• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Neil Clague LDC, shrouds, etc

My first LDC I purchased from Neil Clague was for an AA S510. The LDC really made the gun quiet and did not affect accuracy at all. December 2014 I purchased an FX Royale 500 .25 caliber. I had heard how quite the gun was, but the first time I shot mine, I knew something had to be done. It was not neighborhood friendly at all. Due to the design of the rifle, a complete shroud could not be added to the barrel. The short shroud that was on it contained no baffles. I ordered some baffles from a company and they were too small. The company told me to send them the shroud and they would turn some baffles for the shroud. After 2 months of waiting and not receiving the shroud and baffles, I turned to Neil Clague again. I told Neil what I needed and he knew just what to do. Neil asked for certain photographs with measurements and those were sent to him. What I received in less than 2 weeks is simply unbelievable. The rifle now makes no noise. The only noise I hear is when the pellet strikes the backstop. I was at my gun club recently shooting at the 100 yard range on a dirt berm. After shooting around 10 to 15 rounds, a group of shooters on the line were standing around me wondering what the heck I was shooting and why it was so quite. I removed the LDC and fired a couple of rounds and it sounded much like a .22 LR. I’m not sure now if they were impressed that the rifle was so quite or that a pellet rifle was actually holding groups at 100 yards. The LDC is one piece and approximately 15” long and 1.5” in diameter. The LDC slips over the barrel and screws in place about half up the shroud. With the LDC in place, it is slightly shorter in overall length than if the stock LDC was in place. When looking at the LDC in place on the rifle, it appears that it could be muzzle heavy, but is not in the least. The LDC is very light weight and comes with a very good finish. Neil Clague puts out quality products and I would not hesitate to buy from him again.
532pO8D.jpg

NqmFjf1.jpg

Y8P8GvT.jpg

http://petersoncorner.com/clague/default.htm

I have been thinking about puting one on my bobcat .30 cal. I'll be in contact soon, that's for sure. I do have a question for you? Or test so to speak. Try shooting your gun with all original parts and then shoot with Neil's LDC. My POI changed with his shroud on vs when my is just on. I hear this is quit normal. But as far as accuracy it remained the same. To me, thats far more important. Best Steve 

The LDC/shroud on the Royale/Boss platform is the same (except for the length). To remove the shroud you must heat the area where the cylindrical shroud tube meets the cone adapter to the barrel. Once the glue is heated you can simply twist off the shroud. Then you will find a small grub screw underneath the cone to barrel adapter. Simply loosen and then remove the adapter.

Steve you should try shooting the gun without any shrouds on it, sight in the scope and then see which shroud changes the POI, you can not sight in a scope for one shroud and then say a different shroud moves the POI, it is always possible that the original shroud is moving the POI . Most of my customers report no change in the POI, but every gun is different and it is always possible, as long as the change is minimal and the grouping is tight then they are both doing their job, Neil.

It's funny you should say that Neil. As I did this twice before reporting that, which is why I asked him to try too. Just to see if anything at all took place. My original shroud keep it at the original zero. But when I added your shroud to my original then the POI shifted to the shooters left or 9 o'clock. About 1/2" but the groups where the same. I find it interesting to say the least. I love doing these tests of general craftsmanship. However, I don't always report back as I should. Best, Steve.

That is unusual for my units as they very rarely change the POI, I know this because I test every unit I can on my own guns before shipping. I can't test the ones where I don't have the right gun but based on those I have tested the POI very rarely moves from the gun sighted in with nothing on the barrel. It has nothing to do with craftsmanship, a lot of it might be to do with how the turbulence effects different pellets. You might find a different pellet will have a different POI.I use JSB pellets in my own guns so I can only attest to how they operate using them in my guns, it is quite possible as can be seen from different pellet tests that the POI can change just by using a different pellet. Other than testing units before I ship them I just do not have the time to do exhaustive testing with all kinds of different pellets and weights, Neil.

"Michael"The LDC/shroud on the Royale/Boss platform is the same (except for the length). To remove the shroud you must heat the area where the cylindrical shroud tube meets the cone adapter to the barrel. Once the glue is heated you can simply twist off the shroud. Then you will find a small grub screw underneath the cone to barrel adapter. Simply loosen and then remove the adapter.
Michael, I tried this as you described and was able to remove the shroud. Then I loosened the grub screw but the cone-shaped adapter would not budge. I even tried heating that as well. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Paul

In my experience with this one, because it's the only one I own. It changes the POI. BUT JUST TO BE CLEAR!!!! I'am NOT saying that Neil makes bad LCD's......NOT at all. I just found it interesting. Because of the way my build is. I have to either decide to keep it on the gun or not. It sorta makes my decision about wanting to use it difficult at times. I basically don't have the freedom to decide to use it or not. If the option comes out in the field. I won't have time to re sight my gun in. AGAIN, IAM NOT SAYING ITS HIS FAULT...HE BUILT ME WHAT I WANTED. And I'm happy with his work. And will use him again. I just find it interesting that mine is the only one that has had a change in POI, that's all. Best guys, Steve

Steve nobody said yours was the only one that had a change of POI, what I said is generally speaking my design does not change the POI and the ones I have been able to test on my own guns have not changed the POI. I do not have every gun to test them on and I am sure that some customers may experience a small change in POI, but as a rule I have been told by the majority of my customers that their POI has not altered. You have to bear in mind I do not own a CNC machine and have to drill all of my holes by hand and sight, so there is going to be slight variations in the hole spacing and pattern. Without doing exhaustive tests I have no idea if this would alter the POI. I just do not have the time or money to do the testing this would require. Making statements like you find it interesting that you have the only one sounds like you are challenging what I have said. For the record I have NOT said that they never change the POI, in my experiences at home on my guns they have not, and the bulk of reports from my customers also say theirs has not changed. But no maker can guarantee that a shroud or LDC will not change the POI, if they did they would be getting a lot more complaints from customers than they already are. Please read my earlier response again, I said they very rarely change the POI, I did not say that yours was the ONLY one, Neil.

Something you failed to mention is that I did not make you a shroud, I added a threaded end piece to your factory shroud and then made 2 LDC's for you to go with your factory shroud. My internals are designed to work with my own shrouds and there is every possibility that the LDC's are not working the same with the factory shroud as they would with one of my own. Had I known this from the start without having to find your order it might have made more sense. It is not a factory shroud versus my shroud, it is a mixture of both of them.