• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Benjamin Need help with stuck slugs in Bulldog barrel

Hey y'all. Can anyone help with removing stuck slugs in my Benjamin Bulldog .357? My friend unknowingly pushed 3 -142g slugs and I can't not remove them for anything. I tried spraying Ballistol down the barrel and soaking over night, then used a push rod to try and remove the slugs back out of the breach. They didn't budge at all. Do I need to let the air out and remove the barrel? If so, are there any good vids on how to do so? Thanks for any advice in advance. I hope the barrel in not ruined, errrrr.

The current record for number of slugs compacted in a Bulldog and returned to Benjamin is 5. 😳😂. I’ve only had a max of 3 through me.
The worse I’ve ever seen it was an AEA .22 semi-auto with just over half the barrel length filled with pellets. That one needed some heat to straighten out. The temp it takes to melt lead is definitely low enough and won’t harm the barrel. Just replace the breech seal. Barrels are fully annealed mostly.

Glad you got them out! For the future I would definitely not be afraid of a drill on a .357. Go slow and steady its lead so the bit will bite in easily. And obviously use a much smaller bit than the barrel. It's just to relieve the slugs to help push them out easier not drill them out completely. Our farmer had a .177 Mrod and one of his kids or someone shoved something like 8-10 down the barrel. I had to use heat to get them all out.

Reactions: maxtrouble
Using a dead-straight jig to reliefe drill the center of a pellet/slug is miles away from carefully drilling one out by hand!

These drill bits are collered in nylon or delrin and sprung so that the bit is never exposed until contact with the material is achieved.

Very low speeds are used and the bit has radial extractor ribs that will normally pull the first in the stack out of the barrel.

I've never seen a Smith push a projectile out the crown, never. It's always back to the breach if it's just one soft lead projectile.

Reactions: Dairyboy
Using a dead-straight jig to reliefe drill the center of a pellet/slug is miles away from carefully drilling one out by hand!

These drill bits are collered in nylon or delrin and sprung so that the bit is never exposed until contact with the material is achieved.

Very low speeds are used and the bit has radial extractor ribs that will normally pull the first in the stack out of the barrel.

I've never seen a Smith push a projectile out the crown, never. It's always back to the breach if it's just one soft lead projectile.
I have seen them pulled out the muzzle. I think getting a self-tapping rod into the leading bullet and pulling it out is not so uncommon. Pretty much like a stuck-case extractor, but from the other end.

@Ezana4CE a barrel vise is a place to start, but it really depends on what you have to work with (in terms of how much can you remove from the barrel). It seems to me that anything stubborn almost always requires some custom knick-knack even if it's just a bushing for the barrel vise.

GsT

I have seen them pulled out the muzzle. I think getting a self-tapping rod into the leading bullet and pulling it out is not so uncommon. Pretty much like a stuck-case extractor, but from the other end.

@Ezana4CE a barrel vise is a place to start, but it really depends on what you have to work with (in terms of how much can you remove from the barrel). It seems to me that anything stubborn almost always requires some custom knick-knack even if it's just a bushing for the barrel vise.

GsT

In muzzle loaders, it very common but not so much in small bore, removable barreled guns, especially small calibers.

I know that I'm not buying a customer a new barrel because I'm unwilling to follow the ladder or escalation.

First off, do no harm.

In muzzle loaders, it very common but not so much in small bore, removable barreled guns, especially small calibers.

I know that I'm not buying a customer a new barrel because I'm unwilling to follow the ladder or escalation.

First off, do no harm.
I've seen it in modern arms, saw it in a video yesterday with a modern revolver (although I wouldn't let that guy touch any of my firearms...) but definitely agree with the ladder of escalation. It's always about what you have to work with.

GsT

Reactions: HunterKillerBravo
Happy day! So what did you do to get them out?

GsT
I let the air out, removed the barrel and used a plastic pushrod to tap them out from the breach end. I think I got very lucky, as I did not damage anything. The slugs were in there pretty good. I'm glad I torn it down, because I did find some loose screws and it gave me the chance to polish up the inside.