• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New from NC

As the title says, I'm new to the forum and come from Robeson county NC. I've been enjoying air rifles since I was 13 but am looking to take the next step. I wanna start hunting with them. The one that I have that is still able to shoot isn't strong enough to take out anything bigger then a bird. I'm looking for something that can take out something rabbit size, maybe a bit bigger. I've had my eye on the Crosman Optimus and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on it? It's tied between that and the Gamo Hornet. I've only heard good things about both but I'm leaning toward the Optimus because it looks better to me with the wood stock. Anybody have experience with these 2 rifles? Thanks!

Well I don't want to go too high end with it. It's just gonna be small game and target shooting. I'm passing my other gun to my brother to teach him how to shoot and respect any form of gun/rifle. I've looked at the higher end guns and I would love to own one of those, I'd rather get something a little cheaper and modify it if need be. I know the Optimus has a lot of mod options, I'm not sure about the Hornet. Oh and I do appreciate your advice. I just have a set budget I want to stay inside of. I could go for something cheaper and get a better scope. Lol I'm not exactly sure what I want to do yet

"1kshooter"Could I maybe suggest that you look around for a used higher end gun and use the gift card for pellets or optics? 
that way you would not feel the need to upgrade so quickly and would also stretch your dollar further...and your enjoyment!
Jonathan
Top advice, plus if you realise it's not for you there is resale value in a better used gun, good luck with whatever you purchase

"Simshaz"
"1kshooter"Could I maybe suggest that you look around for a used higher end gun and use the gift card for pellets or optics? 
that way you would not feel the need to upgrade so quickly and would also stretch your dollar further...and your enjoyment!
Jonathan
Top advice, plus if you realise it's not for you there is resale value in a better used gun, good luck with whatever you purchase
That's a good point but odds are I'll keep whatever I do end up getting. I just have to figure out exactly what I wanna do

I complacently understand your financial stance, I have been there many a time but I will add that at the age of 42 I have learned that it is better to save a little longer and get better equipment from the start then buy lesser quality and end up spending much more in the long run on upgrades and so forth. I have been there with fishing gear and hunting gear alike and at this stage in the game i like others know that it is much less expensive to wait and get a little better then rush into things ...that,s the general thought here from the posts that I have seen in reply to you, good folks trying to guide you away from making mistakes we have made! 
As a side note how about you not give but rather sell your brother your old air gun as you yourself stated you are trying to teach him respect for all things air gun /real gun
another lesson I have learned is that unless i have earned something with hard work it meant very little to me in my youth and the nominal small fee you charge him will help you as well towards your goal of obtaining a better system that you will be proud of without modifying!
Best of luck with your journey and hope we have helped guide you a little bit!
Jonathan

"hawken54"Not sure what your budget is but I started with the Nitro Venom Dusk 22. Lots of power, very accurate and I've popped uncountable Arizona Jack rabbits with it, out to 75 yards. I don't have experience with those you listed. Just a thought
http://www.crosman.com/airguns/air-rifles/nitro-venom-dusk-22
This is the gun I've chosen. I said what the heck and took the extra step. No sure when I'll be able to order it but I haven't seen a bad thing about this gun and it seems to be a slimmer design compared to the Optimus. Thanks for all the advice guys! I look forward to what this forum brings me and what I may be able to bring it

"1kshooter"I would say that the Crosman premiers in the domed and hollow points would be a great start,in my experience Crosman guns shoot Crosman pellets best! 
cant wait to see your pics and read your tales afield!
Jonathan
I was actually looking at hollow points. I can't wait. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get everything but I'm super excited to get my hands on it