• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Need help in choosing a rangefinder for hunting with a pcp

I have never used a rangefinder -- really unnecessary when I was hunting groundhogs with my 22-250! I can't believe that I would need to spend $300+ for an instrument that I would want to range only out to about 200 yards at the very most. I have spent a lot of time on research. One possibility in the Bushnell Prime 1300 6x24 which I could get for $170.00. It is supposed to be a newer improved model with good low light abilities. On the more budget-conscious side I have viewed several of the Aofar models. I could get a model hx-1200t h2 6x25 for $96.00. They have a model hx-800 h3 for $155.00. The model that ranges farther (to 1,200 yards) is cheaper than the one that ranges to 800 yards. I was guessing that the model designation of "h3" might have some improvements over the "h2" model but have not been able to find out through my searches. I would appreciate any input from those of you who have used rangefinders. Also, please let me know if you have any knowledge of the different models of the Aofar brand. I originally had considered a Vortex Ranger 1300 which is on sale at Cabela's for $300.00. Many reviewers, when not touting one particular brand or model, say that they all work much the same with good accuracy. With our air rifle loopy trajectories we know how important our ranging must be, especially when hunting.

I thank you in advance for your replies.

The $70 Simmons at Wal-Mart works.

I bought a new used one for $40 shipped here.

Don't buy HALO BRAND! NO MATTER HOW CHEAP YOU FIND THEM! THEY DON'T STAND BEHIND THEIR WARRANTY!!!

YO, my Halo XL450 has been working great for 2 years now. Don’t know about the warranty though.

They MUST KNOW that YOU have A LOT of VASELINE and I DON'T!

I like and have used the Sig Sauer model 1400, it is probably much more distance than you need for airgunning, but will certainly do the job. https://www.sportsmans.com/hunting-gear-supplies/rangefinders-nightvision/sig-sauer-kilo1400-bdx-6x20mm-laser-rangefinder/p/1504469 Sig also sells a "1000" model for about $50 less than the 1400, I would bet it is just as good. Neither of these Sigs have illumination, but to be honest I prefer the black display. I have used a Vortex 1300 that had a red illuminated display and felt it was hard to see in bright conditions. 

The more distance the ranger will do is an indicator of power of laser and how good the unit uses the reflected power. So a 1000yd will work much better at small objects near by. also how fine the out put is gets into tight spots between other objects. I have a Leica 1200 and it works rather well. But to purchase again as this is years old I would still get a 1000 yard or better but with a ballistic calculator so you can get level distance and maybe projectile correction.

The $70 Simmons at Wal-Mart works.

I bought a new used one for $40 shipped here.

Don't buy HALO BRAND! NO MATTER HOW CHEAP YOU FIND THEM! THEY DON'T STAND BEHIND THEIR WARRANTY!!!

YO, my Halo XL450 has been working great for 2 years now. Don’t know about the warranty though.

They MUST KNOW that YOU have A LOT of VASELINE and I DON'T!

What’s with the “Vaseline” comment? Trying to be cute?

I bought a Leupold RX-1200I TBR W DNA a while back on sale and I have been perfectly happy with it. The "wind" feature is useless as it assuming a fixed wind speed, it's also fiddly to change, so you are better off using strelok or whatever for your shooting solution.

If you use it at dawn/dusk make sure you get one that uses LCD that is backlit/illuminated, or that use a OLED screen.

If I had to do it again, I would look very closely at the Nikon ranger finders with vibration reduction (VR) as they are much easier to hold on target with one hand.