Need help regarding a gun trade with cash on top.

I’m curious if on this board how many times buyers were stiffed on a transaction.
On AGN I have sold a number of items and every single person was sent what they ordered. They of course aren’t comfortable until they see the PM I send them with tracking info and then when they open the package to see that the item condition matches my post of the item/s. I have been on the other side of transactions too and have not been burned. When I switched from powder burners to air rifles last year I sold $8,500 of stuff on Accurate Shooter forum and every single transaction went smooth and every item made the buyer pleased.
To me, one bad sale on my part will destroy my seller reputation. It’s like when I went to a drug test bussiness when I got hired at a local gun shop, I told the nurse that I was a special deputy on the local sheriff dept for 16 years (at that time) and nothing on earth would make me compromise that job even though the sheriff job was part time.
Some years back when I got medicalled out of scuba diving and on a scuba forum sold $28,000 of scuba gear all over the U.S. and some to Australia and Canada and not one single person was disappointed.
So I’m curious what the success rate is on this board.

Reactions: tnx206
Why use PP? Allow time for the check or money order to clear the issuing bank, then ship the rifles. Exchange photos of IDs with the rifle. Name and address should match shipping. There is always a risk. PP fees and "insurance" from the carrier are both wastes of money.
Can you elaborate on the check or money order process instead of using PP? Ty.

Can you elaborate on the check or money order process instead of using PP? Ty.
The party receiving the check deposits it in his bank account. Depending on the clearing process involved, within a few days the check will be paid by the issuing bank, and the money is then considered collected funds in the depositor's account and is safe from charge back. In other words, you then know there was enough money in the account on which it was drawn to cover the check. As purchaser, I have paid many times with my personal check, telling the seller to delay shipping until totally comfortable that my check has cleared. The seller still has the item, and my money, no reason he shouldn't agree. Obviously, it won't work if either party is in a hurry, takes about a week.

Thank you for explaining the process. So if I send him a money order and my gun and if he doesn’t send me his gun after what protection do I have vs using PP and paying the 3.5%?
None. If I were sending money, I would want his rifle before shipping mine. IMO, the most important thing in these transactions is being comfortable that the other party is who he claims to be, and that he actually has the item in his possession. A photo of his ID, showing the name and address for shipping, with the rifle, is not an unreasonable request. Nothing is without risk. If the PP service gives you comfort, you should use it. I've never brought a third party into this type transaction, and I'm unwilling to give bank information to PP, or any other such service. But that's just me. I talk to the other party and become comfortable with it, or not. I've walked away from a few, and I've never been burned by those I trusted.

None! Even with check you could claim mail fraud, but now days that dosen't amount to much. With PP Goods you might get some of your money back. Trust in who you are dealing with is prime.
You could buy each other's product using PP Goods and that could offer a bit more protection but at an additional cost.
Two nice things about USPS Money Order.
1. The buyer has to buy the money order from the post office. So funds are secured through the post office. In my opinion, if you try to screw the federal government (post office) you’re just stupid.
2. When you receive the money order, you can go to the USPS website and run they money order serial number and it will tell you if it is legit. But to be safe you deposit in your bank and let it clear just like a personal check.
Downside to the process is that the customer needs to go to post office to purchase it. $1.65 for $0.01-$500, $2.20 for $500.01-$1,000.
To me, money order is way to go.
There are several money order companies like Wells Fargo etc. that are legit too, I pretty much always use them for my Mastercard and Discover bills.
There are definitely methods besides PP, it would be nice if the credit card companies would develop a system for private sales.
Randy

Reactions: SHOMER and tnx206
Added response to rcs9250
One more nice thing about a USPS Money Order. Since their purchased from a US governmental agency, in a US court of LAW, even their receipt subs are deemed a LEGAL document. Example; make any child support payment via US Postal Money Order & keep all your receipt subs! Should later in the course of human events; there be any legation about missing funds with you being a deadbeat for non support etc.

Reactions: rcs9250
Just a suggestion....what about using a third party such as a local gun dealer? Many FFL dealers charge minimal fees for transfers. If they are not doing firearms paperwork it may even be less. Another option is a pawnshop as the third party. Again, small fees for the transfer,...
Not a bad idea, but I'm not sure that a dealer would want to do it. Dealers are accustomed to handling the required paperwork for a firearm transfer, they receive the firearm, the buyer picks it up and fills out the form. In this case, I think you are suggesting that the dealer would, in effect act as a closing agent, holding the the two air rifles until payment is completed, and then getting each one to the appropriate party. If the dealer doesn't control the items, then no security is added, if it does, that may be a level of responsibility in which the typical dealer would have no interest. This is just my opinion, but I think if I am interested in a transaction with another individual, and without getting into a discouraging level of complication and expense, I just have to assume a certain level of risk, and do reasonable due diligence. I've never found it difficult to make a decision after some communication with the other party, always including actual conversation, getting some photo verification of identity and the item (in the same photo), and then allowing clearing time for funds collection. I remember only one instance in which the seller showed an unwillingness to cooperate with my "lack of trust" in him. So we went our separate ways. I guess there is no perfect way to do this, and some folks simply avoid such transactions, buying only from dealers.