• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Need to learn how to work on PCPs

I have to many PCPs The problem is I have the brands that do not normally need work, But after 10 or fifteen years ) rings go bad,
I bought a Mutant with a slow leak , I thought it would be an easy fix, I could not find any forms showing how to disassemble the gun .
Seems like we need a site where each gun is listed and shows how to repair it. I sent the gun off for repair , A day latter my 15 year old Cricket started leaking , I am now looking for (How tos on the Cricket) I got another Mutant I have shot the snot out of it still holding air, I have a Veteran 25 bought when they 1st came out still holding air, I got seven other PCPs , I did put a Oring in my RTI Prophet , But that gun is so simple a monkey can work on it, LOL.
WHERE IS ALL THE BOOKS AND HOW TO POST?
Mike

Your cell phone is your best friend when working on airguns (or anything for that matter), just take pics of the assembly before removing screws, place your screws in a magnetic tray in order of removal.

The rest is a matter of careful attention to what you are doing.

Good luck with your projects!

Your cell phone is your best friend when working on airguns (or anything for that matter), just take pics of the assembly before removing screws, place your screws in a magnetic tray in order of removal.

The rest is a matter of careful attention to what you are doing.

Good luck with your projects!
Don’t forget the right and quality tools. The used airgun market is full of chewed up hacked guns because guys don’t have the right tools.

Information is good to have in front of you before you even start, Lots of little thinks you dont know and when you find out its to late, Like the little ball on the grip on a XXX, If you dont know its there its gone, You don't even know you lost it until the grip will not go back together. To just blindly start taking something apart is asking for trouble for me,,
Mike

Don’t forget the right and quality tools. The used airgun market is full of chewed up hacked guns because guys don’t have the right tools.
One of those guys might be me.

Needing super specialized tools to remove screws from a Gamo Urban so I can change o'rings.
That Gamo Urban was on classifieds as of one hour ago.
No more Gamo or BSA for me.
Sorry, but if Gamo or BSA decides to make screws that hard to remove I will not buy anything ever from them.

Degassing is half the battle. I drop this grub screw in the power adjuster to do my Mutant.

DSCN0045.JPG

Reactions: airgunmike56
Information is good to have in front of you before you even start, Lots of little thinks you dont know and when you find out its to late, Like the little ball on the grip on a XXX, If you dont know its there its gone, You don't even know you lost it until the grip will not go back together. To just blindly start taking something apart is asking for trouble for me,,
Mike
This! There are enough differences between brands that if you don't know what to expect going into a disassembly, you could be in for a nasty surprise that don't even know hit you - small springs that fly out that you never knew existed and the like . . . .

Reactions: DesertSilver
Certain things go hand in hand with all PCP’s, and as your experience gets better you start remembering to check these and it all makes sense, like-
1. Air passages/transfer ports must align
2. Check valves will always have a spring
3. Ball detent adjustment knobs/dials involve a ball and spring
4. Beware of stacking of pieces, in other words if a screw to remove a part isn’t visible like you think it should be, it’s there, you just need to remove other pieces to find it underneath
5. Measure everything for reference points before disassembly
6. Have all replacement parts and consumables on hand before starting
7. Most anything that goes in only one way will have some form of index tab
8. Pieces of leather, rubber matting, masking tape, electrical tape all these things can help to keep you from marring up parts with tools- take a moment to protect anodized parts
9. You’ll be surprised at what a socket set can help with besides its job of removing fasteners- for sanding off round hard to access parts you can tape sandpaper to a socket(like the inside of a round hammer, in polishing)
10. A silver sharpie on black anodizing is a great tool in labeling parts as you remove them, and which direction they go back in

Or the guys that owned them were complete IDIOTS and didn't read the D*mn instructions, like "DO NOT FIRE THE GUN with the cocking hammer back, it will destroy the gun". Hint, it will destroy the hammer and crack/break the internal aluminum. Extra bonus hint, don't do it over and over and over, did I mention COMPLETE IDIOT?

Reactions: Gerry52
This! There are enough differences between brands that if you don't know what to expect going into a disassembly, you could be in for a nasty surprise that don't even know hit you - small springs that fly out that you never knew existed and the like . . . .
My Sumatra was just that sort of PCP. Mainly in getting the barrel aligned with the transfer port.

Last edited:
Thanks guys , But back to square one , If I do not have a video a book or something showing me how to repair , I am not going in blind and taking things apart, I know my limits ,
I maybe asking for help on the Cricket , I am going over a few videos now,,,
Mike
Does your cricket have a safety? I just ordered some tube o rings didn’t have any 24x3mm. Did have some lelya 2.0 25x3mm that seem to be working at this time.