Need help choosing EDgun Matador R5M

Dan1

Nov 29, 2015
Mass
Hi I need your help choosing between R5M 22 or 25 and Between long or standard.
Is there big different between them please explain. I am a springer guy, I have Daystate renegade in 22. don't use it that much. I like the look of R5M.
Rarely go beyond 50 yards some time 75.

Thanks in advance Dan.

I have the R5 .30 standard. If shooting at 50+ yards >50% of the time or hunting, I'd go with the .25 caliber. The standard will consume more air per shot for the same given velocity vs the long, due to it's shorter barrel and possibly shorter air tank. I chose the standard for maneuverability and weight reduction since I take mine in the field to hunt. If you're thinking you'll be doing more bench shooting, shooting paper, the long would be better since it'll be easier to support on a rest. The long may actually get more shots per fill than the standard as well.
The .22 caliber would be an excellent choice for shooting within 50 yards. You may save a few pennies shooting the 22 vs the 25 as well if cost is a major concern for ammo, although recently the price of JSB's has gone up.

The Long has the really large stripper vent. It can be unusually quiet. It is really not much longer than the R3M Standard overall. I had an R3M STD already that is awesome at 46 FtLb with the 25.4s. I got the R5M Long in .25 and tuned for the 34s at 63 FtLb. In hindsight I would not change a thing. I am a huge fan of the R5M Long. This gun is better suited to shooting from stationary positions supported IMO but does shoulder just fine. A person could walk the woods with it, but for that I would grab the R3M due solely to weight... and I have it.

All that said, it’s overkill for 75 yards max shooting. I would recommend you get the R5M Long and tune for the 25.4s. With a Huma/Plenum you can probably tune down to 105 BAR.

"Dan1"Hi I need your help choosing between R5M 22 or 25 and Between long or standard.
Is there big different between them please explain. I am a springer guy, I have Daystate renegade in 22. don't use it that much. I like the look of R5M.
Rarely go beyond 50 yards some time 75.
Thanks in advance Dan.
Get the .25. You’ve got the .22 Renegade to cover light work.

You should share what you intend to do with it. If primarily hunting, get the Std. Your going to love the extra power the .25 delivers!!!