New Daystate Wolverine

My new Wolverine R standard in .177 with a 0DB moderator, Atlas bipod and Sightron SIII Field Target 10-50x60 scope. Got this to give field target a try
Wolverine 5 .177.jpg

@landshark - Pretty happy with the wood on mine, but yours is exceptional!

Shoots 10.3 JSB & 13.4 JSB MRD equally well, betting yours will shoot both well too. Ridiculously tight velocity spread/standard deviation too. Nothing but impressed so far, hope you like yours this much too!
thanks, hopefully going to test everything out this week

I recently picked up a used .177 Wolverine R, also for Hunter field target shooting. Though I haven't shot a match with it yet, THIS THING IS NOTHING LESS THAN MAGICAL!🤯

177 Wolverine.jpg

I've only shot it from stool and bipod Hunter position for the last three days; 7-8 ten-shot groups at 50 yards, in light to very gusty crosswinds. Due to my 40 yard zero, I use my duplex reticle post at 50 yards, and have been holding 1/2 to 1" into the shifting crosswinds. Nevertheless, to my utter amazement, and why I say THIS THING IS NOTHING LESS THAN MAGICAL🤯, my largest group has been right at 1" center-to-center, and the smallest measured .53"! For example, all ten of these shots are well ON the .70" (dime diameter) aiming spot, and the (TEN-shot) group measured .60" c-t-c. That quarter completely covered all shots in the group.

Wolve FT at 50.jpg

FWIW and better perspective, in 15 years of very successful field target competition results at the highest levels I've NEVER shot this consistently well from FT position. And certainly not over the course of 7-8 ten-shot groups fired over three days in gusty winds.

While I fully realize most folks reading this will dismiss it as not just exaggeration, but BS, I'll repeat something I've said and written several times before- "The TRUTH is fantastic enough for our purposes." In this case, possibly TOO fantastic.

But nevertheless true.

Can't wait for the next match.

Titles.jpg

State and National Champion FT titles.

Last edited:
"Would you expand on a 40 yard zero? Don’t you end up holding over and under vs just over?"

Correct. Like I learned to deal with trajectory over six decades ago for hunting, and continue to do (quite successfully) in field target competition. If I recall correctly it's called "point-blank range" (approach), and I may be the only FT competitor doing it (anymore). But I may also be the only one not using a side-focus scope, oversized focus wheel, bubble level, wind indicator, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Understand that I don't advocate anyone else emulate my prehistoric approach to field target. Au contraire.

In fact I tell every one of the many I tutor in field target that most of what I do and use in field target falls under the heading, "Do as I say; NOT as I do!" I've tutored several champions that way.

Ron RFT.jpg

Reactions: Smitty911
"Would you expand on a 40 yard zero? Don’t you end up holding over and under vs just over?"

Correct. Like I learned to deal with trajectory over six decades ago for hunting, and continue to do (quite successfully) in field target competition. If I recall correctly it's called "point-blank range" (approach), and I may be the only FT competitor doing it (anymore). But I may also be the only one not using a side-focus scope, oversized focus wheel, bubble level, wind indicator, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Understand that I don't advocate anyone else emulate my prehistoric approach to field target. Au contraire.

In fact I tell every one of the many I tutor in field target that most of what I do and use in field target falls under the heading, "Do as I say; NOT as I do!" I've tutored several champions that way.

View attachment 304390
In my humble and unsolicited opinion, you’re shooting FT matches the way they should be shot. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: AirNGasman
In my humble and unsolicited opinion, you’re shooting FT matches the way they should be shot. Keep up the good work.
At least as pertains "Hunter" Class, I agree; but am Realist enough to know we represent a minuscule percentage, Phillip. But thank you for dispelling my belief that I'm the ONLY such deep thinker around here.:unsure: ;)

Reactions: phillip