• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New Field Target Rifle

I didn't even know that OKC had Field Target until Dave Cole was kind enough to speak out. I will need a new/used rifle to participate. It's my understanding that they do not allow a poor man to throw rocks at the targets. So I'm looking at various FT veteran springers like Weihrauch, Diana, and Walther. Occasionally someone will let slip a comment that the .22 model of the same rifle shoots smoother than the .177 version. Usually in a UK forum. Is there any truth to that?

Yes, some .22 spring or gas-piston guns shoot smoother than the .177s, but you don't want to use them for field target work; even if you're not 'serious' about it.

Besides the caliber handicap of trying to squeeze a .22" pellet through holes as small as .37", the substantial velocity/trajectory handicap of a .22 piston gun will convolute a fun game into a considerably less fun exercise in frustration.

Using a piston gun in field target is PLENTY "challenging" enough with a proper FT springer, without dooming your FT experience from the get-go by entering a foot-race not only in heavy boots, but heavy boots three sizes too large!

Sounds like good advice to me. My fault for putting "Field Target" and ".22" in the same paragraph. Indeed it would be pretty silly of me to purchase a .22 rifle for FT. My main question was if .22 can be smoother than .177. Interestingly, it seems that Hector Medina is using .20 for Field Target. Of course, my reaching his level of shooting is virtually nil. As such, .177 for FT should be an obvious choice for a rookie like myself. I do wish we had a really great airgun store so I could try everything out first. Would do myself well actually to show up to the FT match empty handed and let the veterans show me their goods.

You will find most piston class shooters have their rifles tuned down to 12-14 ft lbs. All the underlevers are smooth at this power level. It is only at the 18-20 ft lb level that the heavier .22 pellets seem to help the shot cycle. I had a TX200 for a little while, and while it was pretty, It didn't shoot $300 better than my HW97. It was actually worse out of the box and even after dropping a tune kit in it only to find out I had lost the lottery and got a gun with lockup issues. 

Flintstone - You are right on the money. In one day of FT, you can see and shoot more rifles than you would otherwise experience in a year or more. Most FT shooters are very generous with their equipment and mentoring skills if you ask nicely and listen to what they have to say.

IIRC, Bob in WV and has friend Joe started this way. Maybe Bob can chime in with his thoughts. But beware. It is totally addicting. Don't worry about your score. Compete against yourself by setting a reasonable goal (like hitting 15-20 of the targets) with whatever equipment you already have. Don't worry, just do it. You will meet a lot of friendly and helpful folks and make some fast friends in the process.

Hi Steve, you got me started in this great hobby and I thank you. Joe and I both started with a Disco and then went to spring guns for a while. I have tried several and I think the Walther LGV and LGR were the best shooting spring guns I had, out of the box. I highly recommend either. I had a very used HW 77 that was a fine rifle too. I didn't like the TX 200 because it was hard to load for me, it was beautiful though and shot great. These days it is all pcp for me. Bad back and shoulders just can't take the repetitive cocking anymore. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Bob in WV