• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New FT Scope from Kahles Eases Ranging

Field target ranging has become a lot easier for shooters that can afford the new Kahles K1050i FT scope. It’s a little pricey at just under $3000, but read on and you might just come to believe it’s worth it…especially if you’re thinking of competing internationally in WFTF. 

Here in the USA the Kahles distributor has been unable to get any of the new K1050i FT scopes. I went online and obtained one from optics-trade in Slovenia and I’m glad I did. I already owned a couple high-end scopes, a MarchX 8-80 and a Schmidt&Bender 12.5-50 FT (version 1), and the Kahles is now my favorite. The reason; Kahles has provided a parallax focus ranging feature that’s unique.

Kahles1_zpsk0zd2apm.jpg

Kahles2_zpsaana6jji.jpg

Kahles3_zpsx3vfwfyw.jpg

Notice the relatively wide gap between the 52, 54 and 56 yard marks. All other scopes generate a logarithmic range calibration tape where the gaps between yardage marks are large at the near distances and very small at the far distances. Kahles has incorporated a cam in the parallax adjustment mechanism that smooths the focus function so it’s almost linear. The gaps between the far distance yardage markers are relatively far apart and easy to see, even on the small Kahles topwheel. Several folks have invented helical sidewheels, like the “comma” to mitigate logarithmic focus functions, but Kahles has designed an elegant alternative solution. 

Kahles4_zpsjn0d4sib.jpg

The Kahles tape is on top and a typical tape from another scope is on the bottom. 

The reticle of the K1050i FT is designed specifically for field target competition. WFTF rules establish a standardized 40mm kill zone on longer shots. The entire bottom of the reticle is a direct read (at 50x) angular subtension ranging chart for 40mm kill zones with meters on the left and yards on the right. 

MHRReticle_zpsoe0jlrjd.jpg

The 40mm yellow kill zone shows a range of 54 yards. Easy. 

Optics on the K1050i FT are close to being on par with my March and S&B scopes…crisp and bright. Clicking and twisting the controls gives one the feeling of very high quality. The scope is now apparently available in silver. This is high-end kit and the parallax focusing cam makes it best in class! If I was headed to Portugal this year I’d be sure to have one of these.

Steve 

Kill zone, hit zone....same thing...the part of a field target that when hit by a pellet causes it to fall.

World Field Target Federation (WFTF) Comprehensive Rules

Targets
Metal silhouette “fall when hit” targets resettable from the firing point shall be used.
The hit zones shall be circular and of a contrasting colour to the faceplate.
The use of simulated hit zones on any other part of the faceplate is prohibited.
Standard hit zones shall be 40 mm in diameter.
A limited number of targets may be fitted with reduced diameter hit zones of 15 mm or 25 mm. 
These reducers shall be painted the same colour as the faceplate and shall be fixed to the side of the target facing the shooter.

The Kahles K1050i FT reticle has a scale at the bottom that tells your range to the target if you're looking at a 40mm hit zone at 50x power. It's the only FT scope to have this feature.

Steve

I had the opportunity to look through one of those this weekend. Yes it does snap in/out of focus very well. The way the cam actuated wheel works allows room on the wheel for every yard up to 56. A very important feature for field target. March scopes do not have this ability. If you aren't range finding with your scope then a March, S&B, or Ziess would likely be a better choice.