Need recommendations for light weight 22 cal slugs....

With my 22 cal 510 mm CZ barrel coming soon for Glimmer (RTI Prophet Performance Compact and yes a 510 mm barrel will work fit in the existing shroud of the compact) I want to get some .22 cal slugs, but on the lighter weight side. The benchmark FPE I want the slugs to be effective and stable in is the 19 to 23 FPE range.

Part 1 of the reason is I want a light weight slug is generally you get a lower FPE, which is important to me. I want to try some longer range shots (past a 80-100 yards) at my permissions, but I CAN'T go power crazy one for safety of people, animals, and property. The owner gives me free reign of his properties and that is because he trusts me, if I start punching holes through thing then that goes away. Yet, the wind tends to play havoc with the pellets, though I am doing pretty well 50 and under yards using them in 177, yet I want to push past 75 yards in both wind and further in light wind days, there is almost always a breeze in Idaho.

Part 2 I there is a 22 cal project coming up I and some others are part of and I want to use some existing 22 cal slugs on the market to use for comparison. I have some 21 grain HN slugs, .217 OD, and I will get some .218 ODs for comparison. My thought process is using 21 grain as high end, and so far other than the HN 21 grain slugs, I only see two other options in 22 cal which are from NSA, 17.5 and 20.2 grains.

Does anyone have experience with the .22 cal NSA slugs in 17.5 and 20.2 grains? OR can recommend some other options?

Yes, I know I might be asking for a bit much now, but who knows I might get lucky.

Lastly, to predict and / or gauge the future you have to benchmark it with the now.

Another vote for NSA 17.5 grain, my crown shot the 20 grain very well too and easily hit a walnut at 100 yards. Not sure about CZ barrel with NSA though but at least you got couple of them to try. depending on what exactly you want to achieve it might be good to shoot heavier but higher BC slugs at same FPE, higher BC slugs will hold up in the wind better when at lower speed. More arch means it might not fly as far depending into be angel.

But if you worry about collateral damage then shooting slugs really isn’t a great idea. 18 grain JSB does quite well at 100 yards and even the lowly CPHP isn’t that bad besides a bit more wind drift to adjust for. 

I was shooting the 20.2 NSA slugs in .217 yesterday, out of my Priest 2 CZ barrel. These show promise and I have the 17.5’s in .2165 and .217 coming next week to try. I’m new to slugs, and more testing is required, but with constantly changing winds in the little valley I’m in, this may be worth the effort. Next time I pull the barrel, I’ll slug it, and at least polish the lead-in, as I know that it is very tight, and pulls lead back from the lands. 

Are you sure your not just looking for another way to blow money? Or just bored with killing stuff with pellets? The reason I ask is because I just don’t see a major difference out to 100yrds when I shoot pellets or slugs. Wind just doesn’t like airguns. Last night I was shooting two of my guns. The wind was in the 3-5mph range coming from the left. First gun was my Dreamtac Compact shooting 18’s 890fps. Second gun was FX M4 Compact shooting 22gr slugs 888fps. The difference in drift at 100yrds was about an inch. Just letting you know that slugs aren’t little lead miracles.

Are you sure your not just looking for another way to blow money? Or just bored with killing stuff with pellets? The reason I ask is because I just don’t see a major difference out to 100yrds when I shoot pellets or slugs. Wind just doesn’t like airguns. Last night I was shooting two of my guns. The wind was in the 3-5mph range coming from the left. First gun was my Dreamtac Compact shooting 18’s 890fps. Second gun was FX M4 Compact shooting 22gr slugs 888fps. The difference in drift at 100yrds was about an inch. Just letting you know that slugs aren’t little lead miracles.

To be fair that 1 inch increase in wind drift is very significant depending how you look at it. The slug usually has doubly the BC and higher and with that at 100 yards the drift is 1 inch or 2 inch group size in switching winds and pellets will have 2 inch drift or 4 inch group size in swirling winds which is quite difficult to adjust for. On top of that the vertical divination on projectiles is even worse from headwind or tailwind because that’s actually higher than the 90 degree wind drift. So in worse case scenario the max group size group difference is quit big, 2 inch L+R and 3 inch U+D vs 4 inch L+R and 5-6inch U+D comparing slugs and pellets respectively. I’ve tested/validated this extensively, this is why I try to shoot slugs with highest BC possible because the effect of environmental on projectiles down range increases exponentially….pass 100 yards. 

BUT to your main point I do agree that for 80 yards and closer and with potential collateral damage or if there is any sort of safety concerns pellets are the only way to go. I was also trying to allude to that but you were more direct. LOL

The other balancing act that I didn’t mention is consistency. If your pellet shooter will print under let’s say 1.5” all day every day all week but your slug gun has bad days or flyers, one gun will definitely be easier to make wind and elevation adjustments for. I have a TJ barrel on a gun that I built for slugs. It shoots them pretty good. One day I tried pellets at 100yrds just for fun. That gun will never see a slug again. Making adjustments for wind or elevation when your gun prints centerfire groups at 100 with pellets is easy. The fact that the OP is going for a lower power tune with slugs might be a good thing for consistency. With a Taipan, highly modded P15, RTI with FX barrel and TJ, and Impacts M2 and M3, I found some silly accurate consistent slug tunes from 750-890fps. 

Thanks guys, for now maybe it is a bit of a pipe dream, but I am sure I will have better down range results with the 22 barrel kit in the wind. Though I do want to try a go with slugs, as I contemplate this and interview prep to this sunset. My sister’s house has a great view.

B4D6E071-240C-460C-9C5F-FB80ACDAB488.1642293076.jpeg

Reactions: kainevil
Not sure what it is going to take to break the myth that slugs penetrate more than pellets. People see them as big scary bullets but in reality a 17.5gr slug penetrates way less and causes way less collateral damage than an 18.13 jsb. Those round nose pellets go right through critters and keep right on going nearly unharmed. Its way safer to shoot an expanding bullet than it is a round nose pellet if you are worried about over-penetration. 

Anyone who says there is no difference between slugs and pellets on birds/critters either has no experience, is shooting something way overkill to begin with (ie 30 cal for starlings), or is justifying their choice to not shoot slugs. They do way more damage, are way more ethical, and are way easier to shoot longer range than pellets. 1" less wind drift at 100yds is correct, for a 10mph side wind comparing nsa 17.5 vs jsb 18.13, but that is 20% less. Over 5" drift for jsb and 4" for NSA, that is pretty huge. 

I shoot both and can watch a pellet go right through a starling and watch it fly about 50yds before it falls dead in the air. It happens pretty frequently if you shoot a lot of birds at long range, thats called missing the target vitals by 1/2". With a 17.5 NSA it rips the lower half of the starling into hamburger with the same shot. 

The other balancing act that I didn’t mention is consistency. If your pellet shooter will print under let’s say 1.5” all day every day all week but your slug gun has bad days or flyers, one gun will definitely be easier to make wind and elevation adjustments for. I have a TJ barrel on a gun that I built for slugs. It shoots them pretty good. One day I tried pellets at 100yrds just for fun. That gun will never see a slug again. Making adjustments for wind or elevation when your gun prints centerfire groups at 100 with pellets is easy. The fact that the OP is going for a lower power tune with slugs might be a good thing for consistency. With a Taipan, highly modded P15, RTI with FX barrel and TJ, and Impacts M2 and M3, I found some silly accurate consistent slug tunes from 750-890fps.
How does the accuracy in that TJ barrel compare to all the others mentioned and what caliber is it?

I don’t know what part of Idaho you are in and yeah a dead calm day is rare as ice water in hell here.
I would spend the ridiculous price for some FX Hybrids. I tried some in my 25 compact and while people say they need to be shot fast I was able to get pretty good results at 900 fps. They also expanded reliably. I abandoned the project of getting my compact to shoot slugs and just went back to pellets with that gun.
If you are in the Boise area, I would suggest talking to the folks at Idaho Air Guns in Nampa. A couple guys that frequent the shop have told me they are having good luck with a locally made 17.5 slug in their short barreled (500mm) guns. May be worth a conversation.

Reactions: Dairyboy