Need help finding a new scope!

Ok guys, I’m calling on the optic gurus in the house!

im looking for a replacement scope for my impact .30 that’s going to have long distance duties. I’m thinking something in the 5-25, 6-24 area with decent glass, clean reticle, mrad, FFP, good warranty, and under $500. 

now I know Thai sounds like a lot, but there’s some great mid level scopes in this price range coming out lately, but I know nothing about them. I’ve looked through an athlon Argos, and I like everything about it expect the high mag clarity. I own athlon helos, athlon Midas tac, and have owned Aztec emerald, and blackhound. The Midas tac is my favorite for clarity and reticle, but it’s a 4-16, so I’m going to put that on an incoming veteran I got. 

any help would be greatly appreciated. I’ve been looking at the Arkwn options, but I see mixed reviews. The weight doesn’t matter as it’ll be on tripod duty, but I really do like clear glass, and clean reticles as a must. 

thanks for looking!

Not a guru and don't normally shop in that magnification range but Camera Land is having a sale. The Hawke AMX 6-24x50 comes in just over your price range at $507.29 and is out of stock but worth looking at what else is out there.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/hawke-airmax-30-ffp-sf-6-24x50-amx-ir-13352/150fca10-2b47-0138-8a81-00163ecd2826?variation=2143329&query=hawke

Athlon is included in the sale but I don't believe they have an FFP that comes in under $500.

I see some of the scopes are listed as having a rebate. Not sure if that's in addition to the sale price.

I would look at the Midas Tac in 6-24X50 but it’s over your budgeted amount. I currently have an Argos Gen2 and you are correct about the image quality at high magnification. It starts gettIng a little dark and distorted past 18x but I never use it over 16x and it looks great there. I had an Arken SH4 Gen2 and the Argos had better glass if that tells you anything. A lot of people won’t even notice any difference in image quality at full magnification but if you’re used to good glass you will see the difference. I can’t think of anything anything under $500 that fits your criteria above unless you buy something used or purchase a scope with a decent discount. You will probably have a few people suggest the Helix. I have looked through 2 and neither one was as good as my Argos and maybe worse than the Arken. I didn’t have the Arken on hand so I am just going off memory here.

SH4 6-24X50 GEN2 FFP MOA VPR Illuminated Reticle with Zero Stop - 34mm Tube. This scope is the absolute best scope under 800 bucks in my opinion. It tracks reliably has a 34mm tube and tons of elevation. I believe it comes with a one piece mount as well which is a cost saver. There's a newer model I think called the ep5 that is a 5x25. The only thing that I don't like is that the eye box isn't as forgiving as a 1500 dollar scope. 

Hawke Airmax 30 WASF 10×44 Scope $479.00

It's 10 power (fixed), bright, clear, clean...the eye relief isn't bad, though it's not as large as on a $1,000+ scope (I think you can expect that given it's 1/2 the price). It does have an illuminated reticle and good construction quality.

If you haven't already looked into it:

• At 10x and higher magnification, resolution and chromatic abortion become concerns, so HR glass might be needed (depending on the features of the scope and how you're going to use it).
  • At high magnification the shooter tends to notice every wiggle, so beyond 10x or 12x is better on a bench with the gun in a rest. I shoot 12x off a bag, the wiggle can be distracting.
  • When going through as many pieces of glass as are needed in a variable-power scope, light gathering becomes a concern. 24x tends to get dark and grainy around 18x.
  • On the less-expensive scopes, turret repeatability generally "isn't great." To keep the price down plastic internals are generally used.
  • First focal plane scopes are great for hitting targets, but cost more. Second focal plane scopes are good for hunting at 100 yards or less (we're talking airgun, not powder-burners).

For $500 you might consider saving money on glass by getting a fixed-power scope (with fewer lenses than adjustable power), then putting that money into consistent turrets and better quality glass. I have both fixed and variable power scopes, and each has their uses. At around $500, better resolution is going to trump higher magnification for many people. You didn't mention how you plan to use it, so the best fit might not be what I'm describing.

For comparison, if I were looking for something around 6-24x I'd be looking into at least a Sightron SIII or more recent model, used. There was a SIGHTRON SIII 6-24X50mm FFP MOA-2 RETICLE used for $475 nine months ago. Note the heavily used Sightrons are probably going to have loose turrets but track "okay." However what fits you best is what's important.

Back to you and your budget, you might want to look into the Hawke, it's a good scope for the money and might fit your needs well. Utah Airguns, Airgun Depot, PyramydAir, OpticsPlanet, Optics Warehouse, and others sell them. Mine is from Utah Airguns, and at the time I posted this Utah Airguns had the best price.

Hawke Airmax 30 WASF 10×44 Scope $479.00

It's 10 power (fixed), bright, clear, clean...the eye relief isn't bad, though it's not as large as on a $1,000+ scope (I think you can expect that given it's 1/2 the price). It does have an illuminated reticle and good construction quality.

If you haven't already looked into it:

• At 10x and higher magnification, resolution and chromatic abortion become concerns, so HR glass might be needed (depending on the features of the scope and how you're going to use it).
  • At high magnification the shooter tends to notice every wiggle, so beyond 10x or 12x is better on a bench with the gun in a rest. I shoot 12x off a bag, the wiggle can be distracting.
  • When going through as many pieces of glass as are needed in a variable-power scope, light gathering becomes a concern. 24x tends to get dark and grainy around 18x.
  • On the less-expensive scopes, turret repeatability generally "isn't great." To keep the price down plastic internals are generally used.
  • First focal plane scopes are great for hitting targets, but cost more. Second focal plane scopes are good for hunting at 100 yards or less (we're talking airgun, not powder-burners).

For $500 you might consider saving money on glass by getting a fixed-power scope (with fewer lenses than adjustable power), then putting that money into consistent turrets and better quality glass. I have both fixed and variable power scopes, and each has their uses. At around 500, better resolution is going to trump higher magnification for many people. You didn't mention how you plan to use it, so the best fit might not be what I'm describing.

For comparison, if I were looking for something around 6-24x I'd be looking into at least a Sightron SIII or more recent model, used. There was a SIGHTRON SIII 6-24X50mm FFP MOA-2 RETICLE used for $475 nine months ago. Note the heavily used Sightrons are probably going to have loose turrets but track "okay." However what fits you best is what's important.

Back to you and your budget, you might want to look into the Hawke, it's a good scope for the money and might fit your needs well. Utah Airguns, Airgun Depot, PyramydAir, OpticsPlanet, Optics Warehouse, and others sell them. Mine is from Utah Airguns, and at the time I posted this Utah Airguns had the best price.

No fixed power for me, but that is for the recommendations. 

SH4 6-24X50 GEN2 FFP MOA VPR Illuminated Reticle with Zero Stop - 34mm Tube. This scope is the absolute best scope under 800 bucks in my opinion. It tracks reliably has a 34mm tube and tons of elevation. I believe it comes with a one piece mount as well which is a cost saver. There's a newer model I think called the ep5 that is a 5x25. The only thing that I don't like is that the eye box isn't as forgiving as a 1500 dollar scope.

I hear such mixed reviews. Even in this post, you highly recommend it, and cannonball obviously doesn’t. 

Sightron,some Nikons and the better Hawke scopes...also Burris and upper level Bushnell.

Cameraland has good sells,check them out.

Different eyes see things differently,LOL..

My advice is to also read up on long-range shooting forums,sniper den,etc.

Remember all scope companies have a tier system,better lens cost more.

I have used cheaper cost Simmons and Mueller scopes with good results out to 100 yds,cost was under $200.

I also buy most of my scopes used,that way I get a better scope at a cheaper scope price.

One thing about buying used though is you have to do more research on both the scope and the seller...

Do Your research,make it fun and you will do good.

I've owned most of them. In the 6-24X class, the Midas-Tac is the best. If you shop around and wait, prices fluctuate all over the place. On Amazon, I've seen this scope sell for anywhere between $479 and $629 depending on the time of the year. BUT, you say you want to shoot long distance?? IMO, the BEST thing to buy is a Sightron S3 10-50X in any reticle that suits you. Again, shop and wait. Keep checking Dvor, Optics Planet or look for a used one. Plan on spending $900 to $1200. Buy once, cry once but you won't regret it.

Reactions: Smok3y
I have a lot of scopes in that price range, Id stay away from the Athlon scopes I cant use high magnification on any of mine they get blurry. I have a Arkan 4-16-50 I like the glass and recital but only focus to 25 yards. I love the Meopta scopes but mine are second focal plane. The best scope of the bunch is the Bushnell Engage 6-24-50 First focal plane illuminated MOA recital great glass focus down to 10 yards. I like these scopes so much I have 3 0f them. Midway has them on sale for under 500.00 normal price is 900.00 check it out. 

I have a Hawke 6x24x56 Sidewinder I bought in January on my TX200. I have over 3000 rounds through it mostly shooting either 25 yd groups or small dots. Scope ha been perfect. Bump it a click and t moves about half a pellet. Holds POI and has been totally repeatable. I paid less than 400.00 for it. I have 4 centerfire bench guns with scopes from 2000.00 to 3000.00 on them. This Hawke impresses me.