• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Need Help With Impact Shroud

Hey guys I am having some issues with my FXs.

Impact setup shoots 25 cal slugs very well (under moa). Swapped over to a 30 cal and very poor groups (literally 3-4ft at 50yards). Remove my 30 cal Tanto and lead shavings come pouring out! So I say ok, wrong diameter apparently a 0.340" exit diameter is not enough for an air gun. Cool, so I start to change parts out so I can get more clearance. Remove my factory 500mm Impact shroud and a metric crap ton of lead chunks all over my bed and floor and pajamas! Now I am totally puzzled, how in the world does lead even get into the shroud? There must be a bottle neck somewhere, so I measure the exit diameter of the shroud's 1/2-20 and its ~0.242" so Im clipping even my 25 cal slugs! Measure my Wildcat shroud and same diameter, but at least that was a 22 cal from the factory. My Impact started life as a 25 cal. I have a 700mm Impact shroud that measures 0.330", so why in all their wisdom did FX make different diameter shrouds?

But all that aside the mystery still stands, how did several slugs worth of shavings end up in my shroud? Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Lead gets in the shroud because there is a brake in there. If there wasn’t, the shroud would be useless. If you’re going to be shooting a .30, make sure you use a .30 shroud. Thats why FX sells barrel kits.
Aha I thought it was just an end cap so that make sense if there is some kind of air stripper inside the shroud. Seems like FX should have at least sold a 25 cal shroud with a 25 cal factory rifle, but I guess mine was shipped with a 22 cal shroud. Maybe I can drill my end-cap/air-strippers out a little to clear. Kind of amazing I didnt blow the whole assembly apart shooting a 30 cal Nielson slug through a 0.242" hole at 900fps.

Edit: I was just looking at the Diagrams on FX-USA and can see what you are talking about. It looks like they made the air stripper all one size, but there are 3 different sized end cap thread adapters. Not really sure what the design benefit would be in doing that, but I guess I need to order the 30 cal part.

Last edited:
Yeah, if it was just an end cap on the shroud you would have to hang a much bigger can on the gun to keep it quiet. The ID of my .25 Impacts threaded tip is 7.25mm. The ID of my .22 Impacts threaded tip is 6.30mm. You were running those .30’s through a sizer shooting your gun with the wrong shroud. Yes these guns are modular but modular with all the correct components.

Reactions: baloo