• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Need help deciding on a gun

I am in the market for a new gun and I have my eyes set on 2. I will be using a hand pump so need to keep this in mind. I already have the hand pump. I am used to pumping my .25 almost 100 ft-lbs slug shooter airforce condor lol but now I want a plinker

Gun number 1 - FX Streamline .25

Cons I think about are pumping a lot with 2 guns and not having enough air for hunting on winter days. I don’t wanna pack a pump with me for an all day adventure. 

Gun number 2 - FX Indepenence .25

Cons I think about are maintenance on the pump part, pumping a lot, and keeping consistent shots since it doesn’t seem to be regulated. Also not a lot of reviews on YouTube about it so I can’t really figure out what kinda power it puts out. 

I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around it and need some more feed back from others. 

Those are both good guns - your main worry seems to be shot count. You might look at what guns have a higher shot count for the money. Then again, if you count up the shots you take on a hunt, you may not need as many as you think. I have the impact in 22 and can get 100-120 shots off before needing to refill.

The alternative, like cahil2 said - but whatever gun you can/want and get a bottle to refill from or a small compressor that can recharge in the field. 

Or you can go to Tom Gaylord's blog at the Pyramyd Air site online. Link to his blog is halfway down the main page. Tom's got a multi-part review of the Seneca Aspen PCP/multi-pump, and his latest installment shows some excellent accuracy. Tom says that a few pumps between each shot "makes you the regulator", meaning it produces extremely consistent power. His testing leads him to consider the gun less a PCP than a really innovative pumper. Worth a read given what you've shared in your OP.

I am all in on the concept of adjustable power for "plinking" and increasing shot count, I'm several hundred pellets in on a new .22 Streamline, I love the platform, light solid great trigger, I use it for informal target and plinking, use it on mid power 715fps with JSB 15.89's, I know you want a .25cal. and the .25 Streamline also has power adjuster, I would say Streamline, for higher shot count .25 plinker I love the Bobcat Mk2 .25 on low power, 160+ shots at 660fps, heavy to carry though. If your not set in stone on the .25cal. the .22 Streamline has 3 power settings, GREAT for plinking! AOA has the Streamlines bundled with the FX 6x18 scope with rings right now, that helped me to decide. I've read of corrosion issues on the Independence I like the concept but I'll stick with the Streamline.

I can't give my opinions on what gun to buy or what I consider a plinker. I do know you remind me of Manny. Had like 5 pumps and rotated while 1st one cooled. He shot & pumped a lot. 

I started with pumps, when I got a CF bottle, as a dive shop is less than 1/2 hour from me, literally 10-15 miles at most, I started shooting a whole lot more. I had a .25 AAA Condor, 500cc bottle guns. I would not, nor ever did pump those. Even when pumping it was always from lowest fill so at most 75 strokes got me topped off.

With all the new compressors out, prices falling on higher end ones to stay in the game, why not? I mean, you can literally get a Long Heng compressor for same price as a brand new Hill pump. I have one of those also but want a G6 or G7 to be a back up as air guns to me are relaxation, but also bottom line survival if need be. Forget that all wild game would be gone within one week if everyone were in same situation.

OK, I'll tell you my opinion on your questions. Streamline all the way. IF, I were considering an Independence, it would be flushed now that the Nova Freedom/Aspen is on scene. You could buy the PCP/pneumatic pump Aspen, scope, Yong Heng, and any sleeve of whatever caliber you want on $ saved. As a plinking gun, I don't consider anything above .22 plinking. Or the fact that new JSB's in .22 come in as heavy as 33.95, heavy Eun Jins, other custom cast slugs, heavy .22's have a higher BC & more penetration, which in my eyes, would make me skip from .22 right to .30 or bigger if need be. Kings are supremely accurate and I'm not knocking them. I just wouldn't limit myself as it's easy enough to make a fair even trade for any other equal # of pellets.

Everyone has 1st hand experience or advice. I was told long ago to buy a good Bauer when I had money. I bought a house instead. I wish I'd bought the Bauer but I didn't make a foolish choice. What I did do that was foolish was chase every new or allegedly best rifle out there when I had some "can't get any better" ones go through my hands. It's objective. New guns are engineered much more efficiently than 10 years ago. This is one reason I wait. I'm content with what I have. Meaning, yes, I want everything I see that gets rave reviews; but I don't need every new rifle. Of everything I learned I'd say the new Crown/Impact fully adjustable via externally is top of my list type.

Hey, good luck. At least you can afford to play & see the benefits. Many guys are stuck on why would I want a BB gun that costs 3x's as much as my Rem 700. My answer to them is always the same. More trigger time & cost of ammo pays for itself in no time at all on a comparison basis, so don't fear listing those pellets in a trade if there happens to be a caliber other than .25 you'd like to try. 

My first adult airgun was an Airforce Condor SS .22 and a hill MK3 pump. I am a decient size guy 5’11” 230 lb muscular build but pumping gets old quick if you like to shoot a lot as I do. I didn’t have the Condor very long and as soon as I got more money available I bought a RWS Diana 54 Air King in .22 one of the best decisions I have made in airguns. Awsome springer! For a plinker and small game hunter I would recommend Tipan Veteran .22 Shorty absolute tac driver and great shot count 40 to 50 shots depending on fil pressure 230 bar max. If you don’t like Bullpups a Brocock bantam Highlite nice gun but expensive mags. If these new E pumps prove out you can fill straight to your guns with low cost and no tank worries. 

I would just wait a bit and see how the first ones go and get feedback from first run of buyers before spending the money on one.

You are talking over a grand for the Dreamline or Streamline which is supposedly going to be discontinued.

When I was about to purchase an Independance years ago I saw several videos and read reviews posted on the pump issues and that

saved me a lot of grief and ended up not buying one. I would have been pissed if it broke on me since it was so expensive regardless

of warranty because I would have been without my expensive gun while it was being repaired for how long?. Then after that, I would have a mental problem being paranoid trying to trust it not to break again. I try to live stress free. Do my homework before buying anything nowdays.

I can confidently say that I am pleased shooting my extremely easy to pump 177 Nova Freedom PCP Pumper I have which is my Go-To gun now.

Pumping a PCP rifle to 3000psi with a hand pump really takes the fun out of shooting IMHO... 25 caliber uses a LOT of AIR!

JMHO.

CA

With so many nice choices out there, it's a tough decision for sure.

I have a Streamline 22, it's an excellent all round rifle. Very accurate and fairly light, very efficient with air and not too bad to pump......I did that for few months before buying a tank.

My SL gets 55 shots on the reg on High power, 70+ on Mid power, and 100+ on Low power.....super accurate at all power levels.

I just bought a new rifle today.......took me a few days to finally decide between the few I narrowed my choices down to......I chose the FX Crown 22. There's no hand-pumping that though!