Neighbor kid claims his new Gamo Whisper Fusion Elite does 1050fps.

The Neighbor kid claims his new Gamo Whisper Fusion Elite does 1050fps. He's a really good kid, but I think he's getting bad info or marketing hype. I told him to bring it over and we'd put it over the chrony.

For reference, my megabuck tuned HW98 isn't even pushing 700fps. It's really inaccurate and pellet picky. Found that the polymags are about the best, but still, not great.

Is there anyway he's right and this two hundred buck springer is outperforming my $$$ HW?

****edit, it's a .22

I can shoot cleaning pellets at 1000fps thru my 1322pcp with 7.6" barrel. 

Speed doesn't mean anything. I can and have dropped a squirrel cold on the spot with a 14.3gr pellet doing 500fps. Not a twitch. 

My 22 fx crown shoots 30gr slugs at 988fps. But they don't group well. The 36gr ones are basically hole in hole at 100yrd @880fps.

Speed is just one figure. If you can't couple energy transfer and accuracy with it, it's useless

Your neighbor might be getting 1000 with those weird superlight alloy pellets. But I guarantee he can't hit anything with them. I'd take my hw50s 22 (12fpe) over his gamo any and every day

I agree. My .30 Impact is super accurate out past 75yds. 1 shot bulls if I'm doing my part flinging a 65gr slug.

Contrariwise, my tuned megabuck HW98 might as well be a shotgun at 50yds. It's all over the place. Yes, I know about artillery hold, but even with the other guys in our club who are springer shooters it's all over.

We are going to put this gamo thru it's paces soon, I'm just wondering what to expect.

Careful how hard you step on his dreams. Help him get the best out of his gun, no matter what the numbers say. Help him understand that air guns are more about precision that power.

I would never step on his dreams. We'll throw it on the chrony and then shoot it at some traps. Apparently it's got a nice adjustable trigger so we'll discuss that too.

Kid just came over.

His Gamo on a 14.66gr 5.5 is at 720-730fps.

My megabuck on the same gr is 650fps.

Clearly I'm disappointed and he's thrilled. 

He paid $110 for his as an open box from gamo. The safety works better too IMHO. The auto reset safety on the HW98 is so annoying we took it out.

I will tell you my experience with my Whisper Mach 1 that is rated for 1040 fps with pba pellets. CPHP 14.3 gr avg 823 fps. 5,53 dia H and N FTT dropped to 760 fps. JMO but the H and N 5,5mm head would probably shoot even slower simply because of the larger head and hard lead. I now shoot jsb 14.35 gr at about 825fps. They are advertised at 5.52 mm head size but I havent found any that large yet. Most 5,48 to 5.5 mm or slightly smaller than the Crosman but much more round and more accurate. The other problem I had with the H and N 5.53 head was they fouled the barrel more quickly and it took a brush to get clean. With the jsb pellets I simply pull a dry patch through every 2 to 300 pellets and all is well. I just found it odd that I lost so much velocity and only half a grain increase in weight. The FTT pellets actually weighed more like 14.8 grains. JMO but if you run those tests again with a smaller dia. pellet but approximately the same weight you may be surprised.