• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New Airforce Escape

Well I pulled the trigger on an Escape SS and it was delivered today. I have a 4-16x40 scope on it. I am very impressed so far. I sighted it in at 50 yards. I am getting about an inch and a half groups free handed. I will check it in a rest tomorrow and see what she can do. The build quality is very nice I think. I don't have much airgun experience. All I have to compare it to is a Discovery. But I have some experience with quality things. I bought the Escape for hunting so the shot count is fine with me. This will be more for medium sized game. I have the disco for small game. I have it set on 8-1 for now and it seems to be ok. Any suggestions as to where a better setting might be or mods to help with performance would be much appreciated.

I am looking to get a Chrony so I can fine tune both the guns for maximum accuracy and power.

I am still decorating it I am looking to get a fore grip bipod and a light for it. Any suggestions as to what else I might want?

Thanks Eddie

I've had my Condor ss .25 for about a year now. I swapped out the pistol and fore grip for the Maddog Ambi bullpup stock...gives the Airforce platform LOTS of ergonomics (easy to install [video on youtube]). I mounted a 10x50 fixed UTG scope for long range applications and on an Airforce piccatinny adapter (cheaper brands work just fine) beneath the barrel I have a green laser sighted in at 20 yrds give or take. Then there's a 9" moderator from Talon Times affixed to it (VERY nice quality) which makes the rifle quite long (i don't mind), but spit ball quiet (especially with an o-ring behind the top hat for better air efficiency and dampening hammer slap [video on youtube]). Lastly, I also put a pellet holder (Pyramydair product [swapped the cheap straps that came with it]) on the bottle...16 pellets on hand.

Thanks for the suggestions. The Condor was what I had originally wanted but I don't do that much target practice. I figured I would go with something a little lighter. I take it your happy with your purchase? I am pleased with this gun so far. I was worried at first but not now. I have no problem with looking through the scope like most people do. I have to get a chrony to optimize it.

Pumping it by hand is not that bad. Filling the tank the first time was a little difficult but from about 2000 psi to full is only about 75 pumps. It is the same as my disco but I just need a little more umphh at the end but very do able. I am thinking about getting a spare tank for out in the field but on the other hand while hunting how many times are you going to shoot over 15 shots?

Very happy with it. This thing is pushing out over 50fpe...don't think I'd designate it a target practice gun. The weight difference between the two is kinda negligible IMO (couple ounces). I've handled the Escape and the quality is typical Airforce engineering. Loud as hell, though. I know over 15 shots would suffice a hunting session, l just like the idea of having them neatly near. With an o-ring behind the top hat and the power wheel on 6 I'm getting 40 @ss thumping shots from a 3000-1900psi fill. Hand pump isn't so bad, but nothing beats a scuba tank...even a small one (be happy you did). I really don't think you need to chrony your gun...optimization for this platform is a simple matter of finding the most accurate pellet and noting its performance at various ranges. Save your dough for a scuba tank.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was not suggesting you use it for target practice. I was referring to my habits. I don't plink that much so I figured I would save on the pumping with the smaller tank. Mine is set on an 8.1. I have read that anything over that is mostly a waste of air. I would love to get a scuba tank. Well Christmas is around the corner.

What's the biggest game you would be comfortable taking with the condor?

Man! Thing has convinced me! I've taken two foxes; 1 from 30 yrds with a 43 gr Eun-Jin in the head (in my rifle they impact slightly low and to the right beyond 20 yrds) and it dropped like it was told to sit! The second fox (littler than the first), maybe same distance, same pellet, I got with a shot in the heart/lung area (hopped around a bit and literally gnawed at the poi...took about 30 seconds). And a raccoon...head shot (polymag). It wriggled for what seemed too long. That's the biggest game near me. Probably wouldn't go any bigger.

"ddransoml"Man! Thing has convinced me! I've taken two foxes; 1 from 30 yrds with a 43 gr Eun-Jin in the head (in my rifle they impact slightly low and to the right beyond 20 yrds) and it dropped like it was told to sit! The second fox (littler than the first), maybe same distance, same pellet, I got with a shot in the heart/lung area (hopped around a bit and literally gnawed at the poi...took about 30 seconds). And a raccoon...head shot (polymag). It wriggled for what seemed too long. That's the biggest game near me. Probably wouldn't go any bigger.
The Airforce guns are sure powerful, my 25's are shooting 950fps ++ shooting JSB KH 34 grain pellets ..... they really smack hard !

wll2506

I would like to be able to kill up to 100lb pigs. I love my bacon! Also I would like to be able to take coyotes. with a bipod I can keep it within about half inch at 50 yards. I don't know if I would go any further than that. Nor do I think I would need to. This thing hits at least three times as hard as my Disco at twice the distance. The more I shoot it the more I am pleased with it. I will be going out this weekend for squirrel. My neighbor and I will be going for coons in a couple weeks. I will keep y'all posted. 

Thanks for all the help. There are not many sights where airforce users are. At least not many that I have found.

With the unsuppressed Escape, yes; head shot...50 yrds MAX (my comfort zone). The Escape ss has a shorter barrel resulting in less power...you're gonna really have to thread a needle between a pigs eyes for a good kill. And I'd only be comfortable out to 30 yrds...again, this from a non-hunter but one who's handle the Airforce platform. I'd also recommend a heavy pellet. Let me know how things went. Good luck.

"ebigham1"I would like to be able to kill up to 100lb pigs. I love my bacon! Also I would like to be able to take coyotes. with a bipod I can keep it within about half inch at 50 yards. I don't know if I would go any further than that. Nor do I think I would need to. This thing hits at least three times as hard as my Disco at twice the distance. The more I shoot it the more I am pleased with it. I will be going out this weekend for squirrel. My neighbor and I will be going for coons in a couple weeks. I will keep y'all posted. 

Thanks for all the help. There are not many sights where airforce users are. At least not many that I have found.
Your escape has a 24" barrel I believe and the same valve system as a Condor..... it is just a lighter package with a smaller tank and less shots .... that's a nice light Hunting set up..

My 25 Condor gets an actual 985 fps, your Escape should do the same, (just took my reading off Chairgun) using JSB KH's, a 34gr pellet .... I have 37fpe at 100 yds ....... BUT ...Where it shines is with my Nicks (Nielsen Specialty Airgun Ammo) 39gr swaged slugs going out at 945fps ....where I have over 60fpe at 75 yds and still have 50fpe at 145yds !!!!

The bullet you choose is very important, I use the KH's 99.9% of the time ... the 39gr slugs are for YOTES ! If I was able to hunt pigs where I live I would use the slugs for head shots for sure !

wll2506

"ebigham1"Thanks for the info wll2506. I will be looking into those slugs. That's good to know. Over here you can pretty much hunt hogs with anything. I could not find any restrictions. I just want to make sure that it will take them. I don't want to see any animal suffer.
You get your slugs in the 945fps range and with head shots you should smack 'em

You might want to try Eun Jin 43gr heavies too, as at 60yds you still have over 50 fpe. If your in a blind and your feeder 35-45 yds away, I might try the Eun Jins. In my Condor at 945fps they move my steel splash plate at 40+ yards : - )

wll2506

I am making just at 100 foot pounds at the muzzle with my Condor (950 fps, .25 cal 50 grain hand cast bullet, 24" barrel). After seeing small hogs taken at 30 yards with a .22 at 30 ft pounds by Jim Chapman (his Brocock Compatto) I would not hesitate to take small pigs (head shots) with my Condor. My other Condor is a .257 with a 32" barrel and is shooting up to a 100 gr bullet but it is a work in progress and I have not chronographed it yet so I do not know the energy at the muzzle.

Thurmond

Thanks Thurmond, I think that is one of my problems I don't know what I am putting out. So I am weary of taking a chance. I know I should be over 50 at the muzzle but I would like to know for sure. I know at fifty yards I am knocking holes in 3/4 plywood. The old standard was if you can penetrate 3/4 plywood it has enough force to kill. I guess I will have to invest in a chronograph.

I just bought a new Airforce Escape .25 cal with 24inch barrel. I got the longer barrel for the extra power & survival situations. I don't mind how loud it is in a hunting/survival situation, but woukd like to get a moderator/silencer for home use.

Does anyone have experience with silencers for this?

I hear Talon Tunes is best, but will only work for shorter barrels (Escape UL).

I'm looking at R & L right now, but not sure how well it would work. I can't find much information or videos for silencing the Escape with 24v barrel.

Would love your thoughts.