• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New Air Force Texan SS 308 arriving next week

I took the plunge and bought a package deal TexanSS in 308 with a Hawke scope from Air gun depot.

As a new owner what suggestions does the brain trust here have for me?

I would like a tank wrap cheek weld pad or suggestions to make one.
Any quirks I should look out for?
Any critical break in proceedures?

I did buy the Talon Tunes tank adaptor to lower the sight line, rather than buying a mad dog stock.
I have a tank to fill and a compressor to top it off.

I’ve read the owners manual and it seems very incomplete concerning maintenance/upkeep etc. so suggestions along those lines are helpful.
I don’t really plan to modify the gun but tweaking its performance is more in line with my philosophy.
Thanks!

Reactions: Hoffman9517
contact @Loren for the tank wrap, hes a true craftsman.

The .308 Carbine I had was not the SS version but I found it did not like off the shelf ammo, the groups were too large to be worth anything
I ended up casting my own .309 113 grain solid that flew beautifully, they seem to like .309 more than .308 I was shooting that round at 865 fps on max powerwheel with a carbon fiber tank filled to 3600.

Also lube your slugs!

I just put grip tape on the bottle of my Talon P
IMG_2468.jpg

The biggest improvement I made to mine was a Mad Dog stock.

As for maintenance, the gun is about as simple as it gets. An occasional drop of oil (silicone. no petroleum based oils) on the breech o rings. and clean the barrel before using and then only when accuracy starts dropping off.

I guess you could lightly lubricate the trigger components, but I never have on mine.

contact @Loren for the tank wrap, hes a true craftsman.

The .308 Carbine I had was not the SS version but I found it did not like off the shelf ammo, the groups were too large to be worth anything
I ended up casting my own .309 113 grain solid that flew beautifully, they seem to like .309 more than .308 I was shooting that round at 865 fps on max powerwheel with a carbon fiber tank filled to 3600.

Also lube your slugs!
Good info …especially on the slugs.
Just looked up @Loren and his work which was a mistake!
I’m a decent wood butcher and have wood just laying around needing to be used.
The garage gets cleared out this weekend.

Last edited:
I just put grip tape on the bottle of my Talon P
View attachment 310237
The biggest improvement I made to mine was a Mad Dog stock.

As for maintenance, the gun is about as simple as it gets. An occasional drop of oil (silicone. no petroleum based oils) on the breech o rings. and clean the barrel before using and then only when accuracy starts dropping off.

I guess you could lightly lubricate the trigger components, but I never have on mine
Eventually I know I’ll probably buy or build the stock but for now the tank drop appeals to my spartan nature.
How much does the gun weigh with the stock?

Last edited:
The Texan SS arrived Monday

Yesterday in Nebraska: first shots function check
30 degrees windy
After a couple "location" shots….

Out of the box with the scope (not bore sighted!!) the rifle easily hit an oil drum lid (24"?) at 90 yds with 113 grain slugs off-hand.
About 10 rounds off one tank.
I’m very happy.
Now it’s going to be hard waiting for more slugs to arrive for sighting in.