• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New Doppler Chronograph - Air Chrony vs FX

Do you really need one of those? Here is what I use...

It is only accurate to 1 meter/per second, but do you really NEED more accuracy from a chronograph? (smile)

There are things this one can't do (like help you calculate the BC of a pellet), but it is accurate at measuring MV (within the 1 meter limitation) and is really inexpensive! $35 when I posted the link I posted above.

p.s.

I did use this on a Crosman Fire before I went totally to the "dark side" and PCPs.

p.s.

If the one I own fails, I will buy another one just like it. Maybe one day they will make them to measure in FPS instead of MPS. The same thing in the "table-top" model does add a 10ths of a meter digit, but I like the muzzle mounted version better as I know I won't kill it by shooting it. (chuckle) And it ALWAYS gives a reading.

Last edited:
I had one of the $40ish optical chrony units that are commonly used for airsoft. I mean it worked, but it was a pain to use because I had to shoot through that tiny hole.
20220306_222008.jpg

After getting the FX Chrony, it's night and day! I guess my biggest issue is, that I haven't used my Chrony much since I did my tune. Other that some range time with my Bulldog testing the new FX Hybrid Slugs, I've only used it twice since I bought it!

20220306_221928.jpg

I recommend the FX Chronograph. Mine is very fickle and will eat batteries if not removed between use (I have a pack of rechargeable AAA's in the FX Chrony bag). HOWEVER, it is accurate and does a good job. Care must be taken to select the correct pellet weight and speed (not intuitive, good luck) within the REQUIRED Android or Apple app.

I prefer the Caldwell chronograph but it is another bag to carry. The FX Chronograph fits inside my existing range bag and weighs a few ounces. They can be had for around $200. If not available then I suggest the Caldwell model because of ease of use and quality of the product and needed Android or Apple app.