Need help with Hatsan Lightning compressor

I bought this compressor about 18 months ago. It has right at 20 hours of use on it and has been pretty good for most of that time. I had some electrical issues with it at first and found that it was the cheap connectors on the switches. I got that fixed then had a tube leaking from the filter to the outlet block. Hatsan sent me new switches and a tube at no charge so no complaint there. That was all in the first three hours of use. Since then its been pretty good.

Now to the present- One day it quit filling past 200 bar or so and I found that same line was leaking again. I ordered and paid for one from Hatsan and got it within a week. After I installed the new line I had another leak at the fitting where it screws into the top of the filter. MY bad as I stripped the threads when installing the new fitting. So I ordered a new cap for the filter from Hatsan. Another week and I had my part. Got it installed and all was good-- for one run. I had pressure in my coolant tank. So I tore the high side apart and found a bad oring on top of the high side cyl. While I was at it I replaced the high side piston rings and all orings. Cleaned out the check valve and replaced the washers on the fittings. started up and now it blew out the top gasket on the low side reed plate. I replaced both gaskets started it up again. At 240 bar it blew again. This time I put some Indian Head gasket cement on the gaskets and installed a brand new reed plate assy and let it sit overnight. Yesterday I ran it and at 300 bar it blew again. It blows the top gasket around the reed valve to the inside. I'm down to my last gasket for the top of the reed valve but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or over looking. Everything only goes together one way . I've emailed and called Hatsan but so far no reply.

Any ideas

got it fixed. When I cleaned the check valve in the high pressure head I also replaced the spring. The new one I had in my parts bag was about a 1/4" longer and I just figured my old one had took a set. So I replaced it. Well I guess my old one was fine as its working again now that I put the old one back in.

Just filled my tank from 3500 to 4500 in 15 mins where as before it was taking 20- 22 mins. 

Randy, do a search on my posts regarding my hatsan lightning rebuild. I used a permatex anaerobic sealant on the low side head. With 20 hours on the clock I have an feeling yours is on its way out, meaning high side piston seals, gaskets, the whole shabbang. In my three posts regarding my built I list out specific parts to order from tuxingcn.com. It takes approx five weeks to get parts. I ordered a total of three more full seal kits exactly like what Hatsan gives in their kit, about 15 more piston rings and a new high pressure cylinder head because where the piston popped in and out the tunnel inside that head was no longer concentric but wallowed out. Signs of that is oil getting dirty faster than normal.

total cost was cheap at $65. After it was all done to go from 3200 to 4500 took 7 minutes max!!! That is why I think you’re headed for a full rebuild soon. Mine was at under 15 hours when it finally gave up

Randy, do a search on my posts regarding my hatsan lightning rebuild. I used a permatex anaerobic sealant on the low side head. With 20 hours on the clock I have an feeling yours is on its way out, meaning high side piston seals, gaskets, the whole shabbang. In my three posts regarding my built I list out specific parts to order from tuxingcn.com. It takes approx five weeks to get parts. I ordered a total of three more full seal kits exactly like what Hatsan gives in their kit, about 15 more piston rings and a new high pressure cylinder head because where the piston popped in and out the tunnel inside that head was no longer concentric but wallowed out. Signs of that is oil getting dirty faster than normal.

total cost was cheap at $65. After it was all done to go from 3200 to 4500 took 7 minutes max!!! That is why I think you’re headed for a full rebuild soon. Mine was at under 15 hours when it finally gave up

All my parts showed up now so I went ahead and did the full rebuild and replaced the high side head assy, new rings etc.. I found your post and ordered the parts from Tuxing.cn and had them in just over one week. Great service considering whats going on now days. .Also got some parts from PA and Hatsan. My compressor is up and running great now. it had multiple problems going on for the last couple of months such as pressure getting into my coolant reservoir and leaking lines, burnt switches. It seems like I would fix one thing then something else popped up. Mine still isn't as fast as yours but it is much faster than before.

Well, Randy that’s great news. Didn’t realize you were that far on top of things. Yeah next time try that anaerobic sealant, and give it a couple days to fully cure, no water/coolant at all in the system. When I turned that compressor on and laid my thumb on the air filter hole of the 1st stage head I knew right away by the suction that all was good. 

Miss that compressor, as I sold it shortly after. It’s in a good home