Other Need Opinion: FX Impact M3 or Daystate Red Wolf HP

I'm looking to buy one of these rifles. The M3 I'm looking at is a beautiful, custom Utah Airguns 22 cal with nice options and set up to shoot slugs. The Red Wolf is also setup as a 22cal slug shooter. I've never held either rifle before. The Red Wolf is only slightly more money so not a huge difference when spending 2 grand.

I have an FX Maverick in 25cal and so far, tuning has not been my strong suit. I had it tuned by FX USA in the spring so I'm very happy with it for now. So, I imagine the Impact would feel quite similar.

Since I don't have any experience with either the Impact or the Red Wolf I'd really like to hear from you guys. Currently, I'm a backyard plinker but I enjoy precision shooting. I can only get out to 50yds so 2" steel targets can get boring. I typically shoot targets 1" and smaller. I'm hoping to do some shooting next year with my new neighbor where we can easily get out over 100yds.

So, what do you guys think? I'd love to hear your opinions on which you would choose!!

Since you already have a .25 FX Maverick, I’d try the Daystate if I was you.

You already have the FX “formula” - liner barrels with pressed in rifling and the FX trigger.

The Daystate would be different in that you would have a Lothar Walther polygonal rifling barrel and an electronic trigger.

IMHO, the barrel and trigger is what its all about - so why not go Daystate and experience a totally different barrel and trigger?

-Ed

They certainly shoulder and feel very different. Do you like compact bullpup rifles or do you like traditional feeling rifles?

I was looking at an M3 vs a BRK ghost as they are similar in feel. The simplicity of the ghost with 14 orings vs 68 of the M3 won out. Plus I am not a tinkerer.

The redwolf is nice and the trigger is superb. Once its set you leave it. Sadly if you need to program it you will need a $400 programmer or $250 for a heliboard that you can program on the fly, but that also voids a warranty.

A friend shot my ghost and redwolf tuesday. He kept going back to the redwolf and loved it. Its certainly a ferarri of rifles.

Maybe do something different since you already have an fx? Unless you really enjoy the fx traits?

I only have one rifle with computer inside: Red Wolf in ..22 Cal.

This rifle is the dream of anyone: absolutely accurate, comfortable to shoulder, beautiful and easy to control.

If you want to have the alternative of moving more the settings with the sacrifice of beauty, there's the Delta Wolf.

I won't ever buy a FX again. I have the Panthera Compact Hunter in .25 Cal and I already paid the tuition.

I'm looking to buy one of these rifles. The M3 I'm looking at is a beautiful, custom Utah Airguns 22 cal with nice options and set up to shoot slugs. The Red Wolf is also setup as a 22cal slug shooter. I've never held either rifle before. The Red Wolf is only slightly more money so not a huge difference when spending 2 grand.

I have an FX Maverick in 25cal and so far, tuning has not been my strong suit. I had it tuned by FX USA in the spring so I'm very happy with it for now. So, I imagine the Impact would feel quite similar.

Since I don't have any experience with either the Impact or the Red Wolf I'd really like to hear from you guys. Currently, I'm a backyard plinker but I enjoy precision shooting. I can only get out to 50yds so 2" steel targets can get boring. I typically shoot targets 1" and smaller. I'm hoping to do some shooting next year with my new neighbor where we can easily get out over 100yds.

So, what do you guys think? I'd love to hear your opinions on which you would choose!!
Both very different… also, I would say you probably wouldn’t want a slug shooter for 50 yards. It won’t be more accurate than pellets at that range, will be much more expensive, and use more air… if you want to stay with slugs, the Impact will have more power availability.

I have owned both and loved both. Both are equally as accurate and I never had an issue with either, and I have owned multiples of both.

Red Wolf - Traditional rifle setup, so longer and lower. Takes up taller space in the safe but isn’t as tall on the bench. Laminate stock… Tuning requires more addons, or you are stuck with just 3 settings. Trigger is amazing!!!!!!!!! Small magazines. No addons required except a way to attach the bipod.

Impact - Bullpup so shorter, but taller and needs a wide bipod to stabilize it. Fits in a safe easier without worrying about length. Tactical stock (I like this more even if not a pretty). Tuning is easy. Trigger is just ok. Huge magazines and cheaper magazines. If want to adjust cheek rest higher, need addon.

Of all my PCP’s this one is my favorite because of everything: power to take a deer, accuracy above my skills, confortable to shoulder, many shots per fill, reliability …… A superb rifle on every aspect. A .30 Cal non regulated with 91 fpe with JSB 44.7 grain:

IMG_3123.jpeg

Thank you for your thoughts!! I really appreciate the insights!!
IMHO, the barrel and trigger is what its all about
I def agree! I sold off one gun cuz the trigger was so bad.
Unless you really enjoy the fx traits?
My ability to tune the M3 concerns me a little. My experience with FX service has been absolutely amazing. No other company has even come close so I feel like I can never go wrong with an FX.
I have owned both and loved both.
I don't have a preference between bullpup or conventional rifles. I should do more research on the Red Wolf as I'm only going off of reputation right now. I agree that I don't need slug gun for my typical back yard shooting. I'm thinking more long term. I will be moving in a couple years and the plan is to have much more property to be able to shoot.

One thing I was curious to find out with this post was if anyone felt the choice was obvious. I don't think I'm seeing that so far. My Maverick is my favorite rifle right now so I'm leaning toward the Impact. Plus the current owner lives nearby. I like my others but enjoy my 25 cal Maverick the most. I have an AGT Vulcan 3 in 177, Kalibrgun Cricket 2 Tactical 45 in 22, a Marauder in 22 and a couple 177 pistols ( 1720T which I recently converted to a carbine and an HW44 ). I don't have 2 guns of the same manufacturer in my collection.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
Personally for back yard paper punching I would go redwolf (or delta/alfa/ghost) I’ve the impact. I’ve had a maverick, now have an impact and ghost. I got to shoot a 177 redwolf and it honestly amazed me. Probably the best trigger I’ve used, the action was the smoothest I’ve felt and it was stupid accurate. I is just too long for my uses, inside 50 yards I would stick with pellets. I’ve had better accuracy over multiple groups with pellets plus cheaper and less air usage so they are quieter.

My ability to tune the M3 concerns me a little. My experience with FX service has been absolutely amazing. No other company has even come close so I feel like I can never go wrong with an FX.

I don't have a preference between bullpup or conventional rifles. I should do more research on the Red Wolf as I'm only going off of reputation right now. I agree that I don't need slug gun for my typical back yard shooting. I'm thinking more long term. I will be moving in a couple years and the plan is to have much more property to be able to shoot.

One thing I was curious to find out with this post was if anyone felt the choice was obvious. I don't think I'm seeing that so far. My Maverick is my favorite rifle right now so I'm leaning toward the Impact. Plus the current owner lives nearby. I like my others but enjoy my 25 cal Maverick the most. I have an AGT Vulcan 3 in 177, Kalibrgun Cricket 2 Tactical 45 in 22, a Marauder in 22 and a couple 177 pistols ( 1720T which I recently converted to a carbine and an HW44 ). I don't have 2 guns of the same manufacturer in my collection.
There are many reasons I want to tell you to go Red Wolf, because of your collection and I think everyone should try one. I like your openness, like me, willing to try all the brands.

The only reason I might not suggest it is the slugs part of your request. Slug tuning can be a lot harder than pellet tuning. With the more limited power and limited tuning options, I probably wouldn’t push you towards a Red Wolf in this particular situation for a slug gun. If for pellets, I would be more inclined to say try one out. Hopefully the owner has found a tune he/she likes for these slugs, but you may not be able to try another slug at the set tunes and have it work. You would be stuck with those slugs.

That being said I have never worried about a warranty, so I would get a Helliboard to go with the Ref Wolf if I wanted options. I have owned the board, so I have seen the benefit.

The Red Wolf is a unique experience. If you haven't owned an electronic rifle, it is definitely worth trying. FX has very good US service, which is the good news. Unfortunately, it seems to be needed much more often than with Daystate. My RW and Revere have both been trouble free, and both are very accurate. Should service be needed, AOA has that support covered. If you choose the RW, I believe you will be very satisfied.

Last edited:
I tried the first iteration of the Delta Wolf in .30. Mine was a turd. Went back to an M3 in .25 600mm, and much happier. I like bullpups, rifle style guns are really long with a moderator. I did not like another thing to keep charged, and prefer a mechanical gun that I can adjust, as opposed to an e-gun that someone else programmed. The helioboard upgrade is super, but voids your warranty. Daystate should offer them from the factory with it. I will say the electronic trigger is amazing. I wish there was a mechanical gun with nothing but the electronic trigger. That said, the trigger on my Taipan Veteran is excellent as well, without the electronic gadgetry.

Reactions: scottg0814

I think the choice is obvious.
If you do not tune your own guns, I would never suggest an Impact.
I am an FX fan boy so to speak, but I do my own tuning. The Impact was made for tuners, tweakers and performance junkies Who just cannot leave well enough alone.
Plenty of members here report good success with slugs out of their “wolf” guns.
If I did not want to tune Daystate would be my first choice.

I think the choice is obvious.
If you do not tune your own guns, I would never suggest an Impact.
I am an FX fan boy so to speak, but I do my own tuning. The Impact was made for tuners, tweakers and performance junkies Who just cannot leave well enough alone.
Plenty of members here report good success with slugs out of their “wolf” guns.
If I did not want to tune Daystate would be my first choice.

Both are fine airguns and you should be pleased with either.

Myself, in spite of or maybe because I worked in high tech electronics my whole career I'm dubious about "electronic guns"... mechanical ones work just fine and I can do my own maintenance.

I've no direct experience with the Red Wolf but do have the Daystate .22 caliber Wolverine R that I like very much.

Personally, based on my good experiences with the Impact MK2, I'd go for the Impact MK3 even if tuning isn't your thing.

A few of my hunting friends have each purchased a .22/700mm Impact MK3 (and share a compressor) just to shoot "pellet guns" instead of rimfires. They're not into airguns, tuning, slugs and such, they just shoot theirs as received, straight out of the box with the factory tune. They do like having the option to change calibers and shoot slugs should they ever want to go there.

Good luck with your choice!
Cheers!

I consider the Daystate RW more of a bench gun, the M3 more of an all around gun. It is VERY easy to tune with the quick tune adjustments, and totally not necessary on an ongoing basis. I tuned mine for my projectile of choice over a year and a half ago, and have not touched it since. The fiddling issue is more about the user than the gun.

It doesn't sound like you would enjoy the infinite tuning abilities of the M3. I bought an MKII just for that reason. I would say go for the Redwolf in your case. It has fewer tuning abilities that would suit you better. Plus, it has more of a traditional feel. For me, I would go for the Redwolf just for the different experience. I would take nothing for my Impact. It is super accurate and very finely custom tuned by me. 85-yard headshots on squirrels are an easy task with it.