Need some help tracking squirrels

Hey guys like the title said I need some advice on tracking squirrels. this past summer my wife and I bought a new home on 5 Acres and they where everywhere, but now that I have time to go after them they're nowhere in site. The guns I'm working with are benjamin varmint np and a gamo accu both in .22 so no long shots. Any advice would be appreciated.
Justin

I find that they come in cycles. There will be weeks where they are like a plague and then they seem to all but disappear. They usually go where the food and safety is though. 

I leave peanut butter to attract them if there is nothing to shoot. 

The other thing to note is that just because you can't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. They are great at hiding especially if they see you first. I find the best way to hunt for them is to sit still and quiet near a spot where I know they hang out (like near trees with acorns and other things they eat). 

If you sit still and out of sight, you will most likely see some eventually. They can see you from a fairly a long way out. If none come, they might have spotted you and got spooked. Also, shower just before you go out to hunt and don't wear anything strong smelling. 

If you want to find out if any are there, fire a shot to land near some bushes. When they aren't looking for food during the day or chasing woman squirrels, they often just sit quietly on branches inside bushes or on tree limbs. If you shoot near them, any that are there will usually try to scatter or run to the next tree. Just avoid shooting into the bushes if you can't see what you might hit. A loud noise will work just as well. 

Other than that, use your scope to look up into the trees. They camouflage fairly well so you have to look carefully but you'll see them through your scope.

In the Fall when the nuts drop they will hit favorite trees. You will also have days that there are none and days that you see 100. It's almost all or nothing. It's similar with deer. Barometric pressure, temperature etc probably play a role. As in deer hunting watch for changes like before fronts an cold snaps. I've hunted the same stand of oaks days apart and have had zero and 50. 

Squirrels can be curious. I've had limited success using a recording of a squirrel mating call on my IPad. With calls, I guess it probably depends on how good they are and the time of year. They only seem to be up for mating at certain times of the year. Some species only have one mating period per year (they're like married people). 

Every animal has to eat regularly though. They also tend to come back to places they know to have easy access to food and water? 

It's called, "The law of diminishing returns". This law states that in all productive processes, adding more of one factor of production, (pellets) while holding all others constant, (squirrels) will at some point yield lower incremental per-unit returns. 😊Just trying to add a little humor but it's true. Sometimes you get ahead of the curve. Someone did a follow up to your post about a squirrel call. Never heard or seen one but I would like to try it. Enjoy. Chuck

Try IHunt both Android and iPhone basic program is free
has some good squirrel calls.
Dawn is the best time to see movement dusk they will be gathering what they have knocked off the tree.
Use the barking call first it is a territory challenge.
You will do best if you use bino' s and look for movement then stalk in
Sit down close to a tree and let them settle down

I hunt tree rats in the morning and if there has been a bright moon forget seeing anything before 10 or 11 am. Learn to identify favorite food trees like Hickory and when the nuts will be ripe. Learn the habits of the type of rat you are hunting. I live in the deep south and we have large red squirrels we call fox sq. and smaller grey sq we call cat sq. Fox tend to be less curious and will hide when they see you. Cat are hyper active, very curious and runners when they see you. 

Willie, I checked out the app looks good I'll give it a shot and see if it's better then the one I have been using.
Dan, not sure what their eating I'm up on the west side of Washington, and all I have is Doug fir, maple, and cotton wood. There are some other flowering trees but no nut. We do have fox squirrels, greys, and some black ones that people call Canadian squirrels.

One mid day trick to find those tree rats is the "slinky". It's very effective but takes two hunters. Basically you each take turns standing and scanning the overhead trees while the other hunter moves by you. When done correctly it sounds like one person moving through the woods because only one of you moves at a time. The person standing will see the squirrel move to the opposite side of the tree as the other hunter walks by. Then the stander can pick a safe shot and dispatch the squirrel.