• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Need help with Crosman Challenger trigger?

Has anyone found a way to lighten the Crosman Challenger trigger pull weight? I've adjusted the two set screws in harmony but it only changes the first and second stage position of where the trigger breaks. Mine is really heavy close to 6 pounds and I would like to adjust it in the single digit ounce range if that is possible? If you have been down this road please share what you did to achieve that lower pull weight.

Reactions: ThomasT
As received mine gages at 5 lbs 14 ounces! I tore into it this afternoon because pulling the trigger was akin to trying to bend a fence post With your index finger.

- Removed the stock.
- Removed the 4 screws holding the side cover plate in place.
- Removed the first stage coil spring and replaced it with a much lighter spring from a ball point pen.
156FC5C8-99CF-4ACC-A1B4-138772926470.jpeg

- Added just enough tension to the spring to return the trigger then added a drop of blue Loctite to hold the adjustment screw in place.
E5F194BF-14F7-48AB-9DE6-C1921DA4EBF9.jpeg

- Removed the torsion spring and squeezed it together to lower the tension just enough to have each end just barely ”touch” their engagement surfaces. This spring controls most of the trigger pull weight.
17D490E3-4688-47BF-BED7-7D41755D7D6D.jpeg

- Added moly grease to the sear engagement faces and both set screw engagement points.
E0E16B33-88D8-4781-A4EB-3DB428460DA9.jpeg

- Oiled all rotating pivot points. Reassembled everything and now the trigger breaks at a pleasurable 2-1/2 ounces. It also passes the safety bump test too.
3404121E-716F-48EE-9798-FFA5FDE58CCE.jpeg

Last edited:
As received mine gages at 5 lbs 14 ounces! I tore into it this afternoon because pulling the trigger was akin to trying to bend a fence post With your index finger.

- Removed the stock.
- Removed the 4 screws holding the side cover plate in place.
- Removed the first stage coil spring and replaced it with a much lighter spring from a ball point pen.
View attachment 350692

- Added just enough tension to the spring to return the trigger then added a drop of blue Loctite to hold the adjustment screw in place.
View attachment 350691

- Removed the torsion spring and squeezed it together to lower the tension just enough to have each end just barely ”touch” their engagement surfaces. This spring controls most of the trigger pull weight.
View attachment 350688

- Added moly grease to the sear engagement faces and both set screw engagement points.
View attachment 350690

- Oiled all rotating pivot points. Reassembled everything and now the trigger breaks at a pleasurable 2-1/2 ounces. It also passes the safety bump test too.
View attachment 350689
Would this work with a Gen 2 Marauder trigger as well?

Great explanation and documentation!
I heard that the hammer spring tension on the Challenger 2021 is adjustable. Have you experimented with it?
@Offhand , No, I have not adjusted the HS. Mine is shooting 8 grain pellets around 580 as received and the accuracy is stellar at 10M. I bought this rifle to shoot indoors at 50 feet and it does that quite well. I may play with the HS adjustment later but for now have not seen the need to. I’ve read that wadcutters tend to destabilize above 600 so I have not gone there … yet.

Reactions: Offhand
igolfat8, thanks for posting your work on trigger. I just got my Challenger today and followed what you did except for actually removing the torsion spring. Does that spring just slip off the post without removing the trigger, sear, and the other tiny wire springs? I did get mine to 14 oz without trying to take the torsion spring out and squeezing it.
Thanks,
Dan