Need help removing Akela hammer spring

Hi,

I am in the process of adding a regulator to my Akela. I have been following Sub12's Youtube video. I have run into my first obstacle. I am trying to remove the hammer spring assembly. My receiver did not have the tamper proof device as Sub12's had. It appeared that my receiver had the device sunk into the hole. It was about 11mm deep. I thought that it was a sunken tamper proof device that was threaded, and could be removed with a broken screw extractor. After further visual examination, I found that there were some threads in the hole for about 5-6mm, but after that...no threads. I am not sure how to get the hammer assembly out. The only thing I can think of is that it is actually a pin, since there is a small hole aligned with the bottom hole on top of the receiver that has no thread too. If so, hammered out from the top of the receiver.

This is the hammer assembly hole I am referring too.

HELP!

TIA -Joe

1664759776544.png

There is nothing in that hole. Look at the side of your receiver. Below the cocking lever you should see a "pin". This is what is holding the hammer adjuster in. Put a punch on the side and lightly tap, it will drive it out the opposite side of the receiver and the adjuster will pop out. You may need to put pressure on the adjuster (pushing it towards the muzzle) with your finger to relieve the pressure of the spring on the retaining pin to make it easier to drive out.

Very nice! Actually gorgeous. Is that a custom made stock? I see no stippling on the grip. Maybe you sanded that out?

It's the original Benji stock. I did sand that machine cut "checkering" off. Started at 100 and ended at 400 grit. A little Birchwood Casey Walnut stain and then 6 or 7 hand rubbed coats of Tru-Oil.

If you get a second go to "airgunrevisions.com" click on the link for the Akela spring kit, long story short I have used both the Lane and Huma-Air regs, both worked with a lot of tuning, but then I'm particular lol. I purchased the spring kit form AirGun Revisions and removed the reg and installed the kit. He has a shot string readout on that link, its the real deal. I'm getting the same results for 25 bucks and a much simpler install. I've had to kick myself twice , maybe this will save you the pain . Good luck man.

I'll take a look at that, but I wanted to feel the pain as I have never worked on an air gun until I disassembled the Akela. After watching Sub12's video, it seemed like a good project. The Lane is on order, so I will stick with that.

Now to clarify, the Airgun Revisions spring kit is NOT required/needed for improved performance if I install the Lane. Is that correct?

doninva is correct, the hammer spring modification is recommended , that spring kit from AR does come with a new hammer spring that is shorter and stiffer than the stock spring and works very well. Theirs also a new hammer spring adjuster thats a huge improvement over stock as it accepts a 5mm allen instead of a flat head screwdriver. I feel like those 2 items alone were worth the 20 bucks . This would be your shot string with the spring kit , it'll give you something to gauge the reg performance against.

shot string.jpg

shot string 2.jpg

Last edited: