• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Gamo Never again

I found this last night searching for a different air rifle. Price seems a little high to me, but Im relatively new to this airgun stuff. Was seriously considering it.. does anyone have any knowledge about this air rifle? And how accurate are they at 50 yards?
but money is a bit tight these days. Being disabled and a retired veteran. Im struggling to justify it..
Really wishing that FWB had made a 300 su in .22..

The 54 is an accurate gun, though it is a beast at 10 pounds unscoped. Price is fair, but not a steal. Unless you're pretty strong you won't be shooting it offhand or carrying it too far IMO. The HW95 is a great balance of power to weight in my opinion.

They'll look the same but twice as big. Shooting a spring gun at 50yds doesn't test the gun, it tests the shooter. Thats not what I need to do here.
Other factors come into play as you add distance.
I recently shot a one hole group at 30 yards, only to have it open up to 4+ inches at 75y. Wind, and scope cant, became critical, but that doesn't take away from the guns performance. It just adds complexity to the shooter.

Reactions: beerthief
Other factors come into play as you add distance.
I recently shot a one hole group at 30 yards, only to have it open up to 4+ inches at 75y. Wind, and scope cant, became critical, but that doesn't take away from the guns performance. It just adds complexity to the shooter.
That's exactly my point and why I test springer tunes at 25yds for customers and not 50. Eliminate as many variables as possible and see what the gun itself is doing. The kicker is that these barrels are typically freshly scrubbed clean too with under 10 shots through them when tested. I know if its holding a nickel or a dime it only get better with time.

Tried tuning a few Gamos for people a good while ago but I handed them back not much better than I received them. Smoother perhaps within the normal aspect of a decent Top hat and good clean out but could not get the consistency going.
General findings on going in was quality control was poor. ....all over the place..
General mechanics 6/10.
Not for me.

They were made by the El Gamo factory in Spain but imported into the UK as the main distributer.
At that time there was power restrictions in Spain which meant they could not be a direct distributer to country's with above 6ftlbs freedom.
This has since changed, but for me a complete disgrace that BSA with long standing English gun making tradition (with much better quality rifles) sold out to them, who now produce crap versions of BSAs..
England sort of sold itself down the river. I never quite got the back of the short sighted view. Webley closed, the Tempest rights sold off to a Turkish company ....80 years of tradition given away. BSA sold off, rather than developing and growing. Quality control issues rife since being produced in Spain....
We produced much better guns, sitting about halfway between German stuff and Spanish....and even matching in some case...

Very Interesting Thread -

I've been a Gamo watcher but never a buyer.
I bought one simply because a friend of mine shoots a Gamo 10X something first gen. He wanted me to get one to target shoot together with.
Well I didn’t get a 10X anything. But I did get the Magnum in .25. Spring, not gas piston. I wanted a challenge. I’m enjoying the heck out of it.
And I’ve been mostly impressed since pulling it out of the box.

And I get to spend some time with a buddy.

Reactions: Bandito and MJS
I once saw a gamo at an auction that said it was made in england. The fit and finish looked great but i didn't know they were made in the uk at one time. They had that and a fwb 124, the bid was choice and i went to 250$ and he won the bid and took the gamo? I did get the 124 but did i let a good one slip away?
Back around 2005, the then-new Gamo Hunter 1250's (top-of-the-line springers for Gamo), were made in Birmingham, England. These Hurricane 1250's are a mile above general Gamo produce in quality; Gaylord considered them just as good as the German magnums. Soon after, the manufacturing of these rifles was moved to Spain, and the quality immediately dropped. How do I know? I own both a 2006 Hurricane 1250 and a 2008 Gamo 1250, and it's like night and day.

The hitch here is that for a good while after the transition, the Hunter 1250 barrels were still made in Birmingham, so the guns proudly state 'Made in England' on their breech blocks, even when the rest of the guns are made in Spain and of the usual Who Cares?-level of commitment. Then there are the 1250 SE's which are made in Spain through and through.

All Big Magnum Gamos have the same-spec "33mm" hardware, with only the furniture and name changing to keep the sales up.

I found this last night searching for a different air rifle. Price seems a little high to me, but Im relatively new to this airgun stuff. Was seriously considering it.. does anyone have any knowledge about this air rifle? And how accurate are they at 50 yards?
but money is a bit tight these days. Being disabled and a retired veteran. Im struggling to justify it..

The Diana 54 is probably the most-qualified long-range spring gun around. Other top-of-the-line springers like the AA TX200 or the HW97 or the Walther LGV / LGU are just as accurate, but the D54 is the only high-power gun that is also highly accurate out to maximum springer distances, even past 50 yards. It has a semi-recoilless sled system, like on some vintage 10M target guns, which makes it singular in the guns available today (I'm not counting the Omnia in this discussion). It definitely makes accuracy easier.

The D54's are very heavy, but NONE of the above top-of-the-line springers are much lighter. There's a reason for that. The D54 is quite short, and zero barrel heavy, so it's much more manageable than the weight alone would suggest. Still, I can't imagine a non-strong person hauling one over the hill and valley. But not all springer guys or spring guns need such hauling.

Some people consider the sidelever Dianas such as the D54 hard guns to cock. I personally find the sidelever Dianas surprisingly easy to cock in comparison to the power that they make. It simply takes a bunch of energy to push high-BC .22 cal pellets out at 800+ fps, which these guns do. They are a really well thought-out, efficient, proven design.

The D54 .22 cal in the link is an older model, with a stock style that's no longer in production. My 54 is the same, and I find the stock comfortable and fitting, but haven't tried out the new stock version, which I think I would like even more.

Reactions: Bandito
Iv had a few Gamo guns In my time either sold or returned most of them , IMHO I think the best springer gamo ever produced Is the Hunter pro In .22 never had a 177 so I cant comment on that . for accuracy Its up there with the English/German guns . I don't think you can get them any more but I could be wrong .
Totally agree with your comment. You are talking about the Hunter Extreme Pro, right? This is the model that has the IGT gas ram installed (NOT a "springer"). I think you are right on that rifle not being available any more (Gamo "limited run"), although the same rifle can still be had in .25 caliber. I have the Hunter Ext Pro rifle in .22 cal and love everything about it. Well, maybe everything except the cocking effort. All that power has to come from somewhere, right? Mine is shooting right about 27 ft lbs energy with the JSB 15.89's clocking around 880 ft sec over my chronograph. Good power/accuracy for pest control, up to and including my "backyard" groundhogs that seem to insist on excavating under the backyard shed. Until they meet up with the Gamo Ext Pro/JSB combo, that is.

Well, gasram guns ARE springers, they just have gas springs instead of steel springs.
Ahh---OK. I just don't associate/think about a gasram rifle in the same way as a conventional steel springer rifle. Maybe its just the fact that both types are mostly breakbarrel rifles, and that causes us to lump both together (maybe)?

Reactions: BABz58
Buyers remorse!!!!
Never again shall I ever purchase another Gamo air rifle.
About ,6 months ago i bought a Gamo whisper wildcat in .22.
Since then it has been the most ridiculously inaccurate, lousy trigger piece of junk.. it wouldn't shoot a tight group at 25 yards if needed.

One would hope that it would at least shoot a 3" group..no such luck.
And the recoil is too much for the utg scope i put on it. I tried everything. Even put it in a lead sled that was bolted down.. never again.
Sorry gamo but this is one customer you shall not be getting back anytime soon..
Drop em like a bad habit and never look back. Some things just aren't worth the time, and Gamo is one of them.

Try the Diana Two-Fifty.