• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New "Fat Girl" Moderator

DBlue

Dec 14, 2022
USA
Donny FL has the Fat Boy moderator......So, I made the Fat Girl moderator for my MK 3......:)

I've had this idea for a moderator for a while now and yesterday I decided to go ahead and make it. I machined a sort of monocore with a baffle stack, and machined six K baffles for it. I finished it last night and shot it a few times out my shop door and all I'm going to say is that it works very well, I'm glad I went ahead and made it....It's 1 7/8" round and 6 1/4" long, the outer tube is carbon fiber and ends and the insides are machined aluminum. I'm going to shoot it on my woods range this morning....:)

IMG_4855.jpg

IMG_4858.jpg

IMG_4859.jpg

IMG_4860.jpg

What kind of Db reduction were you able to get?
I was going to check it with a phone app decibel meter I have on my phone, but it started raining and I had to quit this morning...to my ears it sounds quieter than the last moderator I made but I'm going to check it with the meter the next time I shoot with it. It seems to have helped with the accuracy, it may be the extra weight but it was drilling the bullseye at 50 yards....I think I'm going to like it a lot.....:)

Reactions: IRBent
How did it perform?
It actually works very well....I milled out what I call a mono core that has a K baffle stack inside it and that's the main core inside the carbon fiber. I left enough room inside to wrap the inner core with some acoustic foam. It's definitely quieter than the DonnyFL that I have. I've made several moderators before doing this one, I made one for my son in law's Benjamin 35 cal., it's 2" diam. carbon fiber with oversize K baffles, it made it a lot quieter...that thing looks like a bazooka with the moderator on it...LOL I don't know if anyone has come up with a design like I used on this moderator as I just had an idea and decided to make it to see if it would work and as it turned out it works very well. It took a lot of careful machining to make it as I have only manual type machinery, other than a DRO on my new milling machine everything I do is manual. I'm not going to post any pics of the inside of it as there are too many people out there that like to steal other peoples ideas. I was going to use a phone app decibel meter to test it against my Donny FL but like most people on the internet say the phone apps are trash, so I will just go by my own ears and my own ears says it's quieter...:)

Reactions: Sergey1972
It actually works very well....I milled out what I call a mono core that has a K baffle stack inside it and that's the main core inside the carbon fiber. I left enough room inside to wrap the inner core with some acoustic foam. It's definitely quieter than the DonnyFL that I have. I've made several moderators before doing this one, I made one for my son in law's Benjamin 35 cal., it's 2" diam. carbon fiber with oversize K baffles, it made it a lot quieter...that thing looks like a bazooka with the moderator on it...LOL I don't know if anyone has come up with a design like I used on this moderator as I just had an idea and decided to make it to see if it would work and as it turned out it works very well. It took a lot of careful machining to make it as I have only manual type machinery, other than a DRO on my new milling machine everything I do is manual. I'm not going to post any pics of the inside of it as there are too many people out there that like to steal other peoples ideas. I was going to use a phone app decibel meter to test it against my Donny FL but like most people on the internet say the phone apps are trash, so I will just go by my own ears and my own ears says it's quieter...:)
You already gave up your idea. You said it's a monocore k baffle stack with enough room to add some sound deadening material around it. I can print one of those on my printer overnight. So unless you think you're going to get a patent, and that ain't going to happen, you can relax. The first one you sell is going to be to someone who wants to steal it, cut it in half and copy the design anyway. He'll be in China and you'll have no recourse. Sorry to be so honest.

You do really Nice work.

Last edited:
You already gave up your idea. You said it's a monocard k baffle stack with enough room to add some sound ending material around it. I can print one of those on my printer overnight. So unless you think you're going to get a patent, and that ain't going to happen, you can relax. The first one you sell is going to be to someone who wants to steal it cut it in half and copy the design anyway. He'll be in China and you'll have no recourse. Sorry to be so honest. You do really Nice work.
I don't have any illusions of ever getting a patent, I'm just not going to post any pics for someone else to copy....most patents are actually worthless anyway, someone can take your idea and change some little detail and then it's not considered infringement. I don't post pics of what I make with the intent to try and sell them as I don't need to..... I think you are jumping to conclusions that don't exist.

I don't have any illusions of ever getting a patent, I'm just not going to post any pics for someone else to copy....most patents are actually worthless anyway, someone can take your idea and change some little detail and then it's not considered infringement. I don't post pics of what I make with the intent to try and sell them as I don't need to..... I think you are jumping to conclusions that don't exist.
Well secrecy is entirely up to you. I've used K-baffles. They work well but are less efficient in low pressure/velocity (airgun) designs and they tend to destabilize projectiles traveling at lower velocities. There are other baffle designs that are more efficient and less disruptive to the airflow around the slower moving pellet inside the tube. Consider the design of some of the two and three chamber "hollow tubes". They are extremely effective more so than any baffle in airgun applications.

I'm not making assumptions. I am taking you at your word. You said you were keeping secrets because you were afraid someone would steal your design. I said there's really nothing you can do about that unless you never sell them and never distribute them. That is all entirely your choice it was not a criticism. Don't take it that way.

I think your major selling point is the quality of your work. It's really quiet aesthetically appealing.