• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Need help and direction in regards to purchasing a new PCP in .25 or .30 cal

Hi everyone,

My name is Lee and I live in Melbourne Australia. I have been in the shooting and hunting game for many years and now I want to add a PCP to my collection.
I have been spending quite a lot of hours doing research on the internet and You Tube. Now I don't have an issue paying top dollar,certainly love quality and 
expect perfection. My list of contenders so far are:

1. Daystate
2. Air Arms
3. FX - ( Very concerned about the issue's people have been having with them)
4. RAW

Any further sugestions, help and advise would be very appreciated.

Kind Regards

You have the top contenders. There are a few others as well. This is like betting on horses. After you check all the stats go with the one that looks the best to you. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the four. If you are hunting you may want to consider the weight of the rifle or go with a Bullpup. If you are looking for a bench rest model, the RAW may be a top pick. If you are looking for inovation and multiple calibers rifles check out the FX. Seriously, when you go down this path, you end up with several rifles. 
Best of luck with your pick,

NM

Reactions: GeronimoKY
Hi NM,thanks for replying. Sorry I have not responded sooner as I have not been well. I really love the FX Impact in the Silver option in .30 and If I go this option I will most certainly by another barrel in .22 as well. I have narrowed the list to the following:

FX Impact
FX Boss
Daystate Wolverine HiLite 303
RAW 1000x (Awaiting on a package deal quotation on this atm)

Have been informed that the RAW 1000x is a built to order item from the dealer which takes 12 weeks with a 50% deposit, I have really love the RAW as well and could just use that for bench only.

Merry Xmas and a Happy & Safe New Year to everyone and there families !!!!!!! 

G'day Lee, good to see another Aussie on here, mate what are you mostly going to be shooting? May help with the decision on which airgun to purchase, personally would love to have a RAW, just not sure if I could justify the cost when they get to this country and an FX Boss was on my list but chose the Royale 500,if you are not after a bullpup may be worth having a look at, more than happy with this tack driver and it is the first gun out of the safe when heading to the range, admittedly it is the second one that was sent to me as the first one had a lot of quality issues and was sent back without a single pellet being fired, big thumbsup for the service from Hermanns.A warning though, PCP airguns are seriously addictive, ask any of this mob on this forum😈

Reactions: GeronimoKY
Your choice depends a lot on your intended use. To aid your state of confusion/deliberation I can offer the following based on personal experience.

I own a Daystate Airwolf in 25. Cricket bullpups in 22 & 25, a 25 cal Marauder, and an FX400. I have also used fellow shooters FX500 and FX Boss.

If Iwere to choose the FX rifles, I would opt for the tried and true proven FX500/Boss platform rather than the Impact. Their only minus is that the factory moderator is not entirely efective. Also the FX500,much like my Airwolf, is only a ca. 46 FT lb rifle.
my 25 cal.

My Cricket provides acuracy which is at least as good as the Airwolf or FX500 and provides 50+ FT lb of energy. The minuses to the Cricket platform are the lack of a safety, the tender touch required to insert a magazine, and the weight of the synthetic stocked bullpups. Super accuracy for a relatively moderate price and effective moderators.

My 25 cal. Airwolf is equipped with the Huggett moderator and is very quiet. The electronic trigger is superb and the magazines while pricey are super reliable. It is a good BR rifle but a bit heavy for field use.

The 25 cal. Marauder is a bargain in terms of price (at least here I the USA). In terms of accuracy and power it approximates the performance of my Airwolf. The only significant minus is it,s limited shot capacity, sixteen shots at ca. 870 fps with a less than 10 fps ES.

Penchetta has some RAW's in stock for immediate delivery. Of the 4 FX guns I own I have had no problem what so ever. Boss, Impact and Wildcat in 22 and 25. I have no experience with other brands, but their are some good ones. I hunt and personally do not take the Boss out except to the bench. For me, just to long. Plus it's not a gun that's comfortable to have laying on the back seat of my pickup. Of the guns I own if I had to pick just one all-round gun it would be the Wildcat 25. Light, hits hard, accurate, comfortable to shoot, mag loads easy with one hand and it's robust enough I can lay it on back seat of the pickup without worry. The Impact is going to be the same way only with all the advantages of cal changes, way higher shot count and adjustability. But once you get it died in most people don't change. The only down side of the Impact for me is the mag is not as easy to load as the Wildcat. Good luck

"GQ"TonyT , whatd do you mean by the Impact regulator issue ? Can you elaborate more please.
Neither my FX400 , Airwolf or Marauder are regulated. I do not own an Impact. My comment related to the effectiveness of the factory moderator/silencer on the FX500 & Boss. They are not as effective as either the Huggett or the factory Cricket units.

Happy Holiday's everyone. Just back from being away from e-mail for 4 months. Having just received an RAW TM 1000, all I have to say is wow. (Sorry but I haven't figured out pictures yet) These rifles are in a different league than the FX, Daystate, AA, etc. It looks simply georgous and the accuracy is even better than my FX Royale 200 and 500. If you can spare the $2,200 go for the RAW. Of course, as others have said, what you're going to do with it matters. If you're hunting, the RAW's are pretty heavy (9+ lbs in laminate and 8+ lbs in walnut). But, Oh My, are they beautiful and solid. The trigger, to me, is even better than the FX Boss/Royale tirggers. (Can you tell I like my new rifle?)

On the other hand I'm on board with Strikey. The Royale 500 is really accurate, has power adjustment and crazy shot count. (over 80 at high power). Tony, I think the factory moderator is very effective. I would call the Royale 500 backyard friendly. I haven't heard it with the Hugget though. In terms of .25 vs .30 my two cents is now that the JSB .25 Heavies are out the .25 is a superior caliber. More shot count, uses way less air and more than twice as many pellets per dollar. And if you're looking for it, they smack very hard. Anyways, have fun deciding and enjoy what you get. You're in the stratusphere with these brands, so whatever you get, it's going to be awsome. 

"NMshooter"You have the top contenders. There are a few others as well. This is like betting on horses. After you check all the stats go with the one that looks the best to you. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the four. If you are hunting you may want to consider the weight of the rifle or go with a Bullpup. If you are looking for a bench rest model, the RAW may be a top pick. If you are looking for inovation and multiple calibers rifles check out the FX. Seriously, when you go down this path, you end up with several rifles. 
Best of luck with your pick,

NM
I would normally agree if the requirement wasn't for a 25 or 30 cal. I'd skip anything Daystate or Air Arms in 25 cal. 

Beyond that, more criteria is needed to narrow it down. 

Personally, I find that heavy rifles spoil my enjoyment of a hunting trip but I walk in the woods. For some people hunting is sitting in a blind and shooting from a rest. If weight is no issue then the RAW and Boss are both fine choices.

For me, you can't beat bullpups for hunting. I'll never go back to carrying a pole volt. 

Just checked AOA's site, the AirWolf does shoot at 40FPE and would be a good choice. I would agree that the bull pups in these calibers for both brands are underpowered for the US. I am uncertain if there is power restriction in Austrailia like there is in Britain. If there is, these calibers would work for you. I will confess that I was quite disappointed in both the Pulsar and the Galahad in .25 due low FPE.
Best of luck with your decision.

Kitplanenut, I probably didn't make it very clear, sorry, but the no safety was referring to the Cricket, as much I would like one of those I doubt I will ever see one Downunder. The laws regarding suppressors and FSB's where changed for the worse a few years ago and take my word for it that you need hearing protection with the FX500 but not quite as bad as my .22 Huntsman at 45fpe, have tuned that one back to 30fpe and is much more sociable,lol

NMshooter, no power restrictions with airguns in Australia so the importers and dealers are always pushing the high velocity/ power marketing line which as we know is not always the best for airgun accuracy.

"Strikey"Kitplanenut, I probably didn't make it very clear, sorry, but the no safety was referring to the Cricket, as much I would like one of those I doubt I will ever see one Downunder. The laws regarding suppressors and FSB's where changed for the worse a few years ago and take my word for it that you need hearing protection with the FX500 but not quite as bad as my .22 Huntsman at 45fpe, have tuned that one back to 30fpe and is much more sociable,lol

NMshooter, no power restrictions with airguns in Australia so the importers and dealers are always pushing the high velocity/ power marketing line which as we know is not always the best for airgun accuracy.
Strikey- The Cricket Carbines does have a safety. It's a little fussy at first but it is there. I have my .22 Carbine shooting around 32FPE. I have several Falcon rifles shooting around 14FPE, I will confess it would really SUCK if I was limited to sub 20 FPE for all my rifles. 

"LDP"Zebra out of curiosity whats wrong with daystates in .25? I understand AA because the lower power if thats a concern for the purchaser otherwise an AA in .25 is very accurate.
My opinion is that all Daystate 25 cal guns are underpowered except the airwolf extreme which is too long (or too long for my taste in hunting rifles anyway). 

My understanding is that their 25 mechanical guns don't use their slingshot hammer system which is their answer to the regulated gun. i'm not 100% on that. It's just what people here have said. In general though, I haven't been too impressed with the strings I've seen for any of their 25's except the Airwolf extreme.

The 25 cal Daystates I have owned and used have been loud and inefficient too. Just like with most of the British brands, they seem like an afterthought that didn't get the same care and attention as their lower powered guns. 

I think that FX and Kalibrgun's approach to designing a 25 cal is significantly better. Instead of just slapping a 25 cal barrel onto the 22, they give them a larger reservoir, a longer shroud, a longer barrel and a more powerful valve system. As a result, their 25 cal Wildcat, Bobcat, Crickets etc don't suffer low shot counts and they allow you to retain a similarly flat trajectory to their 22's. 

Some people might think those things don't matter but they matter to me. I think 25 cal guns should put out 47-52fpe with commonly used pellets. I prefer regulated guns too as I dislike horse-shoe curves. If I was going to buy another Daystate, it would be a 22 or a .177 which I think is where they play best. 

"ddransoml"That's why both my AA's are in .22...they're .25's are less than 10fpe more...I'd rather not pay extra for ammo for negligible muzzle energy when they're .22's will allow you to earhole a squirrel at 50yrds
Exactly. That's what it boils down to. Their 25's are pointless. If it is going to be powered like a 22, you are better off with a 22. 

35fpe is powerful for a 22 but a disappointment on a 25 unless it's a pistol or teeny tiny itty bitty little carbine thingy.

My Airtwwolf in 25 provides 50 shots with a 10 fps ES from a 210 BAR fill at ca 40-42 Ft lb. from their 500 cc bottle. My Cricket 25 provides 50 shots with the same ES at 56 ft lb with a 350 cc bottle from a 210 BAR fill. With my 22 cal. Cricket with a 280 cc reservoir I obtain 80 regulated shots at 30 ft lb from a 210 BAR fill. The Crickets appear to be more efficeint in terms of air usage than the Airwolf.