• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New FX Crown owner

Hello airgun enthusiast,

Last week I ordered a new FX Crown in .22 cal with a synthetic stock. According to UPS, it will be delivered Friday. I'm not new to airguns but this will be my first premium class rifle and first time owning a rifle with a smooth twist barrel. If anyone has any advice for a new Crown ower, do's and don't, please feel free to clue me in before I get into any trouble. I tried to download a user manual from FX but oddly enough I didn't see one.

I plan on mounting my ATN X Sight 4k Pro 3x14 scope which is currently mounted to my .22 cal Marauder. I had to use adapters from Weaver to 11 mm dovetail, so I think the scope with sit high enough to clear the overly large magazine without having to buy anything else.

Since I didn't have any JSB Exact Jumbo Heavy 18.1 grain pellets, I ordered those too as I understand the rifle is built around this pellet.

I plan on using the "PatchWorm" cleaning system for the barrel and do I need to be concerned about the polished barrel on how I go about cleaning it? I do have their felt cleaning buttons, both the standard and super intensive ones. I'm guessing I don't want to use the super intensive buttons in fear of scratching the polished barrel?? http://www.patchworm.com/patches-felts.html I do clean my pellets in my ultrasonic cleaner and lube them too.

I know I will have many more questions, so until then, thanks for reading.

Cheers, PB

Clean it thoroughly when you get it and then shoot it, lots, before you start messing with anything. They’re dialed in from the factory so get use to the gun before you mess with anything. If you do make changes to the regulator settings or hammer spring, take accurate, detailed notes before you make those changes. That way, if you’re not happy you can set it to factory specs. My boys and I love ours and I’m pretty sure you will too. They are great, accurate guns with a high shot count.

Stoti

Just something to note - mine won't shoot the 18grainers straight whatever I do, but the 16's are phenomenal 👍🏻 doesn't seem to be the norm but definitely worth checking out if you're not getting the results you expect.

Other than that - yup, don't fiddle with the settings until you've shot it a lot and have a very good feel for the gun 

Oh and the patchworm will work just fine - not going to damage your barrel at all.

I've had a Crown .22 a few months, haven't shot it much lately, as I've been fussing with a Red Wolf. I like the Crown, think it is a great all around air rifle. I could not get the trigger adjusted to my satisfaction as two-stage, but it works well for me as single stage. The 18's shoot okay in my rifle, but the 16's shoot better. Most of my shooting is 25-45 yards, so at longer distances the 18 may prove better. I found both to shoot best at around 880 fps. I shoot mine with a suppressor, so I locked the shroud in its shortest configuration. To be honest, I was skeptical that the rifle would shoot well, primarily due to the complexity of the barrel system. Considering the barrel liner, barrel sleeve, adjustable shroud, air stripper, and suppressor, there are too many places for precision accuracy to be compromised. So far, it has proven me wrong. It doesn't shoot as well as my Steyr or RAW, both of which are simple, robust builds, and with great triggers. But, for it's intended use as a hunting, plinking, and casual target rifle, I am very pleased with it.

Regarding cleaning, I use a patch worm pull-through in all my rifles, usually with Ballistol, and it works well. After a reasonable break in period, if you are getting indications of a dirty barrel (flyers, poor groups), and it's not rectified by the normal pull-through procedure, then something more aggressive might be needed, but wait and see, if it ain't broke....... Mine needed a session or two using a nylon brush, but it's been fine now for quite a few pellets using only the patch worm. If you get a significant leading problem, then polishing with JB Paste will probably help, but I doubt you will ever need it. Enjoy. And remember my motto, if this rifle doesn't shoot as well as you like, they make new ones every day!

Mine Crown 22 Synthetic is super accurate. 

It came out of the box with a mild tune....872fps with 18gr pellets.

First thing I did was clean the barrel. I then proceeded to tune it up to 900fps. Shot it like that for a bit before tuning higher, to 928fps with 18gr. Have shot at least 1,000 pellets at this tune.

Very easy to tune if you know the procedure. Shoots 1" groups at 100yds. 

1548900622_7557453935c52590ee92aa0.24084033_Screenshot_20190122-235534.png

With increased power comes lower shot count, so you have to decide what you want.

If yours will be anything like mine, you will have a very reliable and accurate precision air rifle. I normally pull the liner to clean the barrel but last time I just used my custom pull-thru.

Also, the Crown can use standard and mini magazines just fine. My spares are a 12 shot standard and 11 shot mini from my Streamline. They don't fit perfectly but they function just fine.

Any other questions just ask.

:)

Thanks for the tip elh0102, I will be sure to keep that in mind. I haven't actually read it yet, but I will soon.

Bob_O, thanks for the detailed information concerning your tune. I will keep my fingers crossed mine will be as accurate. The JSB 18.1 grain will be the only pellet I have for testing at this time. I do have some H&N Barracuda Powers 21.14 grains I could try but if the JSB's are accurate, I plan on sticking with them.

Cheers, PB

Oh yeah the 18gr is all I shoot in it.. With the ST-X liner, the JSB pellets can be pushed pretty fast without becoming unstable.

I did try the Barracuda Match 21gr, left over from a different rifle, and they did not do well at 100yds. Acceptable at 50 though.

I'm not the best bench shooter. Here's a sample of accuracy in the field.

https://youtu.be/vM3QF3GvfPg

Thanks guys and I played hooky from work today and drove out and found the UPS driver this morning. He doesn't get here until mid-afternoon, so I was able to get the rifle and pellets several hours early.

While the pellets are cleaning in my ultrasonic cleaner, I'm scanning the manual. I didn't find one on FX's website (odd) so I made my own PDF copy. If anyone wants a copy, PM me.

I just put the pellets in my toaster oven at 200 to dry, will lube them after they are done and cool.

After cleaning the barrel, topping off the bottle, I will fire a few magazines over the chronograph and make some notes. Then mount my 4k Pro and sight it in.

The chronograph slip they sent me reads:

Five shots, 20 yards, JSB Exact Jumbo Heavy 18.1 gr.

1. 947

2. 946

3. 947

4. 943

5. 943

The fill pressure shows (I haven't filled it yet) just under 150 and the regulator pressure shows 140, so it would seem the regulator is set at 140.

It looks like I won't need to touch any setting with those velocity numbers, just shoot it for a while and go from there. If the groups are tight, I won't mess with it at all.

Cheers, PB

I pulled the barrel liner to clean it and there were only two o-rings, not three like I've seen in the videos. I removed the whole barrel/tube assembly and can't see a third o-ring in there. Maybe this being a newer model only has two? How many o-rings are others finding, anyone only find two?

I did not want to get into pulling the transfer tube so early in the game, but I'm sure there's only two altogether.

Cheers, PB