New Daystate magazine - is it just me?

I guess I'm old enough to get set in my ways but, to me, Daystate too a step backward with the new magazines.

I know about the little pin in the rifle that indexes the old magazines and that it can break. Supposedly, that's why they went with the new magazines that don't use the pin to index. But -- what they gave up was double-load protection. There are situations with their electronic rifles where you can cock the lever when the rifle is "off" (on safe) and a pellet will, of course, feed if the magazine is in. But, the rifle doesn't know you cocked it since it is off and, therefore it won't shoot. When you realize what you did and turn the rifle on (off safe) you need to move the cocking lever again to cock the rifle which, with the new magazines, feeds another pellet - you just double loaded. The only solution I know of is to think about it when you realize what happened and remove the magazine before closing the lever when you re-cock the rifle and then fire that shot with the magazine out.

That's a pretty fiddly solution. I wish Daystate had come up with a way to incorporate anti-double-load into the new magazines.

Or - am I missing something?

261d.svg
Yup and With the HW you can't even put it on SAFE unless it's cocked and loaded so you KNOW it's not loaded not even cocked when you can't put it on SAFE.

And with the HW, you can also de-cock on a chambered pellet, not engage the sliding mag actuator, and then re-cock when a shot presents. Thus simulating the way the Taipan operates anyway, which is a marvelous design. IMO, both are more intuitive in design and function than the Daystate. 

Frankly - I use the single shot loader most of the time anyway (either the Daystate one or the Carm one). But I'm starting to practice for silhouette assuming Covid eventually makes that doable so I've been using the magazine to avoid fumbling with a single shot reload. I just gotta get my routine down to make sure I don't double-load and that I am safe too.

I cut the arm off of mine (the side that can hit the probe, old style) Works just fine. If manually unloading, you have to hold the drum. I have stated before, the pin came up and moved the arm and the arm hits the probe. I believe that pin is still moving up in some cases, at which point everything is locked up/jammed. Something will break. I have seen pins broken, arms broken and probes dented. Of course, DS would never admit to such.

I agree, they went backwards with this move. (Red Wolf SR HP/FAC .25 Special Edition)

Sure wish that Daystate had done a high cap mag for the Delta which was about the only thing I liked about the Impact. Yes I know we can piggy back the new DS mags but still.

I was shooting a Daystate with the new mags a few days ago and my first lesson was to hold the mag so pellets are pointed down plum to the ground, if I turned it almost sideways like with other mags I'm used to the pellets would fall out, duh. Just something I needed to adapt to.

I haven't used Taipan mags but I have to admit I like AGT mags the best so far of any mags.

Just "progress" I guess. I just bought a new Red Wolf (new enough to have the Safari tune) that came with an 11 round capacity magazine. But - the electronics only count to 10. That's almost laughable. I very briefly had a Pulsar HP that had new programming that would allow you to indicate how many rounds were in the magazine which makes sense. But, the Red Wolf doesn't have that. There seems to be some magazine issues at Daystate at the moment.