers I might scratch it up and I don't want to do that in case I can send it back. If I could get the end cap off, I probably could take a file to it and fix the issue.

It just dawned on me, the sliding collar can be loosened and possibly I can reposition it so it won't hit, guess I will check that out and see what happens.

Cheers, PB

I guess I'm not seeing a problem with the design.

The Wildcat MKII, Impact and Crown all have the ST-X barrel system. I've not heard of any accuracy issues related to the design.

I haven't either Bob. I'm just saying, if he is seeing such substantial pellet instability, it's not likely the result of a slightly out of tune regulator or spring tension setting. I don't see as that leaves much left to consider except a barrel issue (again, assuming no moderator clipping). And you're right in that it could have nothing to do with the multiple-piece barrel assembly system, but simply a bad barrel, or, in this case, barrel liner. But, it would have to be a very bad one. 

I bought a synthetic 22 cal. Crown today, it should be here by next Friday ... I'll be shooting 18 gr. JSB pellets ... The guys at UA say they want to turn it before they send it out which sorta' scares me ... I'm not looking for the greatest FPS but a good comprimise between high shot count and accuracy ... Any ideas where the reg. pressure should be set to achieve this? A special thanks to Bob_O for the great hunting videos and advise concerning the Crown ...

I bought a synthetic 22 cal. Crown today, it should be here by next Friday ... I'll be shooting 18 gr. JSB pellets ... The guys at UA say they want to turn it before they send it out which sorta' scares me ... I'm not looking for the greatest FPS but a good comprimise between high shot count and accuracy ... Any ideas where the reg. pressure should be set to achieve this? A special thanks to Bob_O for the great hunting videos and advise concerning the Crown ...

How much does your shroud extend?

I wouldn't worry about using needle nosed pliers.....I used them without making a mark. But I wouldn't take a file to anything.

You might consider sending it in under warranty before removing any metal from it.

The tube extends out two inches, just enough to take a lot of the bark out, but not all.

I thought about this and decided I didn't want to wait, so I clamped my pliers in my vise so it fit the two holes perfectly and was able to put enough downward pressure and then turn the tube and it came loose. I was pretty tight, I thought I might have to heat it up but I got lucky,

I reamed out the hole a few thousands and beveled the inside hole. I also turned the tube around since it is reversible. Now with it extended it hits paper and leaves a round hole. I will know better tomorrow when it's lighter out, kind of dark here now, but I can tell the hole looks round through the scope.

One thing, every time I have it apart, I have to resight it in again.

I just received an email from USPS, those UTG scope mounts you mentioned will be here Tuesday, thanks for the mentioning them.

​​​​​​​
1549162899_13787189045c565993e57026.78932954_2019-02-02 18.03.55.jpg

Cheers, PB

Make sure the liner nut is lightly snug.

I've had my shroud and air stripper off and back on a few times.....never affected the zero. Only time I have to re-zero is when I pull the liner to clean it.

I forgot to mention, I did remove the liner when I was checking everything out. The liner seems to be 99.99% round, but when I rolled it on my table, it seemed like it might be tweaked, but it's so little, I'm not really sure. The outside of the liner isn't 100% smooth because of the rifling and my table could be off some too. I don't have a piece of glass laying around to roll it on, but it sure seems to shot straight, so I don't think there's an issue.

Cheers, PB

To all you fellow FX Crown owners I found K-Baffles that fit perfectly into the Crown's shroud. Five are just less than a 1/4 longer then the factory shroud extended position so you only need to adjust it that small amount to get them to fit snug. My Crown is 30 caliber, tuned it is shooting at 828 fps and the decibel reading a few feet in front on the barrel with the baffles is 76 decibel. I purchased a moderator for my Crown and it was in the low 90's and cost me $180 I put it on another air rifle and am sorry I ever spent that money. I am selling five of these aluminum baffles for $70 shipped USPS priority in the US. They work on all caliber Crowns though I have no decibel readings for the smaller calibers or faster fps. If you wish to transport your Crown in the case simple take the end cap off and they slide right out. I only hand tighten my end cap and have never had a problem with it becoming loose. Any questions please email me at [email protected]. Happy shooting!

I too am a new Crown owner. I have been shooting JSB 18.13 and getting very good groups. Went to dairy yesterday and did some shooting, when I came home I decided to try some 15.89 JSB's. I only got to shoot 5 pellets before the weather turned bad, and it rained all last night so I haven't been able to do any more testing yet. But this was the first 5 shot group with the 15.89's at 25 yards:

1549230458_19219088315c57617a30de04.34662436_003.jpg

Try the UTG snap-in dovetail-to-picatinny adapters. They are cheap but they might work for you. Those are the BKL adapters that I use with the 4K Pro on my Streamline, but I have it mounted with regular medium height scope rings...still a tad high but not bad. Worse is they aren't offset to the rear so my scope is quite a bit forward, which I make do with.

Received the adapters, what a clever design and they fit really well. Thanks again for suggesting them and I bought an extra pair in case I decided to put my X Sight II back onto my Marauder.

The scope still could come down some, there's just over 5/16" space, but it's much better than it was for sure. The lower the scope, the better I like it.

Cheers, PB

1549415651_9011460485c5a34e3b595a2.43108236_2019-02-04 19.43.02.jpg