• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Need rear sight for Daisy 717

the o-rings can just be Buna 90
if it was CO2 urethane should be used
http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/daisy-717-repair-part-2.html
now the new valve stem might not work in the old valves and seeing that the new ones are not available and you might not be able to mix and match you run in to problems
as that post notes he did everything to make what he had work and everything failed and if he can't do it we can't either, the why is he is a magician
one other thing the old wipers were made out of felt so if you don't not have a foam one which i think are fragile at best you can make a felt one

fixing air guns is never a rush project for me, take it apart clean it up make a plan and then do it or wait till the next day you have to n=know what you might need and because shipping sucks buy once and you seem to be like me, if i need 1 I buy 4
if i need 1 o-ring i buy a bag of 20 or 50 some times the same price
and one last thing i have been using Ultramox 226 on the bolt and what a difference it makes and yes that white grease is very expensive but it is needed to rebuild Diana model 5-6-10's in my opinion
the o-rings can just be Buna 90
if it was CO2 urethane should be used
http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/daisy-717-repair-part-2.html
now the new valve stem might not work in the old valves and seeing that the new ones are not available and you might not be able to mix and match you run in to problems
as that post notes he did everything to make what he had work and everything failed and if he can't do it we can't either, the why is he is a magician
one other thing the old wipers were made out of felt so if you don't not have a foam one which i think are fragile at best you can make a felt one

fixing air guns is never a rush project for me, take it apart clean it up make a plan and then do it or wait till the next day you have to n=know what you might need and because shipping sucks buy once and you seem to be like me, if i need 1 I buy 4
if i need 1 o-ring i buy a bag of 20 or 50 some times the same price
and one last thing i have been using Ultramox 226 on the bolt and what a difference it makes and yes that white grease is very expensive but it is needed to rebuild Diana model 5-6-10's in my opinion
Ok gents, I hope both Mike and Bill can see this reply. Cleared the workspace this morning and got started. I followed the steps in the Another Airgun Blog that Mike sent me. It was pretty straight forward. Rear sight came out in pieces with plastic all over the bench. All pieces in small container. Grips came off ok with a bit of rust on the heads. Pieces saved. Next took out the three screws And the Right plate came off fine. As I went to turn the gun over, the grip separated in my hand and was laid to the side. When the left cover came off, a small square bolt fell on the workbench and I have no idea where it came from. Got the bolt out after a small struggle - looks like replacing the o ring could be challenging. Next pulled exhaust valve housing and barrel free. Exhaust valve looks ok but I can’t see inside. At present, I don’t intend to pull it out. Seal in one piece but looks flattened as I expected it would. Next tackled the cocking lever and got the pump head out. The felt wiper was in pieces and fell apart. The o ring was in one piece but pretty flattened. I suspect the squished o rings caused the no compression problem and can only hope the exhaust valve is ok. Thanks to both of you for the helpful hints and guidance. Still haven’t received new valves from Daisy but valve in JG kit looks like the new design. Oh, where do I get Ultramox 226? I googled and could not find. Cheers - Dave B

Reactions: .20calguy
this is a pay it forward move . I have a complete rear sight . PM your address and it is yours .

Floridaairgunner

That's great. I was trying to get a couple to rebuild for my son and grandson and tried getting one off ebay last year. I ordered one and it came in with a broken rear sight, not as pictured, so contested it and made the seller take it back, and found another. I was going to say look for one with a good sight that is being sold for parts.
It has been a long time but I got on a pay it forward a screw for a 1869 Swiss Vetterli rifle, from overseas. Nothing recently but I have sent out a couple of extra small parts over the years on pay it forwards.

Thanks Mike. I’m talking to Bill now and hopefully will get some more info soon. Daisy says they are out of 717 rear sights. Hopefully the deal with Bill will work out - keeping my fingers crossed. I have three sets of grips from Vernon including a walnut set for my 747 that I’m going to install next week - they need a few tweaks on the top pins to fit well. I bought the 717 well used so that I could practice a reseal before I took my 747 apart. I’m not super mechanically inclined and have a Crosman 2250 in pieces on my work bench. BTW, I have a new in box 777 sitting in my closet as well as a nice 777 I just bought that was resealed but not by me. Nice pistol!

Cheers - Dave B
Will the 777 sights fit the 747?
The 747's are plastic. I've never even seen a 777 yet.

i do not know if the clam shells are the same dimensions as the 747 i have nothing to compare them to but the front sight is different much taller on the 777 i do have one of them
so without the front sight the rear would not work
I honestly have not compared the internal dimensions. but seals and valves are interchangeable on all the guns. The 747 and 777 have Walther Lothar barrels and an adjustable trigger. The 777 goes a bit further and has a fantastic rear sight, all steel with an infinitely adjustable width notch, a milled steel cocking lever and the wood target grips. I just pulled my 777 and 747 out and the 777 definetly has a much taller front sight

if you could make a filler for the spot the 717-747 sights go and then select a sight that would work you would be business but the cost would break the bank
the rear sights i last bought were 16 buck or there about and then you have is it too tall
i have had many hours thinking about the rear sight but only have ideas that a CNC machine and or a Mill would make and that doesn't count for the sight
Bomar would be good
it is a can of worms and the bottom line is it was absurd to stop making the pistols and with them the 853

if you could make a filler for the spot the 717-747 sights go and then select a sight that would work you would be business but the cost would break the bank
the rear sights i last bought were 16 buck or there about and then you have is it too tall
i have had many hours thinking about the rear sight but only have ideas that a CNC machine and or a Mill would make and that doesn't count for the sight
Bomar would be good
it is a can of worms and the bottom line is it was absurd to stop making the pistols and with them the 853
It could be 3d printed. I have a 717 that still functions, I'd do some serious harm for a printed adapter so I could mount a red dot.

yes, the filler piece could be made and i guess it could be extended over the clam shells
the easiest way the mount a red dot was to use a IZH 46M mount and i know they are all gone but Sun Optics is bring them back, the when part is unknown

the message i got back from them a couple weeks ago

Thank you for reaching out to us. We are still manufacturer please see link below:
https://www.sunopticsusa.com/airgun-scope-mounts-izh-46-mount-sm7900/
I will have this item in my inventory soon.

• Love
Reactions: HogKiller