Never had an idea HOW TRICK these scope rings really are !!! Burris XTR Signature

Good buddy who is thinning his herd of shooting gear gave me a couple sets .... When placing the 1.25" 30mm set onto my vintage .25 WAR Flex it became obvious just how special these ring sets are. Being the inserts Float within the top/bottom ( Main ring & cap ) and the kit comes with 4 various MOA off set inserts allowing PLUS or MINUS 10 to 40 MOA angle correction.
It can be in vertical plane ( Elevation ), Horizontal plane ( Windage ) or any combo in an orbital correction pending insert and where & how placed . Genius !!!

For whatever reason the WAR always shot LEFT on a centered scope & some scopes internally went near adjustment limits in correction.
So with these BURRIS XTR's we place the "0" insert in front position and a +20 moa in the rear having ocular being raised from level. Then put a slight CW rotation on rear insert which moves the scopes Objective to the left slightly, Ocular right. Tighten it down reticle level to bore and go and sight back in ... The windage correction while not perfect was very close so left it alone & turret adjusting it in. With 20 moa of elevation of course it was shooting WAY high which was adjusted to the lower 3rd of range on turret. Now we have more vertical we can dial in for long distance work ... winner winner !!

Again the inserts float until Caps are snugged up locking it all down. Really really slick ring sets !!!

Last edited:
RIghty-O!
Been using the XTR's for years and have made the same type of adjustments that Motorhead described.
When you purchase a set, the rings come with the various inserts, no extra.
They only come in Picatinny. They also are available in 1", 1.25" and 1.5" heights. 1", 30, and 34mm too. Three screws hold the top and bottom together, very solid.

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
I dont k ow enough about them. When I see them I want to buy them but don't know how to buy a complete assembly. Can you get picatinny base or is dovetail only what's available with them? Is there a how-to when buying ?

Allen
PIC only and come in pairs w/ inserts all packaged in a plastic plano dry box

Reactions: Healthservices
That's the only rings I've ever used. Not the way you use them though.
I put an optically centered scope in them and use the inserts to get POI to within 1 - 3 clicks of adjustment, so the scope remains optically centered @ POI.
Use a Coldshot or Raven Jack Plate for elevation adjustments.
The old school - turning of the elevation adjustment for longer shots changes the parallax of a properly adjusted parallax in an optically centered scope.
Scope optics are engineered to look through the center.

Good buddy who is thinning his herd of shooting gear gave me a couple sets .... When placing the 1.25" 30mm set onto my vintage .25 WAR Flex it became obvious just how special these ring sets are. Being the inserts Float within the top/bottom ( Main ring & cap ) and the kit comes with 4 various MOA off set inserts allowing PLUS or MINUS 10 to 40 MOA angle correction.
It can be in vertical plane ( Elevation ), Horizontal plane ( Windage ) or any combo in an orbital correction pending insert and where & how placed . Genius !!!

For whatever reason the WAR always shot LEFT on a centered scope & some scopes internally went near adjustment limits in correction.
So with these BURRIS XTR's we place the "0" insert in front position and a +20 moa in the rear having ocular being raised from level. Then put a slight CW rotation on rear insert which moves the scopes Objective to the left slightly, Ocular right. Tighten it down reticle level to bore and go and sight back in ... The windage correction while not perfect was very close so left it alone & turret adjusting it in. With 20 moa of elevation of course it was shooting WAY high which was adjusted to the lower 3rd of range on turret. Now we have more vertical we can dial in for long distance work ... winner winner !!

Again the inserts float until Caps are snugged up locking it all down. Really really slick ring sets !!!
They are the best rings around IMO. All scopes are best optically when centered in their adjustment range, the more expensive the better they do off center, but even 5k dollar scopes are affected, cheap scopes can truly suck when even halfway through their adjustment range. On all my new PB rifles, which I stopped buying any more nearly 2 decades ago, I always mounted a scope with the adjustments centered, and fired the rifle. Any that were off by more than what would be 5 or so inches at 100 yards, I went through all sorts of trouble to adjust mounting systems to get it within that distance before zeroing. Then I found the burris signature rings with inserts, joy. They work exactly as advertised and do not mar scope tubes at all. I have one tack driving rifle that something between the barrel/action/mount point is so wrong, a centered scope will be nearly 1 foot off at 25 yards. The schmidt and bender Zernith I have on that rifle gets into the red indicator on adjustment before you could get half the error dialed, and I doubt it would even have enough adjustment to get there anyway. Only Schmidt and Bender I have, I don't know if all scmidts have the indicator like the Zenith does that shows when you get so far out in adjustment it takes optical quality beyond what they deem good, never saw that on any other rifle scope. That coincided with me discovering those burris rings. A little math and you can get remarkably close setting them up to be done first try, and then do normal zeroing. On that particular rifle it took me two tries to get it close enough, I had screwed up the measurement between the center of the rings and used the outside to outside distance of rings instead of the centers.

... the kit comes with 4 various MOA off set inserts allowing PLUS or MINUS 10 to 40 MOA angle correction.
Not exactly true, they give the dimensions of the sets, you have to do the math based on the centers of the rings on your mount. If your mounts are close together, the offsets change the aim more than the exact same offset would be with the mounts further apart.

Reactions: Motorhead
^^^^
Ah, but this is what Burris advertises:
"Each ring set includes one set of the +/- 0 MOA concentric, one set each of the +/-5 MOA and +/-10 MOA, and two sets of the +/-20 MOA. With these inserts, it is possible to make 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 or 40 MOA of cant in the scope mount."
So, I'm guessing that the advert is going for the 'maximum' allowable, forgetting that the space between the rings matters (even though it states right in the instructions for setting up).
No matter I suppose, these rings are the hot set up.
mike

That's the only rings I've ever used. Not the way you use them though.
I put an optically centered scope in them and use the inserts to get POI to within 1 - 3 clicks of adjustment, so the scope remains optically centered @ POI.
Use a Coldshot or Raven Jack Plate for elevation adjustments.
The old school - turning of the elevation adjustment for longer shots changes the parallax of a properly adjusted parallax in an optically centered scope.
Scope optics are engineered to look through the center.
this is what i wanted to know , thankyou

The numbers on the inserts are thousandths of an inch. Gota do the math to find the true MOA offsets.

Burris Signature rings are my first choice for all of my guns. For the no ring mark feature if nothing else. The offsets are just an added bonus.

I use the small slip in 11mm groove adapters on any gun that doesn't have a Picatinny rail...

Just paid 45$ for a used set on Amazon and they are as new.

Like others in this thread these are my number one choice of rings for any gun at any price. I have used almost every brand of rings out there over the last 40 years and nothing compares to the XTR Signatures. I use some of the regular Signatures Zee Rings as well but they pale in comparison to the XTR Signatures. Not a fan of the "bendy" clamp on the Zee Signatures. I would like to see a 4 screw per top version of the XTR Signatures that has the same rail mounting system as the XTRs for a ring in-between the two current offerings and at about 3/4" wide from front to back.

With an ultra light heavy recoiling rifle you might need to use rosin on the inserts to keep the scope from slipping under recoil with the XTR Signatures, but they have held well on "normal" weight 50 BMG and 338 LM rifles. I too would like to see a 1.25" tall set in 34mm as well but I will take what I can get.

After reading your post I ordered a set of these on amazon (open box) for $45.00.
I found them easy to use and enjoyed a simple 5 MOA. Very happy to try/use something lower than eagle vision Adjustable. Thanks for the tip!

So I too ordered a set. Something to mess with later when I cannot sleep.

20230905_201621.jpg

20230905_201720.jpg

20230905_201813.jpg

20230905_201823.jpg

Allen

I've used Signature rings for years, and they work great. Within their range, they are infinitely adjustable, although it might take some fiddling to get them correct. I was looking for a set of inserts years ago, and availability was about nil, no one had them. So, I called Burris one Saturday, not expecting to get an answer, but someone picked up, just said "hello". I verified it was the Burrris facility, and the guy said yes, he was just doing some cleaning up and thought the call might be his wife. I told him my problem, he said hang on, and lay the phone down. He came back, "hey, I've got a bag of them here, what's your address"? Got them in a few days, never a bill. Obviously, that was a unique circumstance, but I've had other contact with them over the years and found good customer service. Burris has since been bought by Beretta, also a quality company, so hopefully their service is still good.

Reactions: Motorhead