• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New FX Crown owner

There should only be two on the outside of the brass transfer port. A third one is inside the TP, to seal the pellet probe. A fourth is inside the stainless barrel housing. That's the one that can be shot out of you fire the gun with the liner removed.

Thanks Bob_O,

I went back to Youtube and sure enough, it's showing three (3) o-rings on the outside of the barrel. Maybe it's a bigger caliber with a longer barrel, mine is a .22., with a 19" barrel end to end.

I did push a patch through the empty tube and nothing came out, so two o-rings for sure on my new .22.

Got it all back together, filled it using my scuba tank to 200, now out to the garage to connect it to my compressor and pressure it up the rest of the way.

Cheers, PB

Thanks everyone and I think I've got it working okay for the time being. I need different scope mounts for sure, it sits way too high.

Shot off a magazine full at my 20-yard target, I really like the one shot zero on the ATN scope, it works well. Still some fine tuning needed but I think it's good enough for any tree rats that show themselves in my KZ. The bottle was at 250, regulator at 150

1549074013_7270038025c54fe5dc836e7.65574103_2019-02-01 17.28.03.jpg

The target below is just something I created in MS Publisher, red dot is 7/16", next circle is 7/8".

1549073742_14166269375c54fd4e0710a8.01056513_First sight in.jpg

I did shot a couple full magazine over the chronograph, results were not very impressive, With bottle at 245, regulator at 155, 18 shots:

High 973, Low 927, ES 46, Average 957

Next 18 bottle at 210, regulator at 151, 18 shots:

High 985, Low 932, ES 53, Average 955

Bottle ended up at 180, regulator 150

Cheers, PB

Try the UTG snap-in dovetail-to-picatinny adapters. They are cheap but they might work for you. Those are the BKL adapters that I use with the 4K Pro on my Streamline, but I have it mounted with regular medium height scope rings...still a tad high but not bad. Worse is they aren't offset to the rear so my scope is quite a bit forward, which I make do with.

Also, if you don't need that kind of velocity, it might be best for you to lower the reg pressure. What velocity do you want to shoot? The reg pressure and hammer spring tension need to be adjusted to suit each other. Do you know how to tune?

What I do is choose a target velocity, say 930fps. Then I set the reg pressure to something low, like 130bar. With hammer spring pre-tension maxed out, I start with the hammer wheel on 1 and shoot a couple of shots. Shoot a couple more on 2, then 3 and so on up to Max. What I'm looking for is the velocity to level out as I work my way up on the hammer wheel. If it levels out but I'm short of my target velocity, then I increase reg pressure by 5 bar and start over shooting a couple of shots at each hammer wheel setting starting with 1.

I do this until I find the reg pressure that gives me my target velocity at it's chosen hammer wheel setting. From there I will shoot a full mag shot string to check for a tight Extreme Spread. Basically what you're looking for is the lowest reg pressure that will get you the velocity you want from your preferred pellet.

While you're tuning, keep in mind that you can use the "letter" side of the hammer wheel to fine-tune. The letters are basically half-steps on the number side. For instance, If you go from 5 to 4 and you get a big drop in velocity, try the hammer wheel on A and see if that gives you less of a drop. The hammer wheel settings go like this if you want to use the full range of the wheel: MAX - 5 - A - 4 - B - 3 - C - 2 - D - 1 - E - MIN.

I am currently at 140bar on my Crown 22 with 500mm barrel, Transfer Port on 25-30caliber, shooting JSB 18gr pellets at 928fps with ES of 12 and SD of 2. I've gotten ES as low as 7 and 5 a couple of times with SD of 1. The factory regulators in the new Crowns are very good.

Let us know if you need any more guidance.

:)

Don't take this as gospel, as all rifles are different, as is each owner's use and expectations. My Crown is also .22, and I'm very pleased with the way it is shooting. On a good day, it shoots close to my RAW and Steyr, and that's no small feat. I'll offer two observations, based on my experience with the Crown and a few others. First, I think your reg is set high. Mine is on 135. I haven't really kept up with shot count, but it's good. I also think you might find your best accuracy at a slightly lower velocity, which would also enhance shot count. I have consistently found best accuracy with the JSB 16 around 880. My experience with the 18 is limited. I've shot it only on the High setting which, I think is around 940 in my rifle. Accuracy is acceptable, not as good as the 16 at 880. But, it's good enough for squirrel hunting, and higher velocity with a heavier pellet is not a bad thing for hunting. Lower velocities will also help with barrel fouling. These are soft lead pellets, and if pushed hard, they will really lead up some barrels quickly. Shooting lubed pellets may help, both in barrel maintenance and accuracy, but it's very barrel specific. I haven't found much difference. 

Just a few other thoughts:

Pros:

The rifle is light, lighter than I expected.

The cocking is really smooth and easy, sooooo much better than my Marauder.

The trigger is really nice, light, smooth, better than anything I've ever shot or owned.

I like the way it's so easy to break down, very easy. If I ever have to remove the transfer port at the end of the tube, I'd like an easier way of doing that. I shouldn't have to use vise grips on anything for this rifle.

So far the grouping seems okay, about 1/2" at 20 yards right out of the box.

Cons (but livable):

There could be a little more room for fingers when trying to disconnect the air fitting.

I don't like the safety, I'm so used to the Marauder, don't even need to think about how to operate it on that rifle.

I wish it came with Weaver mounting system since my ATN scope is Weaver.

I don't like the way the magazine loads, but I will get used to it I'm sure. If the second and following pellets don't fall into the slot all the way and trying to move the top piece side to side to get it to fall in, the first pellet falls out if your finger isn't over the hole.

It's too loud with the tube fully seated, extending it does help, but it could be quieter. It's right on the border of not being backyard friendly.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but overall I like the rifle and need to shoot it a lot more.

Cheers, PB

Don't take this as gospel, as all rifles are different, as is each owner's use and expectations. My Crown is also .22, and I'm very pleased with the way it is shooting. On a good day, it shoots close to my RAW and Steyr, and that's no small feat. I'll offer two observations, based on my experience with the Crown and a few others. First, I think your reg is set high. Mine is on 135. I haven't really kept up with shot count, but it's good. I also think you might find your best accuracy at a slightly lower velocity, which would also enhance shot count. I have consistently found best accuracy with the JSB 16 around 880. My experience with the 18 is limited. I've shot it only on the High setting which, I think is around 940 in my rifle. Accuracy is acceptable, not as good as the 16 at 880. But, it's good enough for squirrel hunting, and higher velocity with a heavier pellet is not a bad thing for hunting. Lower velocities will also help with barrel fouling. These are soft lead pellets, and if pushed hard, they will really lead up some barrels quickly. Shooting lubed pellets may help, both in barrel maintenance and accuracy, but it's very barrel specific. I haven't found much difference.

Thanks and I think you are right. I plan on lowering the pressure after a few hundred rounds. The air consumption is high right now. After 36 pellets, the bottle pressure drops from 250 to 180.

The spread is really high too, that caught me by surprise when I saw that. Not sure how long it takes for the regulator to settle down, but will be keeping an eye on everything for sure.

It's too loud with the tube all the way in, better extended. I think with a lower pressure, it won't be as loud. I shot from inside my house through an open window or door. I never go outside so I can be seen, my neighbors probably wouldn't like it. My house sits on a 3rd of an acre with plenty of trees to shield my two KZ's from view too.

So far it's shooting okay groups at 20 yards, but could be better. Lowering the pressure may tighten up the groups but I need to get more pellets through the barrel before I mess with it.

Cheers, PB

Try the UTG snap-in dovetail-to-picatinny adapters. They are cheap but they might work for you. Those are the BKL adapters that I use with the 4K Pro on my Streamline, but I have it mounted with regular medium height scope rings...still a tad high but not bad. Worse is they aren't offset to the rear so my scope is quite a bit forward, which I make do with.

Also, if you don't need that kind of velocity, it might be best for you to lower the reg pressure. What velocity do you want to shoot? The reg pressure and hammer spring tension need to be adjusted to suit each other. Do you know how to tune?

What I do is choose a target velocity, say 930fps. Then I set the reg pressure to something low, like 130bar. With hammer spring pre-tension maxed out, I start with the hammer wheel on 1 and shoot a couple of shots. Shoot a couple more on 2, then 3 and so on up to Max. What I'm looking for is the velocity to level out as I work my way up on the hammer wheel. If it levels out but I'm short of my target velocity, then I increase reg pressure by 5 bar and start over shooting a couple of shots at each hammer wheel setting starting with 1.

I do this until I find the reg pressure that gives me my target velocity at it's chosen hammer wheel setting. From there I will shoot a full mag shot string to check for a tight Extreme Spread. Basically what you're looking for is the lowest reg pressure that will get you the velocity you want from your preferred pellet.

While you're tuning, keep in mind that you can use the "letter" side of the hammer wheel to fine-tune. The letters are basically half-steps on the number side. For instance, If you go from 5 to 4 and you get a big drop in velocity, try the hammer wheel on A and see if that gives you less of a drop. The hammer wheel settings go like this if you want to use the full range of the wheel: MAX - 5 - A - 4 - B - 3 - C - 2 - D - 1 - E - MIN.

I am currently at 140bar on my Crown 22 with 500mm barrel, Transfer Port on 25-30caliber, shooting JSB 18gr pellets at 928fps with ES of 12 and SD of 2. I've gotten ES as low as 7 and 5 a couple of times with SD of 1. The factory regulators in the new Crowns are very good.

Let us know if you need any more guidance.

:)

Thanks and I've read and watched videos of exactly what you are talking about, so after more shots at the factory settings, I will be doing what you talk about.

Cheers, PB

Your ES is likely wide due to the hammer spring not being tuned to the reg pressure.

Why shoot it like that if it's so easy to adjust? I tuned mine to my liking the first night I had it. There's no reason to shoot a gun like this at a tune that is way off or doesn't suit you.

It won't hurt anything to tune it. You'd just be wasting pellets and air by shooting it in it's present state.

The spread is really high too, that caught me by surprise when I saw that. Not sure how long it takes for the regulator to settle down, but will be keeping an eye on everything for sure.

It's too loud with the tube all the way in, better extended. I think with a lower pressure, it won't be as loud. I shot from inside my house through an open window or door. I never go outside so I can be seen, my neighbors probably wouldn't like it. My house sits on a 3rd of an acre with plenty of trees to shield my two KZ's from view too.

So far it's shooting okay groups at 20 yards, but could be better. Lowering the pressure may tighten up the groups but I need to get more pellets through the barrel before I mess with it.

Cheers, PB

I don't think your issue is a break in period for the regulator. As Bob mentioned, you will probably see more consistency when your tuning is in better balance. 

I didn't find the shroud position to be very effective regarding sound level, think the marketing boys beat the engineers on that one. I use a suppressor on mine, and it is extremely quiet. And with the shroud locked in its shortest position, one variable is removed that can affect accuracy. And yes, you will notice a difference in sound as you change the tuning, although probably not to an extent that will make it acceptable if it is too loud now. A good moderator is well worth its cost. 

I’m also a new Crown owner in .22. Tuned it a bit without touching the reg. Seems to like 16gr at 958 fps the best at 50m. It’s been impressively accurate. 6mm ctc is possible with no wind. 

Today I shot my first few groups at 100m. And I was blown away by how accurate it is. Even the 18gr that are not as good as the 16gr did exceptionally well. All groups were four shots. I had to wait for a gap in the wind. 

16.19mm ctc with the 16gr

19mm ctc with the 18gr

1549114577_5379566015c559cd1dc0d18.27841555_FD8BA60B-3809-4351-A14C-674D998F4D00.jpeg
1549114578_13582178075c559cd2ee0d40.60753262_6A19A173-A67E-4DAB-AFED-0634ABE035BD.jpeg

Thanks everyone and yes, I plan on lowering the pressure, but since it started at 140 out of the box and has been as high as 155 without me changing anything (except bottle pressure), I wanted to see if it was going to stabilize.

I've read some Crowns had issues with regulator creeping and didn't want to waste my time tuning if it wasn't holding at a steady pressure.

If I recall, 150 is the highest pressure this regulator is rated at by FX and maybe just turning it down will stabilize it and get away from the high edge of the pressure range is all it needs.

Cheers, PB

Are you saying the reg pressure fluctuates between shots? If so, it's possible it needs to settle in but more likely something wrong.

If you're saying it has a higher pressure right after a fill then drops off after a shot or two, I'd say that's normal.

When I fill mine, the reg pressure gauge always reads a few Bar high. What I do is burn two shots (no pellet) and then it's good for the rest of the fill.

I think it's normal for the reg to fluctuate a couple of Bar from fill to fill until it settles in, maybe around 500 - 1,000 pellets. Mine took about 1,000 at 140bar before the needle settled solidly on 140.

But even my worst ES was about 20, which is more than acceptable on any day. The fact that mine has produced single digit ES several times is just fantastic, and goes to show that tuning the hammer spring to the reg pressure is totally worth the time it takes to do it.