• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New .177 Benjamin Match Grade 10.5 Gr pellets VS AA 10.3 Gr pellets

I invested 7 hours of drive time and the cost of a hotel room/meals to get to spend about three hours at the Pyramid Cup yesterday. My objective was simply to get to talk with vendors and industry professionals to learn and get better with the hobby I enjoy so much. It was worth the effort and expense and after watching a couple of rounds of the bench rest competition, I feel pretty good about the state of my equipment and capabilities.

One of the items I picked up while there were a couple of tins of the new .177 Benjamin Match 10.5 Gr pellets.

This afternoon the Indiana whether was producing humid and breezy conditions - a perfect excuse to utilize the indoor range. After getting caught up with my professional responsibilities and home commitments, I decided it was a good idea to try out the new Benjamin pellets, comparing their performance to my favorite AA pellets.

As you will see by the photo below, they shot incredibly well from both my HW97 blue laminate and my AA S510, In both cases performing better than the AA pellets. The yardage was only 18 yards but the conditions were pretty controlled. I believe the performance difference would only be pronounced as the distance increased.

I have a lot of AA pellets on hand and they obviously shoot very well. But when I go to purchase more .177 heavy pellets, the Benjamin Match pellets will be my first choice.

2C60F5EE-600E-4F25-B7E3-C41BA2375363.jpeg

all early 2001- 2007 vintage
Okay thanks...yeah, I bought a box a few times between 2014-present and they were always underwhelming. Ho-hum groups in virtually every rifle I tried, which was no surprise with so many molding defects. Ended up burning through half of them in chronograph work as a stand-in for the JSB/AA/FX 10.3gr.

In any case, I hope Crosman/Benjamin has found a renewed and sincere commitment to producing the same quality they did 20 years ago.

I have shot thousands of the brown box pellets, and while yes they shoot very well, the match pellets superiority is not only shown in even more consistency in the group appearances but by the extremely low SDs which I believe stem from very consistent weight profiles.

Not sure how much it really matters on your situation but I am rather anal when it comes to these sorts of things. It the brown box pellets work for you, stay with it.

I have shot thousands of the brown box pellets, and while yes they shoot very well, the match pellets superiority is not only shown in even more consistency in the group appearances but by the extremely low SDs which I believe stem from very consistent weight profiles.

Not sure how much it really matters on your situation but I am rather anal when it comes to these sorts of things. It the brown box pellets work for you, stay with it.
Have you shot them at anything beyond 18 yards?

Last edited:
I had larger groups from the Benjamin match at 50 yards in the wind than I had from JSB. Kind of like when I tried the QYS pellets. They are very good and hold tight groups right out of the tin, but my rifles had a tough time holding tighter groups with any wind. They tend to deflect more in the wind from my testing. Indoors I can put the QYS in the same tiny hole but not in the wind. Your results may be different than mine.
Thx
Dan

Has anyone noticed a significant difference in FPS using these pellets? ive had some shot strings register a spread of 40fps in some instances, im wondering if its a bad chrony (fx pocket radar)
I also experienced similar spreads. Not only that, fps was consistently lower than H@N Match 10.65 and JSB 10.34. Enough for me to avoid.

I also experienced similar spreads. Not only that, fps was consistently lower than H@N Match 10.65 and JSB 10.34. Enough for me to avoid.
same here, i cant figure out how a 10.5 benji can fly 60fps slower than a 10.3 jsb, surely 0.16 of a grain couldn't make that much of velocity change, out of curiosity what rifle were you shooting them through?