New England residents of ME, NH & VT...How do you like it there?

It is no secret that I might be returning to the USA, I don’t mind sharing this here, and I know I will get a honest answer. Part of the reason I miss the USA is my right to hunt without having to have a background check that matched a previous life. Currently, I am interviewing for a job that is remote based so I can pretty much live where ever I want. If I got the job I would on board here in the Netherlands and then later in year be transferred to the USA. (Thing that would suck I have to pay for it, oh well I can travel light).

Due to the “bosses” (who are all former colleagues and / or managers) are based in the EST and Euro Time Zones, I thought the East Coast, to start would be easiest manage the time differences.

Due to, that I am not really into ultra hot and humid summers the south isn’t really for me, and I want 4 seasons. Thus why I am interested in NE states of New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine. Those NE states offer a lot of lifestyle things I want and honestly, compared to Idaho, Utah and especially Montana right now, the cost of living is very similar. Plus my niece moved to and is working in New York City, so she loves the idea of family in the “neighborhood.”

Also, because the job is remote based, it would be very easy for me to hop on a plane Friday evening in Boston and fly to London to see a friend and work from there. Plus another friend is looking to move from NL to the Boston for a job. Plus I like the idea of being next to a city like Boston when I want my cultural side satisfied. 

From what I have seen Vermont seems pretty air gun hunting / pesting friendly, and big game hunting is promoted on the State tourism site. The area also offers the ocean close by, winter sports and etc. For meeting people and due to declining #s in the NE I figure the local hunting clubs would be happy to welcome a fellow life long hunter and fisherman. Plus back to my winter interest makes it easy to meet people with a similar mind set.

If you can please provide any opinions / views etc. Lastly, I have an out. Due to the job is remote based for long term if I don’t like it I pull up camp and move to another location.

I grew up in Boston, went to Boston colleges and my wife and step kids are from Kittery,Maine. They moved down here 13 years ago. 
You probably will like Maine/New Hampshire area to live as that is not as built up and come visit Boston once in awhile to visit. Massachusetts has some nice open areas for hunting and all but you need to go the western part of the state close to Worcester. We can be a very could you say uptight state. We have a lot of historical areas to visit, Cape Cod is beautiful as well as Maine has just as many. Massachusetts is where it all started for the US and is where the pilgrims landed, very Historical. Maine and New Hampshire will be able the same when it comes to costs of living. Pretty affordable. I think New Hampshire is ranked in the top 10 gun friendly states. You are welcome to come by my place of business and get free 4500 psi fills! You can PM me or call/text if you would like to have a conversation, Or just post up any questions and I will do my best to be of assistance. Do not know much about Vermont. 
see me a pm and i will send you cell number

. Dean

@autodoc, thank you for the invite, and what’sapp text sent. I still don’t know exactly where I will go and need the job first. I have done a one day recy in Maine and found the locals quite friendly.

When in Maine, I laughed when I was at a deli / coffee bar because a couple came in (Bostonians probably) to the deli asking for humus. The owner of the deli, who sold humus, said why do you want to buy humus because it is so easy to make. The owner actually started to explain how to make it, his recipe, to the couple and they looked confused about what to do. 🤣 I guess the owner of the was also confused because these city folk weren’t being “practical” even when it would cost him a sale. 🤣

If you don't mind snow and cold weather, New England is a relatively nice place all around. The closer you are to any major cities (Boston, Portland, Montpelier, etc), the less gun friendly it is; even to air guns. You might want to do some research into the town you're moving into, as many towns now are shifting to blue with the mass influx of liberals buying up houses all over southern NH, parts of VT and ME, and obviously all over MA. I find ME and NH to be the most gun friendly in most parts of the States, whereas VT is really becoming a liberal hot bed, but there's still good places in VT that value freedom, just have to look. Check town bylaws too if you plan to live in a place where you can shoot in your backyard. 

NH isn't near as good as it use to be but it is still the best state to live in. You just have to avoid living in the cities, Manchester, Concord, Nashua, Salem and the Seacoast. All have been taken over by the left. The closer to the Mass. border the worse it is. Vermont is just plain hard to live in if you like modern shopping. They don't allow chain/box stores so they come over the border to NH and go to Walmart and such, often leaving the packaging of their purchases, what a mess. Vermont is not that easy to categorize though because they do like their freedoms and guns. Weird fact, it use to be said that it was one of the only states where it was legal to shoot fish in a barrel.Why anyone would want to was never explained to me, but there it is. The state itself is very pretty. Maine is huge and most everything is along the "down east coast." I have no idea how their gun laws are but they have never been a problem neighbor for NH, so probably not that bad. My point is that NH use to be considered the only conservative state in New England, with the lowest over-all tax rate but that is mostly a memory now. The cost of living in NH is only affordable if you compare it to Mass., which is ridiculous in the Boston area. The truth is, is that the New England states are very localized.Towns right next to each other can be night and day. You really have to check them out personally before you commit to anything. Check the town that you are interested in voting record. Seriously. It matters and holds true around here that you are a lot less likely to run into anti-hunters/shooters in a (R) town.

Second that on NJ.

All three are beautiful.

Spent 1 winter in Brewer Maine living right along the Penobscot River. Great time then in 82. Wouldn't want to now if the weather is the same because I ain't young anymore. We cut our Christmas tree down about Dec 15th and had to dig through 5 feet of snow to do it. The river was frozen by New Year and it snowed frequently until I left in March. The landlord would have to come and remove snow with a dump truck when there was no more room to plow it. They have got their act together keeping the roads open under the worst weather. There were deer and moose that came by my place and due to there being a frozen layer on top of the snow pack that they broke through they were having a real tough winter. Any loose Dogs were to be killed because they would pack up and kill deer for sport.

Oh and did I mention the lobster. They were a buck a piece and I did my best to help keep the population down.

Stay away from NY We have become one of the most unfriendly gun states out there. I won't get too political but for a state that tries to promote all the wonderful outdoor activities available it is making it harder and harder to purchase guns and the related equipment. A lot of online sellers won't even talk to you if you have a NY zip code. NH and ME are probably the 2 best choices out there. NJ has some very strict gun laws and even Airgun purchases have to go through a dealer.

This may help. Would upstate NY be an option? Or you could come to Michigan where a collection of 20 guns is considered a good start. And we have lots of snow!

image.1613855172.png

I believe like 70% or so of all NH residents reside in the southern part of the State (don't quote me on that, but I do know it's a majority of people). Many of those towns will be less gun friendly overall, so if you don't need to drive into Boston frequently, it would be wise to seek out a place more north. Plus, rent and cost of living will be cheaper the further north you go. 

Well, the locations I would be looking at would be more "north of the Mass" border, but I don't want to be more than a 3 hour drive away from Boston. I want a weekend visit friendly distance. Also, I want to be closer to coast, and maybe Maine would be better option, since the northern part of the state is quite rule. Anyways, I don't have to decide now. I still have to get the job, but considering logistics of moving back to USA it is best to get an idea. Lastly, to get my stuff from Europe to USA will take a month or two so I would be BnBing until my stuff arrived which would give me a chance to get a solid feel for the area of where to settle.

From a quick look Maine's taxes are the lowest and even lower than Idaho.

How are taxes in Maine and NH?

As I recall NH has no income tax.

Personally grew up in NYC, lived up in Boston for about 10 years and now in the middle of CT. What I will tell you from my time in MA is that it's a bit more 3 seasons and a month of summer. IMO you gotta come a little bit south to get 4 full seasons. But if you like the cold and snow NH could work out for you - just don't expect too much summer. 

Right now, I am more looking for small game with an air rifle, and I don't mind buying a non-resident tag to expand my options. When I lived in Utah I always had a Utah and Idaho hunting license, because upland game bird hunting in Utah sucks compared to Idaho.

@ctshooter, I just checked. NH does now have income tax, but it is lower than my home state of Idaho. Idaho and Maine are pretty much the same, 0.15 % is a fancy meal out. Also, Maine sounds like Eastern Idaho half the time when it comes to 4 seasons. We say there is winter, 2 months of summer, and then Mother Nature is off her meds. That is why I always tell people to take a winter coat with them if they visit Yellowstone National park in June or September on. Yell, even on the 4th of July it be freezing and you need to light a fire to stay warm outside, and this in the valley floor of Pocatello, not the mountains around it.

Thanks all for the input. I will keep you posted. The interview start this week, and etc. Last week I already had an informal chat with the manager so I knew what I would be getting into if I get the job.