• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Need opinions for my next PCP (long winded)

Hello everyone,

I have owned PCP for a few years and I currently own four of them, I'll list them, so you know what I'm dealing with for this thread.

1) A big bore 9mm...I don't recall the make, but I believe it's Korean.
2) Career 707 II .22
3) PRod in .22 I thought it was in .25, but saw that it was never offered in a .25
4) AV in .25...this is the rifle version.

I am looking to buy a hunting only PCP and was leaning towards a .25 due to FTE and that it can be backyard friendly. I've been looking at this forum and the longer I take in my research, the more questions than answers, so I thought I'd ask the experts on this forum.

I really thought that I decided on an Air Force Talon P. I'll go over the Pros/Cons that I've come up with for this pistol.

Pro's
1) Light
2) Compact
3) Parts/service is plus since it's made in TX
4) Simplistic compared to other PCP
5) Cost vs performance
6) Power/performance

Con's
1) Single shot (not sure if that's a real concern, other than trying to load pistol in the dark)
2) Dovetail as I prefer picatinny rails
3) Shot count (this isn't my concern, just what I've been reading)

My biggest concern for the AF Talon P is that this PCP will only be used for hunting, and mostly night hunting. I own a Bering Optics thermal and am considering buying a SightMark Wraith mini or PARD N008S LRF. Does anyone have experience with trying to load the TalonP in the dark, since it's a single shot PCP? I'm not sure if I'm reading into things, or trying to find a reason not to buy the AF TalonP. I am concerned that it may be difficult to single load the TalonP in complete dark conditions.

I am also considering a bullpup PCP as well. I'd prefer a synthetic stock, as I don't want idiot marks on wood. I would say my max budget would be that I'd like to stay around $1,000.00, but I'm willing to spend more if you can give me valid reasons to up my budget. I am pretty open to brands, but I'm not going to want to tinker with the PCP, so I'd like to get one ready to go.

Some requirements
1) Must be simple to work on-as I am never going to be a PCP expert and I'm a PB guy at heart
2) I'd like to keep the PCP around 6lbs with just the bare bullpup
3) Enough power to take down Fox,Coyote with head shot...this is why I was leaning towards .25
4) Moderator ready, so I can quiet it down

The bullpups on my short list are:

1) Taipan Veteran-I like the compact--not sure about weight and wood
2) Stoeger XM1 Bullshark-I like 5yr warranty and since it's in USA, "easier" to get than P35
3) P35, minus the customs since it's shipped via Kral
4) AV Avenger bullpup-weight is more and looks bulky compared to other options
5) Edgun Lelya 2.
6) Kral Empire XS

I'm looking forward to everyone's suggestions.

Reactions: .20calguy
You may want to keep an eye out in the classifieds here. You can probably find a good deal on something normally above your price range.

I suggest you add the fx wildcat to your list if you can find a used one. I’d also suggest .30 for coyote but that’s your call if you’re shooting closer range.

I have no experience with this pcp, but it looks new called the Norica Viriatus 2.0 BP. But it looks interesting if I were in the market.

Reactions: munchie3409
I am new to PCPs but like you I'm interested in coyote hinting. In my thinking, hunting coyotes and fox requires a rifle that is so accurate you will have complete confidence with a side head shot. I currently have an FX Crown Continuum in .25 just for coyotes. I also have a Daystate Air Wolf in .22 which is just as accurate as the Crown. Both rifles will not fail me if I do my part. That said, at your price point, here are four rifles that I would consider buying, all in .25 except for the two Compatto's, which are the only bullpups listed.

BSA - .25 cal - 40 fpe - $900 - Very accurate

Daystate - .25 cal - 40 fpe - $1100 - Very Accurate

Brocock Compatto - .22 cal - 30 fpe - $1019 - Very Accurate

Compatto .22 Regulated - $1195

Check airmaks caiman X in 25 with synthetic stock. Very similar to a Taipan vet and Utah air guns has one on sale for 1080, down from 1300. I’ve shot the 22 side by side with the veteran standard and it’s hard to tell them apart.
Thanks for the tip. I just ordered one in .25

1680059446839.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: weevil
Check airmaks caiman X in 25 with synthetic stock. Very similar to a Taipan vet and Utah air guns has one on sale for 1080, down from 1300. I’ve shot the 22 side by side with the veteran standard and it’s hard to tell them apart.

I saw a thread where some on this forum were not fans of Airmaks...I think it was the Krait model, but I think I'd want to keep things simple.

I’m not trying to be the forum police but I strongly advise against most .22 cal pcps for coyotes, small foxes could be ok.

Unless you can accurately launch a .22 heavy slug over 1050 fps, I don’t think you’re going to generate enough energy for an ethical kill. There are Airguns that can do this, but they’ll cost a bit more than $1k.

Reactions: L.Leon
I’m not trying to be the forum police but I strongly advise against most .22 cal pcps for coyotes, small foxes could be ok.

Unless you can accurately launch a .22 heavy slug over 1050 fps, I don’t think you’re going to generate enough energy for an ethical kill. There are Airguns that can do this, but they’ll cost a bit more than $1k.

I'm no PCP expert, but Manny has more experience in killing hogs with a PCP and he's killed them with a .17 and has also taken them with a .22. A pig is a lot tougher critter than a coyote, so I would think with proper shot placement is the answer.

I said .25 because I felt that it was a good compromise between FPE and sound. I would be hunting 50 yards and less and I plan on hunting near populated areas, so sound is very important to me. From what I'm reading on here a .30 would be a bit louder...I've never owned a .30, so I could not comment on how loud they are compared to the .25. I just know that a 3D printed moderator is pretty quiet with my AV Avenger in .25.

ETA: It's not that I'm not willing to spend more than $1k on the rifle, but PCP is not currently my #1 expense, as I own a ton of PB. I like the PCP option since it's a short distance weapon and it's not as "scary" as a PB.

Caliber is not necessary related with sound.

I own a .22 Evanix AR6 with a plain barrel, no shroud, that is indeed loud.

I own a .357 that is really quiet.

Some of my .30 Cal are VERY quiet.

Depends on the design of the shroud and on the silencer included by manufacturer.

That is good to know...I always thought that sound was louder on ammo that weight more and the speed. I was considering purchasing an AEA in 30 cal from a forum member. He said the rifle was loud and he has a moderator on that rifle. and I didn't know if it would be useful in back yard or in other populate areas. I didn't want to have to deal with people calling the police. Whatever caliber I purchase...I would want an LDC/moderator to quiet things down.

For distances over 50 yards, I'd probably just use my 22LR with subsonic loan and suppressor.

I bought my Talon P specifically for dealing raccoons in the chicken pen at night.
I do not have a thermal optic. Just a rail mounted light that is placed for easy on off, and originally a 4x scope. (The picture below shows it with a Vector optics 4-16 for target work). The light illuminates the targets in the range most likely to be needed for night time intruders from my garage door to the chicken pen.
Loading at night is not a big deal. The breach has plenty of space to get your fingers in and I can load it with my eyes shut. Definitely not as quick and easy as a magazine fed PCP, but with a pellet holder to grab the next shot from it is not a problem. Definitely not as quick and easy as a magazine fed gun though.

I also added a Mad Dog Stock and replaced the 210cc bottle with a 330 CC so my shot count is considerably higher than original.

I chose the TalonP because it is compact, light and quite powerful. I didn't count on it been so much fun to shoot and that led to me making it not quite as compact and light in the end, but it is still more than adequate for protection my birds.

BTW. the dovetail rail was a concern for me too, but I just got a picatiny adapter and got it exactly where I needed, tightened the screws and done! It does have the advantage of infinite adjustability instead of notch 1, 2, 3 etc.
IMG_2087.JPG

Reactions: munchie3409
And if you are just going to use it for hunting (at least that's what you say now) the Talon P is more than adequate.

It is as simple as they come with, I believe, only 4 O Rings in the entire gun.
I use a Talon Tunes moderator that quiets it down very nicely and is not bulky. Looks right on it too.
I would not hesitate to take down a coyote if I had a clean head shot.
Mine with the stock, light and optic is only 9 lbs, so it should be easily 6 or less in its stock form

The other advantage is that with the small bottle it is easily filled with a hand pump, so if camping you don't have to lug a tank with you.

The others on your list are also good guns, but for hunting alone the price is high and ROI kind of low, except maybe the Avenger.