• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning New Benjamin Akela Initial Tune

Hey guys, new here! Avid long range shooter, new PCP shooter!

I live in Ohio, and was PCP shopping and noticed Baker Airguns is only a few hours drive from me, SO I made a road trip and came home with a new gun! Guys there were super helpful and awesome to deal with. Was really eyeing the FX line, but didn't have one in stock that really ticked all the boxes for me, and the Akela was half the price so figured I'd give it a whirl, and if I want to upgrade down the road my son always loves hand me downs!!

I have to say I was Very impressed with the FPS spread of the factory tune for the Akela, I was expecting a lot more variation! 

.22 cal JSB Heavy 18.13, 3000 psi fill ran it down to 2000 psi

So it looks like an average of 824 FPS for 34 shots.

The one thing that I wondered about was looking at it it basically peaks at the full pressure, so too much hammer spring tension correct? If I back that off a little I could get more of a bell curve and possibly get a few more shots per fill? Problem is the hammer spring came from the factory backed all the way out. So if I wanna pursue that ave. then its spring shopping time, because I don't really want to modify the factory one, then find it doesn't work out and be out of luck! Opinions, comments, questions?

And its not that it "needs" changed, but I can't help myself, I don't have anything that I don't modify!! Thanks guys!!

Ben

And of course the obligatory picture of said new toy!!
IMG_20210227_171816332.1614464390.jpg

Congrats and welcome to the forum and the world of pcp airguns, that’s a great starting gun and i’m sure you’ll enjoy it but soon you’re going to want to upgrade.... that’s how it always goes. There’s plenty of super helpful people on here that’ll make it all much easier for you to learn so if you ever have questions don’t be afraid to ask. 

And of course the obligatory picture of said new toy!!
IMG_20210227_171816332.1614464390.jpg

I just bough an Akela, and am actually on my second one. I returned the first on due to the shroud not actually floating but resting on the air reservoir strap. Im curios to see if your barrel is actually floating or not. Because the second one i received has the same issue. I also realized when a picatinny mount i bought wouldn't fit, that it has a weaver rail and not a picatinny rail.

Mine actually doesn't float either. It contacts both of the trigger mounting straps... It's still pretty accurate as is. But it definitely has it's short comings with the shroud touching the straps, and the free floating scope rail. I was was practicing some positional shooting today and had my support hand on my scope. Moved the POI probably 6 inches at 50 yards🤦

Well was having a bit of accuracy issues with a random flier here and there. Figured it was mostly due to contact with the trigger hanger and shroud. SO I fired up the mill at work and got busy. I left about .100 of material between the tube and shroud, which forces the barrel up just enough so there is zero contact between the shoud and trigger mounting brackets. Need to take it off and cerakote it, but just enjoying shooting it right now!

I also tore apart the gun and opened up/ Lined up the power adjuster, transfer port, and barrel port to .166, which was about the largest bit I could get in the action without drilling and tapping larger holes for the scope rail mount. Chronograph showed around 860 fps, but I'm not sure thats accurate because with a 50 yard zero it only takes a 3 mil holdover to be dead on at 100 yards. So far 1 inch groups at 50 yards seems to be about what its capable of, Not one hole groups for sure, but the local bird population doesn't seem to notice!! Either way I'm extremely happy with the results and have about 500 rounds through it so far! 

IMG_20210312_103402430.1615682594.jpg

My first two Akela's had the barrel droop, the first was so loose the shroud started sliding off the barrel, the one I got yesterday was new, pulled from stock and checked out by the head of QA, it's picture perfect, no barrel droop, and easily dumbs a mag into a 3/8" hole at 50', but it's also becoming apparent my frame does not like the bullpup form factor, wishing I'd went for the Cayden now.

New to the akela club my first pcp and loving it so far! Had bit of droop but fixed by making barrel band, seems very accurate, however just shooting 14gr crosman premiers is it normal shot count on med power to go from 3000psi to2000psi and average around 36 shots? also i feel a poof of air every so often checked o rings out and every thing appears fine but it seems like off left side of mag i get a puff.
20210616_113007.1623871104.jpg
 Grouping wise im pretty much stacking pellets ontop of pellets at 50 yards