• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Need opinions for my next PCP (long winded)

Single loading in complete darkness is a pain in the a-hole. I've done it once with a leshiy classic and will never do it again (phone tried to change leshiy to lesbian 😆). You may have to take a follow up shot or make a second attempt if you mess so a mag is needed.
I think you are on the right track using a .25 but I'm sure someone will suggest using a spear or knife because so-and-so hunts this way. One thing that will help you is shooting some projectile as flate as possible with out affecting good accuracy. Coyotes come real close at night so you could get away with pushing a pellet a little bit faster. Guessing you hold over using thermal real hard to do.
I have a .22 maverick that's tuned for slugs. I think it's set around 45 ft-lbs and I wouldn't hesitate using it on a coyote.

I bought my Talon P specifically for dealing raccoons in the chicken pen at night.
I do not have a thermal optic. Just a rail mounted light that is placed for easy on off, and originally a 4x scope. (The picture below shows it with a Vector optics 4-16 for target work). The light illuminates the targets in the range most likely to be needed for night time intruders from my garage door to the chicken pen.
Loading at night is not a big deal. The breach has plenty of space to get your fingers in and I can load it with my eyes shut. Definitely not as quick and easy as a magazine fed PCP, but with a pellet holder to grab the next shot from it is not a problem. Definitely not as quick and easy as a magazine fed gun though.

I also added a Mad Dog Stock and replaced the 210cc bottle with a 330 CC so my shot count is considerably higher than original.

I chose the TalonP because it is compact, light and quite powerful. I didn't count on it been so much fun to shoot and that led to me making it not quite as compact and light in the end, but it is still more than adequate for protection my birds.

BTW. the dovetail rail was a concern for me too, but I just got a picatiny adapter and got it exactly where I needed, tightened the screws and done! It does have the advantage of infinite adjustability instead of notch 1, 2, 3 etc.
View attachment 343932

I actually own an AF Condor in a Mad Dog stock in .25 as well...I just forgot to add it to my list of PCPs that I own. I thought single loading in winter with gloves on could be an issue. I'm sure that I would get use to single loading the TalonP in the dark. I also believe that I too have the Talon Tunes moderator...is it about 9" long and screwed on with a grub screw?

ETA: I also would say a smaller tank on the TalonP is something I just thought about. I have been looking at the Brocock Bantam Sniper HR....the idea of a larger tank is appealing to me. I heard that you can get roughly 80 shots on a fill.

RTI Prophet is stupid accurate, extremely easy to tune, simplistic but rugged, fantastic trigger and not overly heavy. 7 O-rings though I doubt you’d ever need to worry about replacing any. You can sometimes find used ones in the 1K range.

I’m an owner and fan of Taipan Vets too but they can be heavy to lug around if you plan to do much stalking?

I’m also a fan of .22’s and that caliber will easily take down any game on your list with accurate shot placement.

RTI Prophet is stupid accurate, extremely easy to tune, simplistic but rugged, fantastic trigger and not overly heavy. 7 O-rings though I doubt you’d ever need to worry about replacing any. You can sometimes find used ones in the 1K range.

I’m an owner and fan of Taipan Vets too but they can be heavy to lug around if you plan to do much stalking?

I’m also a fan of .22’s and that caliber will easily take down any game on your list with accurate shot placement.

Are the RTIs on the top tier of PCP manufacturers? I've seen some used Prophets for what seems to be a reasonable price.
The Taipans look heavy...never handling one, I'm just making an educated guess.

I actually own an AF Condor in a Mad Dog stock in .25 as well...I just forgot to add it to my list of PCPs that I own. I thought single loading in winter with gloves on could be an issue. I'm sure that I would get use to single loading the TalonP in the dark. I also believe that I too have the Talon Tunes moderator...is it about 9" long and screwed on with a grub screw?

ETA: I also would say a smaller tank on the TalonP is something I just thought about. I have been looking at the Brocock Bantam Sniper HR....the idea of a larger tank is appealing to me. I heard that you can get roughly 80 shots on a fill.
Living in Texas, I had not even considered loading my TalonP while wearing gloves. That would be a PITA.

Brocock makes some fine guns. I would not be afraid to pick one of them up.

Are the RTIs on the top tier of PCP manufacturers? I've seen some used Prophets for what seems to be a reasonable price.
The Taipans look heavy...never handling one, I'm just making an educated guess.
I also own an RTI Prophet Performance, and yes it wold be a good gun for you also, Especially the compact version. I love mine, but I have it set up as a .22 and really wouldn't consider it enough for coyotes unless I put a .25 or .30 barrel in it.

BTW, there quite a few more than 7 O rings in it, but far less than some other guns and I have yet to have a leak on mine with over 10k shots down the tube.

One of the cool things about the Prophet, is that you can change calibers in about 3 minutes.

I'm no PCP expert, but Manny has more experience in killing hogs with a PCP and he's killed them with a .17 and has also taken them with a .22. A pig is a lot tougher critter than a coyote, so I would think with proper shot placement is the answer.

I said .25 because I felt that it was a good compromise between FPE and sound. I would be hunting 50 yards and less and I plan on hunting near populated areas, so sound is very important to me. From what I'm reading on here a .30 would be a bit louder...I've never owned a .30, so I could not comment on how loud they are compared to the .25. I just know that a 3D printed moderator is pretty quiet with my AV Avenger in .25.

ETA: It's not that I'm not willing to spend more than $1k on the rifle, but PCP is not currently my #1 expense, as I own a ton of PB. I like the PCP option since it's a short distance weapon and it's not as "scary" as a PB.
Yes, agree on Manny’s successes, but understand this- not everyone hunts in the style Manny does. That guy is deep in the thick of things, he’s done his homework as far as stalking, prep of the area, etc. His results are truly the fruits of his extensive labor.

Not trying to start any wars here but for the life of me, I don’t understand why some folks in the pcp community want to get by with killing an animal with the least firepower they can muster…is it because the Crosman pellets can be easily had at Walmart for cheap?!! Get and use the appropriate Ammo for the task at hand! I can guarantee if you were fortunate enough to go on an Alaskan hunt for moose or bear you would not be grabbing a rifle in the 22 caliber family.

Last edited: