New AEA 30 cal. Bullpup problems

Wow, sorry to hear you are having issues with the AEA 30 cal. I don't know much about them. But i just saw a review and it is so funny as well as sad. The reviewer actually says the bolt action is hard to pull back but at the same time does not show how hard it is to do so. Every single short fired I saw nothing of him actually cocking the action back. I would suggest lowering the power on the power wheel and only cranking it up when you are up to it. 

Welcome to the forum. Hope there is a answer to lighting that action. 

Allen

Woody, you couldn't have bought a harder to cock airgun if you'd been trying to do so. I'm a pretty strong guy, and had to really, REALLY WANT IT to get my .30 AEA Challenger bullpup cocked before I started customizing it. Lowering the power on the power wheel will not reduce the cocking effort, because that only restricts air passage through the port.

The only way to reduce the cocking effort enough to make any difference is to install a weaker hammer spring, whereupon the cocking effort will reduce by roughly as much as the replacement spring is weaker than the stock spring. Moly lubing the hammer, hammer-spring, and bolt will reduce cocking effort a little, but will be more noticeable with a lighter HS.

I've done such de-tuning to other (Korean) maxi-blaster airguns to great effect, and saw a 30" barreled .30 Challenger as the perfect candidate. IT IS, in every way I'd hoped.

So I bought my 32" barreled .30 Challenger specifically to de-tune to more sane power levels and find a bell-curve power-band; rather than shooting over 1200 FPS in stock form, and each shot being lower velocity than the previous (that drives me nuts).

My Challenger now shoots with any airgun at any price. Here are the details-

download.png
View attachment AEA excerpt pdf.1629844246.pdf

AEA 100 yard.1629844299.jpg

Having found the bell-curve power-band at my desired power level came at only 120 BAR fill pressure, and the factory recommended charge pressure for the gun being 250-300 BAR, once my Huma regulator arrives (next week) I expect to get at least 25-30 regulated-consistency shots from a 250-300 BAR fill.

AEA FLR.1629844817.jpg

You bought an airgunsmith's dream air rifle Woody, but it sounds like you might not be an airgunsmith. Hate to say it, but notwithstanding the modifications I've described, you're not going to enjoy shooting that rifle very much (because you won't be able to cock it more than a few times in a row). 

There is either a spring that needs to be replaced or an adjustment that needs to be made. I had an HPSS .30 that was brutal to cock, unlike my .22 that is tough, but not brutal. I actually had to return it and it was replaced with a new one. Now, the new one cocks just like the .22 -not brutally hard to cock, just tough. Apparently, it's a "thing".

I have several AEA Air rifles,

the hpss .22 is the hardest to cock, then the .30 cal Challenger 32” I found it to be a beast to pull back as like all my AEA bolt guns. I am going to extend the bolt 1/2 inch for better grip with 2 fingers and always pull back with my thumb resting on back of housing. I wish AEA would do as they have done with their magnum style big bores and add the leaver, it is safer and locks after cock! The .30 has a tendency to not lock down as easy all the way and can cause blow back in your face! So double detail to lock down position is critical so I think additional length to bolt handle would help with feel of bolt position as well.