• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Need help with grandson's Benjamin Summit air rifle

My grandson has been struggling with accuracy with this air rifle. He brought up to me to look at and I can't group with it either at 10 or 20 yards (my Gamo shoots keyholes at that distance).

First thing I realized is the excessive creep and long trigger pull - check it and it's running between 7 - 7 1/2 pounds. No wonder! I looked online and saw a couple Youtube videos where guys are buying some $15 SLT kit off eBay that improves the trigger.

Actually I think this trigger could stand to have the hammer and anvil honed as I can feel the dragging. Anyone try this modification and is it ok or is there something else that would work better? Thanks.

Polish the sears for sure and additionally find an RC hobby shop where you can buy 10mm x 2mm screws (or maybe 10x3mm - it's been a while since I worked my Summit over) to replace the too-short screw used as the trigger adjusting screw in the gun. I actually had to shorten the 10mm screw to about 8mm in order for it to give me the sear relief I sought without being too long to allow the trigger to be pulled back within the trigger guard. Unlike the standard Crosman/Benjamin NP rifles, the Summit is an NP2 rifle with the CBT (Clean Break Trigger) unit. You can't just remove the "lawyer spring" and replace it with an 8x5x2mm bearing like the "Crosman trigger fix" videos show. You can, however, get to the contact surfaces of the sears in the trigger unit. Polish them and then put a touch of moly grease on each. Really helps the feel of the trigger. I had problems with my adjustment screw (longer version) wanting to work loose and result in a single stage trigger as opposed to the two-stage I wanted. Either go for the single stage from the outset and learn the gun that way, or find a way to get that screw to sit tight so your 2nd stage remains where you expect it.

I agree with carefully polish everything, and the kit you mentioned does indeed seem to be just the longer screw & shims - found at Acehardware - and a spring which perhaps you can fudge - bend/cut/stretch/spare from the bench-. No matter do a severe drop test after final adjustment.

And nothing wrong with grabbing the kit if you prefer, it will allow less sear engagement, do test for safety.

John

Are you talking about the screw at the back of the trigger? His screw head stuck up about 1 1/2 turns but didn't touch anything, I turned it in and it dropped from 7 1/2# to 7#. It definitely is a 2 stage trigger - bad and worse.

I'm going to get this thing to work better. I checked my Gamo Tac with the trigger gauge and it broke just under 2 pounds - no wonder I can shoot keyholes with it. Thanks.