Never saw one dance like this one did

karl_h

Aug 11, 2020
sc
Little squirrel, bad shot. It's been raining for a few hours and I finally gave up waiting it out and was heading to the grocery store. Opened the storm door and saw a squirrel sitting down to eat a pecan in one of my trees, just a couple feet from the one that has been hung up in the tree for a couple weeks. Grabbed the Uragan 22 and just having the knuckles of my support hand touching a roof post on the deck, tried to put a pellet in very front of shoulder, his body was behind a fairly large limb. Made a bad shot, hit him less than 1/2 inch from where I wanted, knew by the sound of the pellet smacking him I hit the head somewhere. The yellow line is about where the tree limb had his body blocked. He dropped straight to the ground and many times was springing straight up over 2 feet high, for over 5 seconds it was like he was on a trampoline. When he stopped I settled in for a second shot and saw he was dead already, no second shot needed. All that springing up in the air, at least 8 times higher than 2 feet, he ended up withing a foot of where he fell. I've seen plenty flop around vigorously but never springing into the air flipping like this guy did, never landed on feet, ass, sides, head, never on his feet.

entrance
squirrelent.jpg

exit
squirrelexit.jpg

Great shot even though POI was off! And, yup, when hit in the fuse box, it can cause the nerves to fire wildly! Nice pics.
I've been at war with them since I bought this house in 2011. I prefer to body shoot them, but I know better than to wait for a shot I want, they are far to skittis even before I declared war on them. After almost 11 years of shooting them anytime of the year, they are the most skittish things I've ever seen. It's funny I can walk 150 yards back into my woods and they aren't a tenth as skittish. I've shot plenty in the head in all those years, plenty in the rear end on, etc... Never had a head shot do more than twist and turn quickly on the ground. This one wasn't jumping in the air, his body was convulsing so violently it launched him very literally over 2 feet in the air. Never saw anything close to it.

Didn't happen unless I can see your setup lol!! I come here to see people's setup while they are hunting to give me ideas!! All jokes asides nice shoot!! I got 8 so far today and yesterday with my new rig!
Nothing special, just a 22 Uragan compact, votex diamondback 4-14. I would never recommend that scope to anyone, glass quality is approaching what I call SUCKS. My real hunting arms all have Zeiss, Swarovski, or Schmidt and Benders on them, the real ones, not american market price point stuff. I'm spoiled by real glass, the diamondback really does suck. For a daytime squirrel killer it's passable. I have quite a few barely passable scopes on my plinkers and my air rifles, but the diamondback is really at the bottom of the heap. I got it at 60% off MAP pricing so gave it a try, will never get another. Huma reg for the added plenum space, back when I got the uragan I was only shooting heavies and trying slugs:the slugs were a lost cause with choked barrel. The Huma with the added plenum space really helped a lot. I don't shoot the heavies anymore, no need at the ranges I shoot and going from 33+ ft/lbs to the 22 or 23 I shoot now with 14.66 H&N's does all I need and saves a lot of air. Less refilling, less having to crank up my kidde compressor for my scba bottles. The white velcro is how I attach my recoil trigger for my Labradar, it always just stays on the last thing it was attached to. Probably been at least 2 months since I last used the labradar.

uragan.jpg

Reactions: addison
I've been at war with them since I bought this house in 2011. I prefer to body shoot them, but I know better than to wait for a shot I want, they are far to skittis even before I declared war on them. After almost 11 years of shooting them anytime of the year, they are the most skittish things I've ever seen. It's funny I can walk 150 yards back into my woods and they aren't a tenth as skittish. I've shot plenty in the head in all those years, plenty in the rear end on, etc... Never had a head shot do more than twist and turn quickly on the ground. This one wasn't jumping in the air, his body was convulsing so violently it launched him very literally over 2 feet in the air. Never saw anything close to it.
I hear ya about a war against rodents! I too am at war with rats in my back yard (10 years plus). Had a weird thing happen similar to yours, aimed at a young one's forehead as it was facing me str8 on, took the shot and it leapt off the bait stations platform hitting the lawn launching itself airborne and squeaking something fierce for about 3 seconds continuously....then it expired about 15 feet where it had first landed. Went to get it and it must have lifted its head as I took the shot as the pellet had entered it's mouth and exited it's nether region....your story is wild, especially because it was it's body muscles flinging it skyward! I hope you keep your nut trees free of those squirrels!

Nothing special, just a 22 Uragan compact, votex diamondback 4-14. I would never recommend that scope to anyone, glass quality is approaching what I call SUCKS. My real hunting arms all have Zeiss, Swarovski, or Schmidt and Benders on them, the real ones, not american market price point stuff. I'm spoiled by real glass, the diamondback really does suck. For a daytime squirrel killer it's passable. I have quite a few barely passable scopes on my plinkers and my air rifles, but the diamondback is really at the bottom of the heap. I got it at 60% off MAP pricing so gave it a try, will never get another. Huma reg for the added plenum space, back when I got the uragan I was only shooting heavies and trying slugs:the slugs were a lost cause with choked barrel. The Huma with the added plenum space really helped a lot. I don't shoot the heavies anymore, no need at the ranges I shoot and going from 33+ ft/lbs to the 22 or 23 I shoot now with 14.66 H&N's does all I need and saves a lot of air. Less refilling, less having to crank up my kidde compressor for my scba bottles. The white velcro is how I attach my recoil trigger for my Labradar, it always just stays on the last thing it was attached to. Probably been at least 2 months since I last used the labradar.

View attachment 310648
I had same gun and i liked it a lot but mine I put moderator directly to barrel and made the gun extremely short

I had one do like karl_h described it was maybe 17 to 18 yards from me and on Red Alert as I had to open a window in the house to get the shot. I was trying for a brain shot but hit a bit low and that squirrel started jumping up and forward I'm guessing 2 or 3 feet off the ground. He did this around two sides of my storage shed and ended up along the back side of the storage shed, and I heard his last jump when he slammed up against the shed. I waited a while and went looking and was really surprised that on the last jump there was smeared blood as good 3 feet up on the back side of the shed. I have never seen anything like this before or since and hope that I don't, I much prefer that they drop on the spot DRT. Most of the brain shots they drop and do the dance for a little bit - a few seconds- I have had a couple of body shots that take off like a rocket for 10 yards or so and drop dead. The farthest that I can remember is maybe 20 yards.