• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Need help - FX Maverick .25 tuning

I am trying to tun my FX Maverick – the gun is .25 cal, the 700 mm sniper version with superior heavy slug liner and slug power kit.

For now, the first reg pressure is 185 – 190 and the second rec is 150 – 155 I have the standard gauges on so not easy to get the exact reading. The power wheel is on 7 and the micro adjuster is 4.84 mm.

I have been shooting H&N 34 grains (250) slugs and cannot get any consistency in speed – for now my focus is the shot consistence and not what is the best speed for the slug.

Here is what I get so far, and the spread is 42 and the STD dev is 13 which is not good enough.

Any advice on what to do – I am close to giving up and just use my M3 instead.

hot count: 14
Low: 1002
Hi: 1044
Avg: 1017
Spread: 42
STD Dev: 13.0

There are a bunch of videos on youtube for tuning the Maverick.

https://youtu.be/aEdzPSY3WoY

In my opinion, you have max power set but that may not be the best speed/power for that slug. I would walk your power wheel setting down 1 at a time and shoot groups and see if they start to come together.

For your speed consistancy I would make small adjustments on the micro adjuster until the spread is acceptable to you.

I just started shooting a Maverick couple of months ago so this is new to me also. I don't have the slug kit and I am trying to find a balance that will allow me to shoot pellets and slugs without the kit.

Here is another youtube channel to look at, this guy explains things really well. At least for me.

https://youtu.be/gOfPnrKIm1c

Thanks for all the good advice.

I have lowered the hammer and there is now a better balance between regulator setting and hammer spring and the spread is more acceptable - not there yet but getting closer. I also changed the superior heavy liner with the standard superior liner and now the gun is grouping the NSA 36.2 slugs much better at 970 fps. At 50 meter the groups is less than 10 mm but it opens up to 30 mm at 100 meter. Definitely gettting closer to a good tune and than the harmonic barrel tuner must help fine tune.

Yes, I'd start with regulator 140/ 100 and run thru the wheel to see. You must be getting one heck of a bang out of that hammer! You can up the second 5 bar @ a time to see if you can attain accurate shots. If you get 10 130 You can up #1 if you need to 1/4 turn without degassing. You'll hear when things are singing the same tune. Accuracy is what your after!

I try to get my wheel @4 or 5. Off the extremes. Just me.