• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New from Ohio

Hello to all.My name is “Buckeye”, and I have been lurking in the shadows gathering info from all of the knowledgeable members on this great forum. I am from Ohio.This airgun technology has come a long way since my Crosman 760 that i got for Xmas when i was 10. My next step up was a Beeman R1that i bought 32 years ago, it still shoots pretty good, but needs something done to get it back up to speed. Now the bug has bit me after listening to all of you to get my first PCP rifle. I was informed today that my Gauntlet .22 has shipped, and i should have it by Friday. Man do I have a ton of questions, this PCP tech has my head spinning. The scope that i am going to put on the gun is a Vortex Viper 2.5-10 x 44, I am guessing this should be fine to start with and to get me passed the obstacle of choosing a scope. I watched a ton of videos on Youtube. By the way, Joes videos are very well done and helped alot. I decided to take the Vortex off of my AR and try it on the new gun. do i have to worry about recoil with a PCP like I did with my R1?Here is the big Question, how to fill my tank on the gun? I do have access to a local FD to fill a tank. Can i just fill the tank on the gun from FD source? I plan on getting a second gun tank for backup.
My other thought is renting one of those huge tanks and fill it and use to fill my gun tanks. Is this easily done? What kind of fittings do i need to go from Huge tank to gun tanks? I don’t think i am ready to go the route of those carbon fiber tanks or a compressor since i have access to filling at a FD that is 5 minutes from home. Let me know what all of you think so i can get to shooting.Thanks to all for sharing your wisdom with me, sorry for rambling on, but like i said, sooo many questions. Have a great week, and don’t swallow your pellets!
Scott

Are you going to the FD every day? Or, if you really get into it, like some of us. Firing a tin a day. how many trips would that be?
​ADVICE for all beginners! What good is a Ferrari if you don't have gas and a lot of it?
​Figure out a for sure fire air source before you worry about a gun!
​You should have no trouble with scopes. You'll find your gauntlet has no recoil (noticeable) and can mount any scope you want on it.
Aim small and hit small. your'e going to love it!

From a fellow "Buckeye", Welcome. I'm pretty new here too, though I've been around some of the other air gun sites for the past few years. I never had a pellet rifle growing up, only a Daisy 1894 BB rifle, and then no interest in airguns for many years until a few years ago due to an over-whelming chipmunk population. (which no longer is a problem :))

​Your R1 could probably be rejuvenated very easily with a little time, a few new parts and lube. I've read great things about the new Gauntlet rifle, PCP accuracy can spoil you, as it has me, from spending equal time with the break barrel guns.
​I started out in the PCP world having a hand-pump, which wasn't ALL that bad but knew I would go to a tank eventually. Your thoughts on filling of the gun tank may work, but having your own SCBA tank is the better way to go. I purchased a carbon fiber 4500 psi tank off classifieds at another site having a few years left on its' 15 year life at a fraction of new cost and couldn't be happier. I use a fire equipment dealer for my refills as my FD isn't set up for 4500psi. at this time.
I am unaware of any idea of renting a HUGE tank ? do your homework involved in this thought. You will need gauges, a hose and attachment fitting to your gun with any stand alone tank.

Thanks for the responses Key and RWS.

I won't be shooting anywhere close to a tin a day. I wish i had the time. 

I will probably end up getting a SCBA tank eventually. I just remembered that i have a friend who is a FD Captain, so i am going to see if he can get me a SCBA cheap.

The R1 that needs attention will probably have to be sent out since i don't have a spring compressor, but it will be worth it to get it up and running again.

Thanks for your support and help.

Welcome onboard Buckeye. Go to the “tank” section and do a little digging/research. After a while you will see some common thoughts. Having an air source is more important than the gun itself. You WILL shoot more than what you think you will. At minimum, get a deal from Your friend on a SCBA and fill it at the FD if they are able to. Otherwise a lot of frustration will ensue. I have an Alteros booster and fill my tank at home. Hit us up with any questions. (I’m no expert, but have walked that road already) 

Hi ! Buckeye, The closest club to you is near the town of Naveda Ohio, They had there first big shoot in October. They shoot at the Naveda Coon Hunters Assoc. clubgrounds
The Midwest Airgunners shoot at the Columbus Muzzeloaders Club just South of Columbus
The Ohio Airgun and field target shooters Assoc. shoot at the Crooked Creek Conservation Club near Hartsgrove, Ohio which is near Cleveland

I think they all have web sites for you to look at and check out! Jeff Little McMurray Pa.

Welcome Buckeye. Lots of really helpful folks here.

One thing you said that I have some experience with and no one else mentioned. I used a 6k tank for a long time. You don't want to fill your gun directly from a 6k tank. That is a great way to explode something.
To use the 6k tank, you need a smaller SCBA tank and a regulator on the big tank to prevent overfilling the smaller tank. Then you fill your gun from the smaller tank.
For the regulator for the 6k tank, get ready to spend $400-500 for a good one. That is the most expensive part. From there you can set the reg to 4500 psi and fill your gun that way. But you will always be tied to filling at that tank. In order to go out into the field and shoot, I use a smaller 88 cu. ft tank to take along.

Just wanted to warn you about the excessive pressure can kill you if you happen to slip when opening the tap to fill. So get a reg if you go with the 6k tank. Also, If you buy a tank be positive it is empty or comes from a KNOWN source. The danger is, a lot of tanks available have been used for oxygen. You load your gun with oxygen accidentally and pull the trigger, and it will blow you to pieces like a pipe bomb.
Just wanted to get that safety warning out of the way.

Again, welcome to the frey!

Crusher