New cheap .22 options

So many good choices out there, it's ridiculous these days. Still, I'm a Marauder fan on the low end. It's a touch over your $400 budget, but if you can stretch for $500, it'll give you much more gun with much more future.

It's completely adjustable, after market parts are plentiful, and most of all, the knowledge on the forums is deep. If you have a problem, someone here can help, and the members are always happy to help.

My own Marauder in .22 was very accurate out of the box, and after some tweaking, after market parts like a regulator and such, it's even better.

The one thing most people overlook is the trigger. While this isn't an Impact Trigger, it is a good solid, adjustable trigger that holds up well. The Fortitude and other inexpensive triggers tend to be heavy, mushy, and generally poor quality that impacts your accuracy. The Marauder trigger is a good hunting trigger that breaks cleanly and gives you what you need.

Good luck!

Synthetic Marauder Rifle 7.3 Pounds add 1.5pounds for scope 9.0 pounds ready to shoot. Fortitude Rifle 5.3 Pounds add 1.5 pounds scope 7.0 pounds ready to shoot. Marauder Pistol as a Carbine rifle 2.7pounds add 1.5 pounds for a scope 4.5 pounds ready to shoot, or a Red Dot at 1.0 pound for a 4.0 pound ready to shoot weight with adjustable length of pull, the Marauder pistol carbine can really tuck in close to the body while shooting. I have all three of these guns and all are great for different purposes, do you want a 9 pound gun that will probably see more bench shooting than anything else, or are you looking for a multi tool, that has less power, but can be taken into woods on the Move, shooting free hand? deciding what it will be used for, is the key, in your decision. That and How far will you be shooting, for Shot count Fortitude is the clear winner. I Know that any gun I buy I will have to Work on eventually, which Guns are easy to work on, with Good Parts availability? Benjamin wins this category again.

2nd Gen Fortitude using AGNATION code was under $250 to my door- today is Friday so free shipping. It shoots 3cm groups at 40 meters all day long with CP Domes, JSB Heavies, Sniper Mediums, Lights, Crow Mags, and RWS Superdomes- I'm too lazy to properly sight it in and our targets are cans, spoons, and a shovel head sitting further out ~ 70 meters away. Yeah, I'm in the US and still prefer metric.

As another user mentioned, shoots a long time on a fill, definitely quiet enough for the backyard, the HST is adjustable, and of course, Crosman support.

Added bonus: the girlfriend loves the magazine-fed action- magazines are dirt-cheap and the aftermarket on these will only grow. 

If the budget was unlimited, I'd say a Leshiy Classic with the 350mm barrel. Mine's amazing with a 2x Red Dot.