Needed a project...Hmm..Let's build a new pellet backstop?

Hi All,

I'm probably as bored as a lot of other folks with all this Covid "stay at home" stuff. So...I decided to build a bigger, better shooting backstop.

I only shoot 10 meter pistols at my backstop so it may not be rugged enough for a more robust gun but it works for me.

1" of duct seal putty backed up by 2 pieces of 1/2" plywood and a block wall behind that. 

Way overkill for a 10 meter gun. The wadcutter pellets don't even fully embed themselves in the duct seal. Easy to pick them out if you want.

Please don't laugh at my carpentry or painting skills (unless it's in fun😁). It's good enough for me!

New pellet backstop front.1605925421.jpg
New pellet backstop side.1605925421.jpg

Well, not really.

Once she got used to the sound of cocking the gun I guess it's no big deal to her anymore.

I have a Donny FL I use on the IZH 46M's I have when backyard shooting so the sound of cocking the gun makes more noise than anything else.

Plus, if you take a piece of white sweatshirt material and drape it over the duct seal it greatly reduces the "thwap" that wadcutters make. She doesn't even flinch.

BTW: She likes to be referred to as my "Coach" 😸

Little helper.1605927637.jpg

Very nicely done. I may give a try at some sort of pellet trap this winter. But I fortunately don't need to worry about the noise level of an airgun in my neighborhood.

Quite a bunch of hardware on that Izzy. I don't guess you shoot it one handed for Olympic style ten meter. That has to weigh a bunch. I have a red dot on mine but haven't shot it one handed since I added the red dot. But I can't imagine why you need a moderator on an Izzy. They don't make more than a spit of a sound without one.

At any rate, nice work on the backstop.

Thanks again all for the positive comments!

Bill_in_TR:

Yes, the Izzy is very quiet. Agreed - in "normal" circumstances there would be no need for a moderator.

However, since I have 2 neighbors actively working in the legal profession and the other neighbor is a Sheriff, I am doing everything l can think of NOT to attract ANY attention from them. All very nice people but I don't want to test the waters. Hence the moderator. I doubt any attention I got from them would end up as a win for me in the end.

Yeah, the UTG Scout scope and adapters make the setup a little heavy, but it's a work in progress. Scope has great eye relief for me and using 2X magnification I can actually see what I'm shooting at! I usually shoot using a 2 hand / standing hold. From a rest or a bag it's pellet-on-pellet accurate. I'm just too wobbly to do it with any kind of standing hold at my age. Tried a very nice AT3 Tactical 2 moa red dot but had trailers off of the dot (astigmatism) otherwise, yes, that was a much simpler, lighter setup.

landshark:

My cat is somewhat of a senior citizen and usually doesn't move a lot faster than I do. 👴

Although the pic. shows her checking out the new target, I am always, always, sure to make sure "Coach" is out of the target area before any shooting takes place.👍

SAZ,

I can understand your reason for being super cautious. You have my sympathy. I am very fortunate that I don't have to concern myself with that particular problem. I have shot a .44 magnum in my back yard. I don't do it on any regular basis but no complaints from any neighbors. I do make sure that I am considerate. But none of my airguns are even noticed.

Scouty:

That's what I'm hoping....my thinking is that if I shoot the bottom row first they'll fall down and then I can shoot the upper row.

think if I shoot the top row first they might fall and knock over the ones on the bottom row.

I don't know, I haven't shot at this new pellet backstop yet. I'll have to let everyone know.

Stay tuned. I'm thinking probably Monday I'll get to take some shots at it.