• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Need help with Wildcat Mk3 bt malfunction

Today I was shooting my new Wildcat MkIII bt vp and had what seems to be some sort of major malfunction. I was casually shooting some different types of ammo to see which one my gun likes the best. I have maybe 300 rounds through it total since I got it last week. Today I got about 100 rounds through it, then refilled to try out the FX 50 gr diabolo pellets. I shot about 9 through it. They were grouping very nicely at 50 yards. Then I chambered a new pellet, aimed at my target, and fired. The round flew high and right about 5 inches from the previous group and the shot made a slightly different sound than usual. I also felt a small puff of air on my cheek. When I went to cock the gun again, the charging lever will neither come back fully, nor go forward fully, and the mag seems to be jammed in the gun. I have not touched it since, as I don't want to do anything that would void the warranty. I will also note that I have never fooled with either of the regulators, as I just got it and was trying to find the best ammo for it before I toyed with any tuning. Does anyone have any idea what may be going on here???

I'll take a stab....
It seems like you have;
1.) Uprooted the internal barrel O-Ring and it has prevented the probe from moving easily. The puff of air at your cheek would indicate that this is likely the issue. You will need to remove the barrel. Once the barrel is removed, you should be able to remove the magazine by pulling the cocking lever back as normal. Then look at the breech end of the liner to see that there should be an O-Ring about .375" from the end, it may be folded up inside (sounds like it's folded or torn?). Replace the O-Ring and reassemble.
2.) You may have loaded a double pellet, which is easy enough to do, and the second pellet has only just entered to forcing cone area as it is blocked by the first pellet loaded, locking up the magazine as the second pellet is half-in-half-out of the magazine.
If that is the case, then you will need to remove the barrel as above. Then push those pellets toward the breech end with a non-metallic, or soft brass rod to not damage the liner. Then reassemble.
Hopefully that's the issue.
I'm certain that someone else will also have an answer, not necessarily the same though.
Good luck, you're in the right Forum, there are MANY helpful folks here.

Mike

I'll take a stab....
It seems like you have;
1.) Uprooted the internal barrel O-Ring and it has prevented the probe from moving easily. The puff of air at your cheek would indicate that this is likely the issue. You will need to remove the barrel. Once the barrel is removed, you should be able to remove the magazine by pulling the cocking lever back as normal. Then look at the breech end of the liner to see that there should be an O-Ring about .375" from the end, it may be folded up inside (sounds like it's folded or torn?). Replace the O-Ring and reassemble.
2.) You may have loaded a double pellet, which is easy enough to do, and the second pellet has only just entered to forcing cone area as it is blocked by the first pellet loaded, locking up the magazine as the second pellet is half-in-half-out of the magazine.
If that is the case, then you will need to remove the barrel as above. Then push those pellets toward the breech end with a non-metallic, or soft brass rod to not damage the liner. Then reassemble.
Hopefully that's the issue.
I'm certain that someone else will also have an answer, not necessarily the same though.
Good luck, you're in the right Forum, there are MANY helpful folks here.

Mike
I have a Maverick, essentially a Wildcat, and I believe the suggestions you make are the most likely the fix! I’ve double loaded a few times and also had the pellet in the breech, partially, where you can’t remove the magazine. Removing the barrel is easy and your method will work.

Reactions: Kaelyx_0210
Thanks to both of you for your support. Shortly after I made this post I also posted in the r/Airguns subreddit and one of the admins replied almost immediately with a similar experience that they had had with their Maverick. Turns out the 2 grub screws that connect the charging lever to the probe had come loose and the probe was out of position when I had chambered the pellet, then partially stuck in the magazine afterwards. I threw some loc-tite on them and put them back in place and now it runs like a dream again. But I definitely appreciate your suggestions and will keep them in mind if (god forbid) something like this ever happens again lol.