need TOUGH scope for Beeman Kodiak Magnum springer

I can strongly recommend any bush 4200 or 3200 series but they are priced high on the used market. 8mos back I bought a very cheap Tasco 2-7X32 AO (abt 65 bucks) and it worked so well I bought another. So far have used them on HW90, Hatsan 135 (!) and various gamos. They have a plain reticle but otherwise look identical to the Wulf and Hawk Vantage. AO is good to well under 10m. Optically they seem identical to Vantage and Wulf.

A poorly tuned big gun will eat any scope.. a properly tuned big gun will not with the right scopes. Factory Kodiaks/Patriot are HORRID .. IVE HAD OVER 30 Of them. Everyone has a Loose un choked barrel in .25. In .22 they are a tad better but over sprung and under sealed. they benefit from a solid bit of internal work and reshaping.

That being said , get a cheap center point or Leapers for now. No bigger than 3x9x40 …It’s not if, it’s when with untreated Kodiak/Patriot.

I am running into the same problem with my Benjamin Trail NP XL .17. Has been eating the UTG scopes, on 3rd. Will try a Sightmark Wraith 4-32 x 50 Digital Scope. On sale now for under $400. Recoil rated to a .308, hope that works.

firearm recoil and spring/gas gun recoil is different. There is no way I'd put a digital scope on a springer.

Reactions: DesertSilver
There are tons of articles and reading just a Google search away. In short, spring piston and gas ram airguns have a 'dual recoil' of sorts, that can play hell on scopes that are not designed for it. I've never heard of anyone chancing a digital scope on a spring gun. Before I'd do it, I'd certainly contact the manufacturer and see if they will warranty it if put on one.

Here are a couple quick reads

Please explain.
Like Rob mentioned, Warranty is an important factor when considering glass for a Springer. The double recoil on a Springer can and will destroy optics that are even rated for 50 BMG. I have 2 of the "better" UTG scopes (Lol) sitting on my bench that are wasted thanx to magnum springers. Those were bought many many years ago when I was rather stupid & ignorant. Now I am the type of person who belives you should spend as much money if not more on good glass as the weapon your putting it on. There are many manufactures who have unconditional, no questions asked, lifetime warranties. Those are the ones I would stick with. Cyclopes Joe, is an avid air rifle shooter who is also a member here. Has a great YT channel who reveiws scopes, many for air rifles. He's a great guy whom you can ask direct advice from if needed.

Last edited:
firearm recoil and spring/gas gun recoil is different. There is no way I'd put a digital scope on a springer.
I could be wrong but isn't there less moving parts on a digital scope compared to a "regular/erector tube" scope? Additionally, a digital scope is not dependent on mechanical means to hold zero

Again, I could be wrong but most electronics today are designed pretty robustly to absorb impacts (laptops and cellphones, granted not at the double recoiling G forces that springers generate...again and again and again). The only weak points I could see would be soldered connections.

Again just my opinion but given these design parameters, one could reason that in general, a digital scope might be more suitable for a recoiling springer.

I agree, check with the digital scope manufacturer.
and
Maybe we can get one of the digital scope user and/or designer to weight in on this issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hannigan
I could be wrong but isn't there less moving parts on a digital scope compared to a "regular/erector tube" scope? Additionally, a digital scope is not dependent on mechanical means to hold zero

Again, I could be wrong but most electronics today are designed pretty robustly to absorb impacts (laptops and cellphones, granted not at the G forces that springers generate). The only weak points I could see would be soldered connections.

Again just my opinion but given these design parameters, one could reason that in general, a digital scope might be more suitable for a recoiling springer.

I agree, check with the digital scope manufacturer.
and
Maybe we can get one of the digital scope user and/or designer to weight in on this issue.
You very well could be right. I just personally have never heard of anyone using one on a springer and I'm not willing to be the test pilot...haha