• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Need Help With My Slightly Used (New to Me) Diana/RWS 48

This past weekend I was at a big Gun & Knife Show in SE-Michigan and picked up this 2001 Diana 48. No scratches on the blueing or the stock. It has been well cared for as far as I can see for a gun that is over 20 years old. The guy I bought it from was a private dealer and he couldn't give me any history on it so it was sort of a "pig in a poke". It also came with what I think might have been the original RWS scope on it. (it had a few scratches and wear marks on it) After I got it home, I put about 50 pellets thru it and it seems to do pretty well at 30 yds in my backyard. This is my first Diana and the cocking seemed fairly smooth to me. It's shooting at around 740 fps with a H&N FTT 14.66 gr. Maybe that is a little slow for that gun but if the original seal is still in it, that might explain the slight deficiency.

So I have a few questions for anyone who can help me out here. The cocking arm will flop out about 4 inches if I don't hold it in. Is this normal? Second the rod connected to the cocking arm at the other end is either offset or bent. I think it is bent because the jam nut does not seem to fit flush against its surface. Could this be why the cocking arm is flopping out. And finally, I notice that the barrel shroud will spin if I twist it. Is that normal? I'll try to post a photo here so you can see what I'm describing. Thank you in advance for any comments you might have.

Diana Emblem sm.jpg
Diana Bent Rod sm.jpg

The linkage from the cocking arm to the compression tube is out of adjustment. Pull the pin to seperate the cocking arm from the rear of the main tube and give it 1 turn in and then reconnect it and recheck it. Repeat as necessary. It shouldn't take more than one turn but I've been wrong about things before. Also, the threads look a bit bent there from the linkage being too long. Bend it back straight carefully while you're in there.

As a second alternative in case I was wrong about that linkage:

There could be a pellet or something jammed between the compression tube (the silver piece that slides back when you cock it) and the area where the barrel sits. You'll have to cock the gun to peak in there.

As a third alternative, and this one is less likely but still possible, the breech seal could be over sized. Check the first two recommendations first.

Reactions: Snapshot46
It's been a while since I fixed on a 48, but I do believe the rod is bent at the rear mounting point there. That would explain the lack of tension, since it would lose a little length there.

That rod is meant to be adjusted to deflect (bend) just a little on closing, to provide the tension to keep the arm closed. But be careful, as it will break if too tight.

The last T01 triggered 48 I worked on (almost an identical vintage as yours) came to me with the rod broken exactly where yours is bent there. It also had a broken mainspring, and I suspect the rod broke from someone trying to manhandle it while cocking with the busted and wadded up mainspring.

Reactions: Sqwirl57
Best I remember the barrel "shroud" consists of a couple parts, one being the real thin metal sleeve that is probably spinning.

I *think* it is held on by nothing more than tension from the front sight. It's a been a while and I'm a little fuzzy on that and can't remember what holds the sight on. But start at the front sight and see if it's loose, and if you can move it rearward to put some tension on the shroud. Maybe that is of some help.

Best I remember the barrel "shroud" consists of a couple parts, one being the real thin metal sleeve that is probably spinning.

I *think* it is held on by nothing more than tension from the front sight. It's a been a while and I'm a little fuzzy on that and can't remember what holds the sight on. But start at the front sight and see if it's loose, and if you can move it rearward to put some tension on the shroud. Maybe that is of some help.
That sounds right. My D56 shroud was loose and tightening the set screws up at the front of the barrel weight fixed that right up

Reactions: thumper
The linkage from the cocking arm to the compression tube is out of adjustment. Pull the pin to seperate the cocking arm from the rear of the main tube and give it 1 turn in and then reconnect it and recheck it. Repeat as necessary. It shouldn't take more than one turn but I've been wrong about things before. Also, the threads look a bit bent there from the linkage being too long. Bend it back straight carefully while you're in there.
When you say "Bend it back straight carefully" that is what worries me. I don't want it to break off while bending it back. Do you happen to know if parts are still available for this gun?
And thank you to both of you for your comments.

I'd use some heat if it isn't cracked already. They don't like to bend, especially more than once.

Last time I got parts, was in 2014 o_O and straight from Umarex.

I found the original email, LOL

Some guy sent me an exploded view, and told me to call em with the part numbers I needed. Course, that was quite a while ago. Anyway, here's the exploded view he sent me. Maybe that will be of some help.

View attachment Diana mod 48,48T01,48SVT01,48SLT01 .pdf

When you say "Bend it back straight carefully" that is what worries me. I don't want it to break off while bending it back. Do you happen to know if parts are still available for this gun?
And thank you to both of you for your comments.
You'll be fine. My D56 linkage was way worse than that and it bent back fine. If it really bothers you Pyramydair should be able to get it for you as should AoA.

I used to run a small airgun repair business in my local area. I've seen this issue more than once. The cocking link is indeed bent. I don't think that bending it back will work. It's very brittle. Assuming that parts are available, it's a very simple fix.
Thank you for your comment. I sort of figured exactly what you said about being brittle. After having it bent one way has already stressed it, so bending it back will just add to that stress. But at this point, what have I got to lose? As they say, "Nothing ventured, Nothing gained.

Reactions: razor62
As a second alternative in case I was wrong about that linkage:

There could be a pellet or something jammed between the compression tube (the silver piece that slides back when you cock it) and the area where the barrel sits. You'll have to cock the gun to peak in there.

As a third alternative, and this one is less likely but still possible, the breech seal could be over sized. Check the first two recommendations first.
possible someone put a second breach seal on top of the original which is the exact picture you posted . a few Youtubes about fixing are available

I had use of a 54 Air King before I got into pcp's. Same problem. The guy who owned it tried forcing the lever closed before learning how to operate it correctly. IF you're going to try bending it back applying heat to the "bend" might be advisable. Maybe it would relieve some of the brittleness of the metal. I ended up putting a strong rubber band around the stock & after cocking, used that to hold the lever from sticking out those 3 or 4 inches.

I had use of a 54 Air King before I got into pcp's. Same problem. The guy who owned it tried forcing the lever closed before learning how to operate it correctly. IF you're going to try bending it back applying heat to the "bend" might be advisable. Maybe it would relieve some of the brittleness of the metal.
that new rod is available @ umerex $18 including shipping , that is what i did

Thank you for your comment. I sort of figured exactly what you said about being brittle. After having it bent one way has already stressed it, so bending it back will just add to that stress. But at this point, what have I got to lose? As they say, "Nothing ventured, Nothing gained.
Exactly. My T05 48 had a slightly bent linkage as well. I went slow and steady and it's been 100 percent now for the last 6 years or so..