• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New $2K rifle comes with 20 yard target certification

Why is that a new $2k rifle in the year 2016 comes from the importer/distributor with a 20 yard 5-shot target as proof of quality/accuracy? Am I too demanding? I can see in 1980 having a CO2 gun or springer come with such demonstration of quality and workmanship, but today's high-end rifles will shoot near one-pellet-wide holes all day long at 20 yards. How about 40 or 50 yards? Come on!!!???

"FastEddie"Yes. And they should film a group thru a casio to make sure there's no spiralling issues.
There are various options how anal one should or not should be when paying for things that supposed to function in a certain way. Some when buy a new car may only want to start it up in the dealer's lot and reach for their checkbooks right away after that. Some actually want to take it for a test drive. Some may take it further and have a mechanic look at it.

I prefer to test-drive my cars...and since it's not practical for me to fly a few thousand miles to Arizona to test the rifle myself in the sole U.S. importer's store, I prefer to trust the importer, the expert in this business, to treat the process of buying a $2K precision machinery with the same respect as if I am there test shooting this rifle. If you feel comfortable testing at 20 yards a high-end rifle that is capable of shooting half-inch groups at 50 yards all day long and 1 MOA at 100 yards, more power to you. 

No, I don't think you are too demanding in expecting a modern day (presumably you are talking PCP) rifle to group tightly at 50yds.

But what is the importer/distributor claiming the 5-shot target demonstrates? Are they 'certifying' the gun, or offering it as proof of quality/accuracy? Or just an indication that 'at that time', under the prevailing conditions, with that shooter (or test jig) the 5-shot card was shot.

Am I too cynical? Not when there is so much obfuscation in marketing.

In the end, it tells you what the manufacturer thinks about the customer. My $400 CZ 22 lr. came with a signed 50 meter target that verified accuracy, function and point of aim. I shoot a $450 Marauder that came with a warranty card. For that price point what do you expect. I read here of people paying $1300 - $2000 for the latest, highly promoted here, greatest bull pup only to have it fail out of the box. Evidently the manufacturer didn't even bother to air up the thing and test prior to shipping. Not only is that completely unacceptable at that price point it is very disrespectful of the customer. Yet knowing this, people wait for months to be treated like crap. 

Buy a 20,000 Krieghoff k 80 and You get a checklist .buy a Kimber custom pistol and You get a spent bullet case .This is just showing the gun has been test fired .The same with a target it is just showing the gun has been test fired .Some dealers test and some don not .Some charge for then testing .You know the dealers policy before You buy .If You do not ;like them pass and go some where else .If the price seems way too high to You pass on the purchase because Your expectation will never be met .

"ncstan"Buy a 20,000 Krieghoff k 80 and You get a checklist .buy a Kimber custom pistol and You get a spent bullet case .This is just showing the gun has been test fired .The same with a target it is just showing the gun has been test fired .Some dealers test and some don not .Some charge for then testing .You know the dealers policy before You buy .If You do not ;like them pass and go some where else .If the price seems way too high to You pass on the purchase because Your expectation will never be met .
Such "high" expectations by a customer from a company or a product...leads to the acceptance of service and selection that was available in the former Soviet Union. It also overlooks the borderline anti-competitive strangle-hold practiced in the U.S. airgun industry in certain high-end name products which some us of are either forced to live with, while others gladly willing to accept. In essence, you are correct and it may be a motto to live by: if you lower your expectations you will not be disappointed.

What planet do You live on .The selection of airguns has never been larger and the quality is the best it has ever been .Be thank full for the hand full of people that have made this possible by becoming distributors and building the market We have today .This is the same camouflaged dealer hate BS that I hoped would stay away . I will post no more on this topic .

"ncstan"Buy a 20,000 Krieghoff k 80 and You get a checklist .buy a Kimber custom pistol and You get a spent bullet case .This is just showing the gun has been test fired .The same with a target it is just showing the gun has been test fired .Some dealers test and some don not .Some charge for then testing .You know the dealers policy before You buy .If You do not ;like them pass and go some where else .If the price seems way too high to You pass on the purchase because Your expectation will never be met .
Slight turn in the road ahead, (swerving off topic).....

Powder burners usually have a spent shell in the box for 2 reasons.

Yes manufactures safety test the firearms before sending out, But Glock (I have heard others also) then send the spent bullet in so it can be entered in BATF's NIBIN program:

"In addition to recording the markings from guns used in crimes, the system is designed to record markings from the test firing of every new gun. Currently, manufacturer participation is voluntary and only Glock USA, is contributing information to the database. If the database does eventually contain the majority of firearms in the US, it would be possible for the police to start the trace process with nothing more than a bullet or a casing left at a crime scene".

Ok back OT!