Neil Clague moderator internals?

I was wondering if anyone has taken apart a Neil Clague moderator or shroud to view the internals. I would love to see what they look like. It seems almost every other brand has been tore down and inspected/photographed. I find the whole air vs powder variations on effectiveness interesting and would love to see proven designs other than whats out there.

If anyone has any pics I would love to see them..

I had an incident when I was first trying to use a Cothran valve. Excessive hammer strike and 3000PSI tethered resulted in seeing the innards of a 2"x 6" Clague.

After solving my tune problem---significantly reducing hammer strike--- I ended up pressing/epoxying it back together.and it functions fine.

2nvypsg.jpg
[/url][/img]

Reactions: Shelby78
Neil has many design configurations. They can be made out of different materials such as aluminum, carbon fiber or titanium, some with baffles, some without, different lengths, diameters etc... they are custom made so one might be made out of carbon fiber with no baffles, the next aluminum with three baffles, it depends on what’s ordered. 

Stoti

That's crazy that you moved enuff air to blow it apart.... Soo far it looks simpler than I hoped for....I am seeing a trend of design similarities with a lot of makers... Thanks for the pics and thanks to anyone with a response/info.

I was expecting to see some hidden air stripper and some crazy endcap...

It is a very effective design. with a 18" barrel and a 60fpe tune this particular gun is more than backyard friendly. 

Neil has many design configurations. They can be made out of different materials such as aluminum, carbon fiber or titanium, some with baffles, some without, different lengths, diameters etc... they are custom made so one might be made out of carbon fiber with no baffles, the next aluminum with three baffles, it depends on what’s ordered. 

Stoti

I know Neil does custom work and fully understand any maker can and will use different materials, different diameters, different lengths. I have seen Neil himself post that he only uses 2 baffles. That may have changed over the years. I thought he may of run 2 baffles plus a endcap (maybe stripper style) or 2 baffles with a stripper at the muzzle and a end cap or so on and so on.

When guys go on for years about perfecting there design and me not having seen the internals it makes you guess at intricate designs. You know, maybe there some voodoo he knows that works better. So far this does not seem to be the case. While it is only one picture it lines up with things Neil himself has said.

If I were building things for sale I would use the most efficient design for everything I build unless the design wasn't possible on a certain gun or the gun was low power and didn't need the best. I have also seen Neil post that its his way or the highway so you can order whatever you want but he is building it to his specs. Now we are back to his design...

I was simply disappointed at what I saw. I know it is a small sample of his work but it is still his work on what is a 60 ft pound gun. If it works and its simple that's great. I simply wasn't expecting to see the cookie cutter design.

The thread from STO "Moderator Design, Testing, and Evaluation" got me back to thinking about designs again.

That's crazy that you moved enuff air to blow it apart.... Soo far it looks simpler than I hoped for....I am seeing a trend of design similarities with a lot of makers... Thanks for the pics and thanks to anyone with a response/info.

I was expecting to see some hidden air stripper and some crazy endcap...

It is a very effective design. with a 18" barrel and a 60fpe tune this particular gun is more than backyard friendly.

I appreciate the feedback on effectiveness and power level that it is effective at. I do not doubt it is a effective design as it seems most makers from the last few years have used roughly this style so it must work.

I am not trying to attack or discredit Neil in any way. There are lots of pictures/videos of almost any brand of moderator being tore apart to show the internals. I guess not seeing the internals of Neils (reportedly one of the better designs) pasted all over the internet created a hype for me. This is good when your in business and creates a mystery.

Thanks again for any and all info

I appreciate the feedback on effectiveness and power level that it is effective at. I do not doubt it is a effective design as it seems most makers from the last few years have used roughly this style so it must work.

I am not trying to attack or discredit Neil in any way. There are lots of pictures/videos of almost any brand of moderator being tore apart to show the internals. I guess not seeing the internals of Neils (reportedly one of the better designs) pasted all over the internet created a hype for me. This is good when your in business and creates a mystery.

Thanks again for any and all info

Understood and no worries. I have only posted that pic twice and each time I was apprehensive about how it would be received. My intent wasn't to disparage the product/manufacturer. I was shocked (and a little disappointed) that it happened, but I accepted responsibility for making the mistake in tuning vs trying to lay blame elsewhere..... 

For what little it is worth, I have two Clagues kicking around. One is as pictured above, just another hair curlers and washer baffles design. It also has the same or similar color felt as posted by Mackeral5. The other has baffles spaced out with what looks like a white plastic, I'm guessing PVC as it has that porous texture of machined PVC. The baffles themselves on this one have quite a lot of rust on them. Both designs appear to have three baffles with the widest spacing at the rear (threaded end) and decreasing spacing towards the front. 

I hope that helps.