Air Venturi New .22 Avenge-X initial shot string

Hi all, I thought I'd share the initial 20-round shot string from a new .22 cal Avenge-X. After shooting a full tank of pellets once I received the rifle, I decided to see what showed up on the chrony. So, this was with a 250-bar fill (don't like going all the way to 300!) and the out-of-the-box regulator pressure of approximately 2100 PSI. JSB 18.13 grain Exact Jumbo Heavy Diablo pellets. The stats:

Average: 936 ft/sec.
Extreme spread: 9 ft/sec.
Min: 932 ft/sec.
Max: 941 ft/sec.
Standard Dev: 2 ft/sec.
Average energy: 35.27 Ft/lbs

I'm pretty impressed with this, and once I got the scope zeroed in, the gun shot a very tight group at 35 yards (about what I shoot out to for most of the pest control shooting I do). At some point soon, I'll likely tune the gun to get something in the range of 885 FPS at a slightly lower reg pressure of around 1800 PSI.

Fun stuff and I'm really enjoying this rifle!
Mike

Initial Avenge-X shot string.png

Mike, congratulations, it looks like you have a shooter! Before you change the regulator pressure I would turn the hammer spring up to see if you are at maximum velocity for the current regulator setting. You want to find the peak velocity and then start turning the regulator down checking accuracy. The normal suggestion is to be 5-7% below the peak. I sometimes stop a bit above that if that's where the gun wants to shoot best. But you need to know where you are to start. 7% below 936 is 870, I believe. If your current settings are the peak for the regulator setting then all you need to do is reduce the hammer spring some to be where you want to be. If you are well below peak, then I agree, you will need to turn the regulator down (after degassing the gun).

Under an inch. About nickel size.

Under an inch. About nickel size.
If you want to tight the groups even more degass your airgun completely and set the reg to no more than 2000 psi and start from there with the H/S all the way to the left with 0 tension. From my experience the sweet spot for this 18 grains diábolo pellets is between 880 and 890 fps. Remember that the new stainless steel reg that comes with this Avenge-X for some unknown reason retain air after the aigun is degassed completely, so is a must that you dry fired the gun a couple’s times before you start the tunning process.

The first 12 bullseyes target were all done at 35 yards shooting with three different pellets the JSB, the AA and FX atomics all the groups were done with 5 shots each. The second one with 16 bullseyes the first two from left to right were done at 35 yards and the third and fourth at 50 yards with 5 shots groups also. But this were shooting with the .25 cal 25 grains not with the .22 cal 18 grains pellets.

I currently own 4 Avengers two .22 and two .25 cal one first gen wood stock and three Avenge-X two classics wood stock and one with a synthetic stock that plan to upgrade from a tube to a bigger carbon fiber bottle as soon the conversion kit is available to the public. Today I am planning to test my Avenge-X classic .22 cal with the JSB, vs the FX vs the Air arms diábolo fields 18 grains pellets at 35 yards, to see which one perform better in my airgun at this range. Good luck 👍😊

IMG_6390.jpeg

IMG_8712.png

IMG_8723.jpeg

IMG_8711.jpeg

IMG_8590.jpeg

IMG_8680.jpeg

IMG_8602.jpeg

IMG_6450.png

IMG_8476.jpeg

IMG_8581.png

Last edited:
Thanks! Not sure what I’ll do yet, but I do like to tinker, so I’ll likely do some kind of tuning.

Looks like your weather is much more conducive to testing than what I have up here in rainy/snowy New York! 😉
That’s correct I forget to tell you that I live in carribean in the island of PR, we have warm weather all year long here that’s why maybe my tune it’s not the best for you because in cold weather the air is much denser than ours. BTW I was born in New York in the Memorial Hospital 👍😊

IMG_8753.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeyJ
Thanks! Not sure what I’ll do yet, but I do like to tinker, so I’ll likely do some kind of tuning.

Looks like your weather is much more conducive to testing than what I have up here in rainy/snowy New York! 😉
If you use to shot in your backyard and have neighbors close to your house like me, its a must to use a good moderator, I am using the Hugget Snipe in all my airguns. I took a video a few days back shooting one of my Avenge-X in .25 around 900 fps with this moderator and all of them are completely backyard friendly because this 👍😉.

Last edited:
If you use to shot in your backyard and have neighbors close to your house like me, its a must to use a good moderator, I am using the Hugget Snipe in all my airguns. I took a video a few days back shooting one of my Avenge-X in .25 cal at close to 900 fps with this moderator and all of them are completely backyard friendly because this 👍😉.

View attachment 429371
I hear ya!
I live on a farm, so I don’t have to worry too much about neighbors, but I do have a DonnyFL Tanto on mine and it makes quite a difference!

Reactions: Ray_PR
That’s correct I forget to tell you that I live in carribean in the island of PR, we have warm weather all year long here that’s why maybe my tune it’s not the best for you because in cold weather the air is much denser than ours. BTW I was born in New York in the Memorial Hospital 👍😊

View attachment 429370
Wanna trade places? 😉
Is that the hospital that was near the East River?

Wanna trade places? 😉
Is that the hospital that was near the East River?
I really don’t remember I lived in the states for a very short time, after my parents divorced. I was only in second grade when they sent me to PR to live with my grandmother and never returned to the states again. My mom and my sister both live in Florida.

Last edited:
This was today’s results shooting my Avenge-X classic .22 cal with the JSB, FX and AA 18 grains pellets at 35 yards. All groups were 5 shots each from top to bottom the JSB, the FX and the last two groups was done with the air arms diábolo fields pellets. I was using the same tune for all the pellets since they weight the same. The barrels of this airguns like more the JSB and air arms over the FX pellets.

IMG_8783.jpeg

IMG_8781.jpeg

IMG_8769.png

IMG_8773.png

IMG_8774.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Airgun Al
Congrats with your Avenge-X! Nice to read about it while I'm waiting for mine 🙂

The factory settings are usually fine for breaking in the gun. Unless it's way out of spec (too fast or too slow) I suggest that you shoot your new airgun a while (at least 500 pellets) before thinking about making any changes. No point in trying to tune when the airgun is breaking in.

Cheers!

Congrats with your Avenge-X! Nice to read about it while I'm waiting for mine 🙂

The factory settings are usually fine for breaking in the gun. Unless it's way out of spec (too fast or too slow) I suggest that you shoot your new airgun a while (at least 500 pellets) before thinking about making any changes. No point in trying to tune when the airgun is breaking in.

Cheers!
In my particular case all my Avengers came completely degassed since I live overseas and this is the only way USPS ship this airguns outside the states. The first thing we all need to do to increase this airguns accuracy is to clean the barrel, then test several different pellets to see which one our gun like the most with the help of a chronograph to be sure we’re shotting them with the correct tune 👍😉.

IMG_8522.jpeg